The Interdependence of the Stock Markets of Slovenia, The Czech Republic and Hungary with Some Developed European Stock Markets – The Effects of Joining the European Union and the Global Financial Crisis
This article examines how the interdependence of three Central and Eastern European (CEE) stock markets, represented by the stock indices LJSEX (Slovenia), PX (Czech Republic) and BUX (Hungary), and some developed European stock markets (Austria, represented by the ATX; France, represented by the CAC40; Germany, represented by the DAX; and Great Britain, represented by the FTSE100) has evolved in the period from April 1997 to May 2010. We have divided the total observation period into three sub-periods: the period before the three CEE countries joined the European Union, the period from European Union membership until the start of the global financial crisis, and the period after the global financial crisis began. A non-conditional correlation analysis and linear and nonlinear Granger causality tests were applied on the daily return series. The results showed that interdependence increased from the first to the third sub-period, and that the CEE stock markets have been less correlated than developed stock markets. Granger causality tests have revealed the existence of numerous statistically significant stock market return spillovers, which changed between the investigated sub-periods.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberto Rigobon, 2002.
"Contagion: How to Measure It?,"
in: Preventing Currency Crises in Emerging Markets, pages 269-334
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diks, Cees & Panchenko, Valentyn, 2006.
"A new statistic and practical guidelines for nonparametric Granger causality testing,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 30(9-10), pages 1647-1669.
- Diks, C.G.H. & Panchenko, V., 2004. "A new statistic and practical guidelines for nonparametric Granger causality testing," CeNDEF Working Papers 04-11, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Serwa, Dobromil & Bohl, Martin T., 2005. "Financial contagion vulnerability and resistance: A comparison of European stock markets," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 344-362, September.
- Bekiros, S. & Diks, C.G.H., 2007.
"The Nonlinear Dynamic Relationship of Exchange Rates: Parametric and Nonparametric Causality testing,"
CeNDEF Working Papers
07-08, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Bekiros, Stelios D. & Diks, Cees G.H., 2008. "The nonlinear dynamic relationship of exchange rates: Parametric and nonparametric causality testing," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1641-1650, December.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992.
"Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Horobet, Alexandra & Lupu, Radu, 2009. "Are Capital Markets Integrated? A Test of Information Transmission within the European Union," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 6(2), pages 64-80, June.
- B Harrison & W Moore, 2010. "Stock Market Co-Movement in the Caribbean," Economic Issues Journal Articles, Economic Issues, vol. 15(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Pop Silaghi, Monica Ioana, 2009. "Exports-Economic Growth Causality: Evidence from CEE Countries," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 6(2), pages 105-117, June.
- Kasa, Kenneth, 1992. "Common stochastic trends in international stock markets," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 95-124, February.
- Necula, Ciprian, 2010. "Modeling the Dependency Structure of Stock Index Returns using a Copula Function Approach," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(3), pages 93-106, September.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2004:i:33:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew, 2004. "Which Lag Length Selection Criteria Should We Employ?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(33), pages 1-9.
- Asghar, Zahid & Abid, Irum, 2007. "Performance of lag length selection criteria in three different situations," MPRA Paper 40042, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Richard D. F. Harris & Anirut Pisedtasalasai, 2006. "Return and Volatility Spillovers Between Large and Small Stocks in the UK," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(9-10), pages 1556-1571.
- Gilmore, Claire G. & McManus, Ginette M., 2002. "International portfolio diversification: US and Central European equity markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 69-83, March.
- Bessler, David A. & Yang, Jian, 2003. "The structure of interdependence in international stock markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 261-287, April.
- Harrison, Barry & Moore, Winston, 2009. "Stock Market Como Vement In The European Union And Transition Countries," Studii Financiare (Financial Studies), Centre of Financial and Monetary Research "Victor Slavescu", vol. 13(3), pages 124-151.
- Longin, Francois & Solnik, Bruno, 1995. "Is the correlation in international equity returns constant: 1960-1990?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-26, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rjr:romjef:v::y:2012:i:4:p:163-180. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.