Does Public Welfare Crowd Out Informal Safety Nets? Ethnographic Evidence from Rural Latin America
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Ethan Ligon & Jonathan P. Thomas & Tim Worrall, 2002. "Informal Insurance Arrangements with Limited Commitment: Theory and Evidence from Village Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 69(1), pages 209-244.
- Stefan Dercon & Pramila Krishnan, 2003. "Food aid and informal insurance," CSAE Working Paper Series 2003-01, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Rafael Di Tella & Robert MacCulloch, 2002.
"Informal Family Insurance And The Design Of The Welfare State,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(481), pages 481-503, July.
- Rafael Di Tella & Robert MacCulloch, 1998. "Informal Family Insurance and the Design of the Welfare State," JCPR Working Papers 44, Northwestern University/University of Chicago Joint Center for Poverty Research.
- DiTella, Rafael & MacCulloch, Robert, 1999. "Informal family insurance and the design of the welfare state," ZEI Working Papers B 23-1999, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Cox, Donald & Jimenez, Emmanuel, 1998. "Risk Sharing and Private Transfers: What about Urban Households?," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(3), pages 621-637, April.
- Stefan Dercon & Pramila Krishnan, 2003. "Risk Sharing and Public Transfers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(486), pages 86-94, March.
- Ligon, Ethan, 2002.
"Targeting and Informal Insurance,"
WIDER Working Paper Series
008, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Ligon, Ethan, 2004. "Targeting and Â Informal Insurance," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt4km8q3gv, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Stefan Dercon, 2002.
"Income Risk, Coping Strategies, and Safety Nets,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 17(2), pages 141-166, September.
- Stefan Dercon, 2000. "Income risk, coping strategies and safety nets," CSAE Working Paper Series 2000-26, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Dercon, Stefan, 2002. "Income Risk, Coping Strategies and Safety Nets," WIDER Working Paper Series 022, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Jonathan Morduch, 1995.
"Income Smoothing and Consumption Smoothing,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 103-114, Summer.
- Morduch, J., 1995. "Income Smoothing and Consumption Smoothing," Papers 512, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Jonathan Morduch, 1995. "Income Smoothing and Consumption Smoothing," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1727, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Cox, Donald C & Jimenez, Emmanuel, 1992. "Social Security and Private Transfers in Developing Countries: The Case of Peru," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(1), pages 155-169, January.
- Morduch, Jonathan, 1999. "Between the State and the Market: Can Informal Insurance Patch the Safety Net?," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 14(2), pages 187-207, August.
- Heemskerk, Marieke, 2001. "Do international commodity prices drive natural resource booms? An empirical analysis of small-scale gold mining in Suriname," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 295-308, November.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/13208 is not listed on IDEAS
- Najat El Mekkaoui de Freitas & Hillary Johnson, 2012. "Formal and Informal Social Protection in Iraq," Working Papers 739, Economic Research Forum, revised 2012.
- Wetterberg, Anna, 2007. "Crisis, Connections, and Class: How Social Ties Affect Household Welfare," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 585-606, April.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:32:y:2004:i:6:p:941-955. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev .