The relationship between spot and contract gas prices in Europe
Following deregulations in the European gas market, spot trading of natural gas has been established in the UK, Belgium and the Netherlands, while long-term contracts remain the dominant pricing process in continental Europe. In this paper we investigate the degree of market integration between the three spot markets, the contract gas price in Germany and the oil price. The results indicate a highly integrated market, and there is no evidence of an independent price determination process for natural gas.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Asche, Frank & Gjolberg, Ole & Volker, Teresa, 2003. "Price relationships in the petroleum market: an analysis of crude oil and refined product prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 289-301, May.
- Guillaume L'Hegaret & Boriss Siliverstovs & Christian von Hirschhausen, 2004.
"International Market Integration for Natural Gas? A Cointegration Analysis of Prices in Europe, North America and Japan,"
0402, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Siliverstovs, Boriss & L'Hegaret, Guillaume & Neumann, Anne & von Hirschhausen, Christian, 2005. "International market integration for natural gas? A cointegration analysis of prices in Europe, North America and Japan," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 603-615, July.
- Guillaume L¿Hégaret & Boriss Siliverstovs & Anne Neumann & Christian von Hirschhausen, 2003. "International Market Integration for Natural Gas?: A Cointegration Analysis of Prices in Europe, North America and Japan," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 393, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Doane, Michael J & Spulber, Daniel F, 1994. "Open Access and the Evolution of the U.S. Spot Market for Natural Gas," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 37(2), pages 477-517, October.
- Frank Asche & Petter Osmundsen & Ragnar Tveterås, 2000.
"European Market Integration for Gas? Volume Flexibility and Political Risk,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
358, CESifo Group Munich.
- Asche, Frank & Osmundsen, Petter & Tveteras, Ragnar, 2002. "European market integration for gas? Volume flexibility and political risk," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 249-265, May.
- Pettersson, Fredrik & Söderholm, Patrik & Lundmark, Robert, 2012. "Fuel switching and climate and energy policies in the European power generation sector: A generalized Leontief model," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 1064-1073.
- De Vany, Arthur S. & Walls, W. David, 1999. "Cointegration analysis of spot electricity prices: insights on transmission efficiency in the western US," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 435-448, October.
- Chaton, Corinne & Gasmi, Farid & Guillerminet, Marie-Laure & Oviedo, Juan-Daniel, 2012. "Gas release and transport capacity investment as instruments to foster competition in gas markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1251-1258.
- Furió, Dolores & Chuliá, Helena, 2012. "Price and volatility dynamics between electricity and fuel costs: Some evidence for Spain," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 2058-2065.
- Panagiotidis, Theodore & Rutledge, Emilie, 2007. "Oil and gas markets in the UK: Evidence from a cointegrating approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 329-347, March.
- Frank Asche & Petter Osmundsen & Maria Sandsmark, 2006. "The UK Market for Natural Gas, Oil and Electricity: Are the Prices Decoupled?," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 27-40.
- Slade, Margaret E, 1986. "Exogeneity Tests of Market Boundaries Applied to Petroleum Products," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3), pages 291-303, March.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987.
"Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Frank Asche & Ole Gjølberg & Atle G. Guttormsen, 2012. "Testing the central market hypothesis: a multivariate analysis of Tanzanian sorghum markets," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 43(1), pages 115-123, 01.
- Stephen P. A. Brown and Mine K. Yucel, 2009. "Market Arbitrage: European and North American Natural Gas Prices," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 167-186.
- Aguilar, Francisco X. & Goerndt, Michael E. & Song, Nianfu & Shifley, Stephen, 2012. "Internal, external and location factors influencing cofiring of biomass with coal in the U.S. northern region," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1790-1798.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Anne Neumann, 2009.
"Linking Natural Gas Markets - Is LNG Doing its Job?,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 187-200.
- Anne Neumann, 2008. "Linking Natural Gas Markets: Is LNG Doing Its Job?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 822, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Lance J. Bachmeier & James M. Griffin, 2006. "Testing for Market Integration: Crude Oil, Coal, and Natural Gas," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 55-72.
- Chaton, Corinne & Gasmi, Farid & Guillerminet, Marie-Laure & Oviedo, Juan Daniel, 2010.
"Gas Release and Transport Capacity Investment as Instruments to Foster Competition in Gas Markets,"
TSE Working Papers
10-203, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Chaton, Corinne & Gasmi, Farid & Guillerminet, Marie-Laure & Oviedo, Juan Daniel, 2010. "Gas Release and Transport Capacity Investment as Instruments to Foster Competition in Gas Markets," IDEI Working Papers 647, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Paul Berhanu Girma & Albert S. Paulson, 1999. "Risk arbitrage opportunities in petroleum futures spreads," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(8), pages 931-955, December.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/11504 is not listed on IDEAS
- Frank Asche, Petter Osmundsen, Ragnar Tveteras, 2001. "Market integration for natural gas in Europe," International Journal of Global Energy Issues, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 16(4), pages 300-312.
- Gjolberg, Ole & Johnsen, Thore, 1999. "Risk management in the oil industry: can information on long-run equilibrium prices be utilized?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 517-527, December.
- Apostolos Serletis & John Herbert, 2007.
"The Message in North American Energy Prices,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Quantitative And Empirical Analysis Of Energy Markets, chapter 13, pages 156-171
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- De Vany, Arthur & Walls, W. David, 1993.
"Pipeline Access and Market Integration in the Natural Gas Industry: Evidence from Cointegration Tests,"
University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers
qt8368m144, University of California Transportation Center.
- Arthur De Vany & W. David Walls, 1993. "Pipeline Access and Market Integration in the Natural Gas Industry: Evidence from Cointegration Tests," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 1-20.
- Frank Asche & Odd Bjarte Nilsen & Ragnar Tveteras, 2008. "Natural Gas Demand in the European Household Sector," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 27-46.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:eneeco:v:38:y:2013:i:c:p:212-217. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.