Performance of lag length selection criteria in three different situations
Determination of the lag length of an autoregressive process is one of the most difficult parts of ARIMA modeling. Various lag length selection criteria (Akaike Information Criterion, Schwarz Information Criterion, Hannan-Quinn Criterion, Final Prediction Error, Corrected version of AIC) have been proposed in the literature to overcome this difficulty. We have compared these criteria for lag length selection for three different cases that is under normal errors, under non-normal errors and under structural break by using Monte Carlo simulation. It has been found that SIC is the best for large samples and no criteria is useful for selecting true lag length in presence of regime shifts or shocks to the system.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chow, Gregory C., 1981. "A comparison of the information and posterior probability criteria for model selection," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 21-33, May.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2004:i:33:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hirotugu Akaike, 1969. "Fitting autoregressive models for prediction," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 243-247, December.
- Akaike, Hirotugu, 1981. "Likelihood of a model and information criteria," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 3-14, May.
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew, 2004. "Which Lag Length Selection Criteria Should We Employ?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(33), pages 1-9.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:40042. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.