Tracking problems, hedge fund replication and alternative beta
As hedge fund replication based on factor models has encountered growing interest among professionals and academics, and despite the launch of numerous products (indexes and mutual funds) in the past year, it faced many critics. In this paper, we consider three of the main critiques, namely the lack of reactivity of hedge fund replication and its deficiency in capturing tactical allocations; its failure to apprehend non-linear positions of the underlying hedge fund industry and higher moments of hedge fund returns; and, finally, the lack of access to the alpha of hedge funds. To address these problems, we consider hedge fund replication as a general tracking problem which may be solved by means of Bayesian filters. Using the linear Gaussian model as a basis for discussion, we provide the reader with an intuition for the inner tenets of the Kalman filter and illustrate the results' sensitivity to the algorithm specification choices. This part of the paper includes considerations on the type of strategies which can be replicated, as well as the problem of selecting factors. We then apply more advanced Bayesian filters' algorithms, known as particle filters, to capture the non-normality and non-linearities documented on hedge fund returns. Finally, we address the problem of accessing the pure alpha by proposing a core/satellite approach of alternative investments between high-liquid alternative beta and less liquid investments.
|Date of creation:||24 Dec 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/812 is not listed on IDEAS
- Merton, Robert C, 1981. "On Market Timing and Investment Performance. I. An Equilibrium Theory of Value for Market Forecasts," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(3), pages 363-406, July.
- Amin, Gaurav S. & Kat, Harry M., 2003.
"Hedge Fund Performance 1990–2000: Do the “Money Machines” Really Add Value?,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(02), pages 251-274, June.
- Gaurav Amin & Harry. M Kat, 2001. "Hedge Fund Performance 1990-2000- Do the "Money Machines" Really Add Value?," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2001-05, Henley Business School, Reading University, revised Sep 2001.
- Antonio Diez De Los Rios & René Garcia, 2011.
"Assessing and valuing the nonlinear structure of hedge fund returns,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(2), pages 193-212, March.
- Antonio Diez de los Rios & René Garcia, 2006. "Assessing and Valuing the Non-Linear Structure of Hedge Fund Returns," Staff Working Papers 06-31, Bank of Canada.
- Fung, William & Hsieh, David A, 1997. "Empirical Characteristics of Dynamic Trading Strategies: The Case of Hedge Funds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(2), pages 275-302.
- Fung, William & Hsieh, David A., 1999. "A primer on hedge funds," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 309-331, September.
- Arnaud Doucet & Vladislav Tadić, 2003. "Parameter estimation in general state-space models using particle methods," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 55(2), pages 409-422, June.
- Vikas Agarwal, 2004. "Risks and Portfolio Decisions Involving Hedge Funds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(1), pages 63-98.
- Roncalli, Thierry & Teiletche, Jérôme, 2008. "An Alternative Approach to Alternative Beta," Journal of Financial Transformation, Capco Institute, vol. 24, pages 43-52.
- Fung, W. & Hsieh, D A., 2007. "Hedge fund replication strategies: implications for investors and regulators," Financial Stability Review, Banque de France, issue 10, pages 55-66, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:37358. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.