Gas Release and Transport Capacity Investment as Instruments to Foster Competition in Gas Markets
Motivated by recent policy events experienced by the European natural gas industry, this paper develops a simple model for analyzing the interaction between gas release and capacity investment programs as tools to improve the performance of imperfectly competitive markets. We consider a regional market in which a measure that has an incumbent release part of its gas to a marketer complements a program of investment in transport capacity dedicated to imports by the marketer, at a regulated transport charge, of competitively-priced gas. First, we examine the case where transport capacity is regulated while gas release is not, i.e., the volume of gas released is determined by the incumbent. We then analyze the effect of the "artifcial" duopoly created by the regulator when the latter regulates both gas release and transport capacity. Finally, using information on the French industry, we calibrate the basic demand and cost elements of the model and perform some simulations of these two scenarios. Besides allowing us to analyze the economic properties of these scenarios, a policy implication that comes out of the empirical analysis is that, when combined with network expansion investments, gas-release measures applied under regulatory control are indeed effective short-term policies for promoting gas-to-gas competition.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manufacture des Tabacs, Aile Jean-Jacques Laffont, 21 Allée de Brienne, 31000 TOULOUSE|
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, July.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Gasmi, Farid & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 2003. "Access to Pipelines in Competitive Gas Markets," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 5-33, July.
- Corinne Chaton & Farid Gasmi & Marie-Laure Guillerminet & Juan D. Oviedo, 2008. "Un instrument de court terme pour stimuler la concurrence. Le gas release," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 59(3), pages 475-486.
- Farid Gasmi & Juan Daniel Oviedo, 2012. "Controlling regional monopolies in the natural gas industry: the role of transport capacity," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 010073, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Cédric Clastres & Laurent David, 2009. "The impact of asymmetric regulation on surplus and welfare : the case of gas release programmes," Post-Print halshs-00442213, HAL.
- Cédric Clastres & Laurent David, 2009. "The impact of asymmetric regulation on surplus and welfare: the case of gas release programmes," OPEC Energy Review, Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, vol. 33(2), pages 97-110, 06.
- Noureddine Krichene, 2005. "A Simultaneous Equations Model for World Crude Oil and Natural Gas Markets," IMF Working Papers 05/32, International Monetary Fund.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 2002. "Competition in gas markets," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(4-5), pages 928-935, May.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/11509 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ide:wpaper:23564. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.