Controlling regional monopolies in the natural gas industry: the role of transport capacity
This paper analyzes some optimal fiscal, pricing, and capacity investment policies for controlling regional monopoly power in the natural gas industry. By letting the set of control instruments available to the social planner vary, we provide a characterization of the technological and demand conditionsunder which excess" capacity in the transport network arises in response to the loss of the two other control instruments, namely, transfers and pricing. Hence, the analysis yields some insights on an economy´s incentives to invest in infrastructures for the purpose of integrating geographically isolated markets."
|Date of creation:||29 Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leautier, Thomas-Olivier, 2001. "Transmission Constraints and Imperfect Markets for Power," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 27-54, January.
- Arthur De Vany & W. David Walls, 1994. "Open Access And The Emergence Of A Competitive Natural Gas Market," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(2), pages 77-96, 04.
- Oviedo, Juan-Daniel & Guillerminet, Marie-Laure & Gasmi, Farid & Chaton, Corinne, 2012. "Gas Release and Transport Capacity Investment as Instruments to Foster Competition in Gas Markets," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11504, Paris Dauphine University.
- Chaton, Corinne & Gasmi, Farid & Guillerminet, Marie-Laure & Oviedo, Juan-Daniel, 2012. "Gas release and transport capacity investment as instruments to foster competition in gas markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1251-1258.
- Gasmi, Farid & Oviedo, Juan Daniel, 2010. "Investment in transport infrastructure, regulation, and gas-gas competition," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 726-736, May.
- Corinne Chaton & Farid Gasmi & Marie-Laure Guillerminet & Juan D. Oviedo, 2008. "Un instrument de court terme pour stimuler la concurrence. Le gas release," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 59(3), pages 475-486.
- Oviedo, Juan-Daniel & Guillerminet, Marie-Laure & Gasmi, Farid & Chaton, Corinne, 2008. "Un instrument de court terme pour stimuler la concurrence : Le gas release," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11509, Paris Dauphine University.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Gasmi, Farid & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 2003. "Access to Pipelines in Competitive Gas Markets," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 5-33, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000092:010073. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paola Villalobos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.