Tracking Problems, Hedge Fund Replication, and Alternative Beta
As hedge fund replication based on factor models has encountered growing interest among professionals and academics, and despite the launch of numerous products (indexes and mutual funds) in the past year, it has faced many critics. In this paper, we consider two of the main critiques, namely the lack of reactivity of hedge fund replication, its deficiency in capturing tactical allocations, and the lack of access to the alpha of hedge funds. To address these problems, we consider hedge fund replication as a general tracking problem which may be solved by means of Bayesian filters. Using the example provided by Roncalli and Teiletche (2008), we detail how the Kalman filter tracks changes in exposures, and show that it provides a replication methodology with a satisfying economic interpretation. Finally, we address the problem of accessing the pure alpha by proposing a core/satellite approach of alternative investments between high-liquid alternative beta and less liquid investments. Non-normality and non-linearities documented on hedge fund returns are investigated using the same framework in a companion paper [Roncalli and Weisang (2009)].
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 31 (2011)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +1 212 284 8600
Web page: http://www.capco.com/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonio Diez de los Rios & René Garcia, 2006.
"Assessing and Valuing the Non-Linear Structure of Hedge Fund Returns,"
06-31, Bank of Canada.
- Antonio Diez De Los Rios & René Garcia, 2011. "Assessing and valuing the nonlinear structure of hedge fund returns," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(2), pages 193-212, March.
- Fung, William & Hsieh, David A, 1997. "Empirical Characteristics of Dynamic Trading Strategies: The Case of Hedge Funds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(2), pages 275-302.
- Fung, William & Hsieh, David A., 1999. "A primer on hedge funds," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 309-331, September.
- Arnaud Doucet & Vladislav Tadić, 2003. "Parameter estimation in general state-space models using particle methods," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 55(2), pages 409-422, June.
- Fung, W. & Hsieh, D A., 2007. "Hedge fund replication strategies: implications for investors and regulators," Financial Stability Review, Banque de France, issue 10, pages 55-66, April.
- Vikas Agarwal, 2004. "Risks and Portfolio Decisions Involving Hedge Funds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(1), pages 63-98.
- Teiletche, Jérôme & Roncalli, Thierry, 2008.
"An alternative approach to alternative beta,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/812, Paris Dauphine University.
- Amin, Gaurav S. & Kat, Harry M., 2003.
"Hedge Fund Performance 1990–2000: Do the “Money Machines” Really Add Value?,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(02), pages 251-274, June.
- Gaurav Amin & Harry. M Kat, 2001. "Hedge Fund Performance 1990-2000- Do the "Money Machines" Really Add Value?," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2001-05, Henley Business School, Reading University, revised Sep 2001.
- Merton, Robert C, 1981. "On Market Timing and Investment Performance. I. An Equilibrium Theory of Value for Market Forecasts," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(3), pages 363-406, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:jofitr:1453. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Springett)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.