Risk Management among the Poor: The Case of Microfinancial Services
This paper argues that the level of financial services provision determines the risk management strategies among the poor. The paper estimates the determinants of the household’s use of one, two or all three types of microfinancial services applying ordered probit models and additionally probit models for combinations of them. By doing this on household survey data from Sri Lanka, there is empirical evidence that household's probability to participate in microfinancial services increases with rising self perception towards risk. Further, we find that it depends highly on the type of risk, if a household is more or less likely to use microfinancial services in Sri Lanka, whereas the accessibility to one, two or three microfinancial services is determined by the experience of specific hazards in the past. The study finds that the poor are less likely to use microfinancial services than their better off counterparts.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kochar, Anjini, 1997. "An empirical investigation of rationing constraints in rural credit markets in India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 339-371, August.
- Sharma, Manohar, 2000. "Microfinance," MP05 briefs 0, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Marcel Fafchamps & Chris Udry & Katherine Czukas, .
"Drought and Saving in West Africa: Are Livestock a Buffer Stock?,"
97013, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Udry, Christopher & Czukas, Katherine, 1998. "Drought and saving in West Africa: are livestock a buffer stock?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 273-305, April.
- Gine, Xavier & Yang, Dean, 2007.
"Insurance, credit, and technology adoption : field experimental evidence from Malawi,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4425, The World Bank.
- Gin, Xavier & Yang, Dean, 2009. "Insurance, credit, and technology adoption: Field experimental evidencefrom Malawi," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 1-11, May.
- Mikkel Barslund & Finn Tarp, 2008.
"Formal and Informal Rural Credit in Four Provinces of Vietnam,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(4), pages 485-503.
- Mikkel Barslund & Finn Tarp, 2007. "Formal and Informal Rural Credit in Four Provinces of Vietnam," Discussion Papers 07-07, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Xavier Giné & Robert M. Townsend & James Vickery, 2007.
"Patterns of rainfall insurance participation in rural India,"
302, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Xavier Giné & Robert Townsend & James Vickery, 2008. "Patterns of Rainfall Insurance Participation in Rural India," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 22(3), pages 539-566, October.
- Gine, Xavier & Townsend, Robert & Vickery, James, 2007. "Patternsof rainfall insurance participation in rural India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4408, The World Bank.
- M. M. Pitt & S. R. Khandker, 2002. "Credit Programmes for the Poor and Seasonality in Rural Bangladesh," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(2), pages 1-24.
- Gulnur MURADOGLU & Fatma TASKIN, 1996. "Differences In Household Savings Behavior: Evidence From Industrial And Developing Countries," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 34(2), pages 138-153, 06.
- Mirko Bendig & Lena Giesbert & Susan Steiner, 2009.
"Savings, Credit, and Insurance: Household Demand for Formal Financial Services in Rural Ghana,"
Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series
7609, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Mirko Bendig & Lena Giesbert & Susan Steiner, 2009. "Savings, Credit and Insurance: Household Demand for Formal Financial Services in Rural Ghana," GIGA Working Paper Series 94, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies.
- Sarmistha Pal, 2002. "Household sectoral choice and effective demand for rural credit in India," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(14), pages 1743-1755.
- Ranjula Bali Swain, 2002. "Credit Rationing In Rural India," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 27(2), pages 1-20, December.
- Dror, David Mark & Radermacher, Ralf & Koren, Ruth, 2007. "Willingness to pay for health insurance among rural and poor persons: Field evidence from seven micro health insurance units in India," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 12-27, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp5174. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.