Are Capital Markets Integrated? A Test of Information Transmission within the European Union
Central and Eastern European (CEE) stock markets have gradually attracted international investors’ attention after 1990, and their integration into the European capital market will lead to increased maturity of these markets, accompanied by higher attractiveness to international investors. The paper analyses the stock markets of five emerging countries from the CEE region – the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania and the Russian Federation – as against four major European Union markets – Austria, France, Germany and the United Kingdom – over the 2003-2007 period and aims at identifying the speed and significance of information transmission among them, as embedded in stock market returns. By employing co-integration and Granger causality tests with different data frequencies, we investigate the long- and short-run relationships among these markets and interpret the findings in the context of international capital market integration.
Volume (Year): 6 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13, Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172|
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2003.
"International Financial Integration,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3769, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian Milesi-Ferretti, 2003. "International Financial Integration," IMF Working Papers 03/86, International Monetary Fund.
- Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, & Philip R. Lane, 2003. "International Financial Integration," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp03, IIIS.
- Philip R. Lane & G.M. Milesi-Ferretti, 2003. "International Financial Integration," Trinity Economics Papers 20031, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Chan, Kam C & Gup, Benton E & Pan, Ming-Shiun, 1992. "An Empirical Analysis of Stock Prices in Major Asian Markets and the United States," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 27(2), pages 289-307, May.
- MacDonald, Ronald & Kearney, Colm, 1987. "On the specification of granger-causality tests using the cointegration methodology," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 149-153.
- Alexandr Cerny, 2004.
"Stock market integration and the speed of information transmission,"
CERGE-EI Working Papers
wp242, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- Alexandr Èerný & Michal Koblas, 2008. "Stock Market Integration and the Speed of Information Transmission," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 58(01-02), pages 2-20, January.
- Edison, Hali J. & Levine, Ross & Ricci, Luca & Slok, Torsten, 2002.
"International financial integration and economic growth,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 749-776, November.
- Torsten Sloek & Hali J. Edison & Luca Antonio Ricci & Ross Levine, 2002. "International Financial Integration and Economic Growth," IMF Working Papers 02/145, International Monetary Fund.
- Hali J. Edison & Ross Levine & Luca Ricci & Torsten Slok, 2002. "International Financial Integration and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 9164, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell R. Harvey, 1994.
"Predictable Risk and Returns in Emerging Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
4621, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anete Pajuste, 2002. "Corporate Governance and Stock Market Performance in Central and Eastern Europe: A Study of nine countries, 1994-2001”," Working Papers 22, CENTRE FOR THE STUDY OF ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL CHANGE IN EUROPE,School of Slavonic and East European Studies,University College London (SSEES,UCL).
- Fratzscher, M., 2001.
"Financial Market Integration in Europe: On the Effects of EMU on Stock Markets,"
48, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Fratzscher, Marcel, 2002. "Financial Market Integration in Europe: On the Effects of EMU on Stock Markets," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(3), pages 165-93, July.
- Fratzscher, Marcel, 2001. "Financial market integration in Europe: on the effects of EMU on stock markets," Working Paper Series 0048, European Central Bank.
- Kpate ADJAOUTÉ & Jean-Pierre DANTHINE, 2003. "European Financial Integration and Equity Returns: A Theory-Based Assessment," FAME Research Paper Series rp84, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Chen, Gong-meng & Firth, Michael & Meng Rui, Oliver, 2002. "Stock market linkages: Evidence from Latin America," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1113-1141, June.
- Philip Arestis & Santonu Basu, 2004.
"Financial Globalization and Regulation,"
- Kasa, Kenneth, 1992. "Common stochastic trends in international stock markets," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 95-124, February.
- Stijn Claessens & Daniela Klingebiel & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2002. "The Future of Stock Exchanges in Emerging Economies: Evolution and Prosepcts," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-03, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Foresti, Pasquale, 2006. "Testing for Granger causality between stock prices and economic growth," MPRA Paper 2962, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2007.
- Bracker, Kevin & Docking, Diane Scott & Koch, Paul D., 1999. "Economic determinants of evolution in international stock market integration," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Reszat, Beate, 2003. "How has the European Monetary Integration Process Contributed to Regional Financial Market Integration?," HWWA Discussion Papers 221, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Granger, Clive W J, 1986. "Developments in the Study of Cointegrated Economic Variables," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 48(3), pages 213-28, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rjr:romjef:v:6:y:2009:i:2:p:64-80. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.