Microfinancial Services And Risk Management: Evidences From Sri Lanka
This paper examines the importance of financial services as risk coping mechanisms in Sri Lanka, while insurance and savings products function as ex-ante, i.e., preventive, strategies for consumption smoothing, credit is typically used as an ex-post risk coping strategy. Based on household survey data, it estimates the determinants of the household¡¯s use of one, two or all three types of microfinancial services and for different combinations of financial services applying ordered probit models. There is empirical evidence that household¡¯s probability to participate in microfinancial services increases with rising self perception towards risk. Further, it depends highly on the type of risk, if a household is more or less likely to use microfinancial services, whereas the accessibility to one, two or three microfinancial services are related to the experience of specific hazards in the past. In confirmation with earlier findings, the poor are less likely to use microfinancial services than their better-off counterparts.
Volume (Year): 36 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jed.or.kr/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zeller, Manfred & Meyer, Richard L., 2002. "The triangle of microfinance," Food policy statements 40, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Gunhild Berg, 2010. "Evaluating The Impacts Of Microsaving: The Case Of Sewa Bank In India," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 35(1), pages 75-96, March.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Udry, Christopher & Czukas, Katherine, 1998.
"Drought and saving in West Africa: are livestock a buffer stock?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 273-305, April.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Chris Udry & Katherine Czukas, "undated". "Drought and Saving in West Africa: Are Livestock a Buffer Stock?," Working Papers 97013, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Gin, Xavier & Yang, Dean, 2009. "Insurance, credit, and technology adoption: Field experimental evidencefrom Malawi," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 1-11, May.
- Gine, Xavier & Yang, Dean, 2007. "Insurance, credit, and technology adoption : field experimental evidence from Malawi," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4425, The World Bank.
- Sharma, Manohar, 2000. "Microfinance," MP05 briefs 0, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Siegel, Paul B. & Alwang, Jeffrey & Canagarajah, Sudharshan, 2001. "Viewing microinsurance as a social risk management instrument," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 23305, The World Bank.
- Navajas, Sergio & Schreiner, Mark & Meyer, Richard L. & Gonzalez-vega, Claudio & Rodriguez-meza, Jorge, 2000. "Microcredit and the Poorest of the Poor: Theory and Evidence from Bolivia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 333-346, February.
- Navajas, Sergio & Schreiner, Mark & Meyer, Richard L. & Gonzalez-Vega, Claudio & Rodriguez-Meza, Jorge, 1998. "Microcredit And The Poorest Of The Poor: Theory And Evidence From Bolivia," Economics and Sociology Occasional Papers 28334, Ohio State University, Department of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics.
- Jain Nishant & Bhat Ramesh, 2006. "Factoring affecting the Demand for Health Insurance in a Micro Insurance Scheme," IIMA Working Papers WP2006-07-02, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Dror, David Mark & Radermacher, Ralf & Koren, Ruth, 2007. "Willingness to pay for health insurance among rural and poor persons: Field evidence from seven micro health insurance units in India," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 12-27, June.
- Mikkel Barslund & Finn Tarp, 2008. "Formal and Informal Rural Credit in Four Provinces of Vietnam," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(4), pages 485-503, April.
- Mikkel Barslund & Finn Tarp, 2007. "Formal and Informal Rural Credit in Four Provinces of Vietnam," Discussion Papers 07-07, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Kochar, Anjini, 1997. "An empirical investigation of rationing constraints in rural credit markets in India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 339-371, August.
- Jabbar, M. A. & Ehui, S. K. & Von Kaufmann, R., 2002. "Supply and Demand for Livestock Credit in Sub-Saharan Africa: Lessons for Designing New Credit Schemes," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 1029-1042, June.
- Jabbar, Mohammad A. & Ehui, Simeon K. & Von Kaufmann, R, 2002. "Supply and Demand for Livestock Credit in Sub-Saharan Africa: Lessons for Designing New Credit Schemes," Research Reports 183004, International Livestock Research Institute.
- Gulnur MURADOGLU & Fatma TASKIN, 1996. "Differences In Household Savings Behavior: Evidence From Industrial And Developing Countries," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 34(2), pages 138-153, 06.
- Xavier Giné & Robert Townsend & James Vickery, 2008. "Patterns of Rainfall Insurance Participation in Rural India," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 22(3), pages 539-566, October.
- Gine, Xavier & Townsend, Robert & Vickery, James, 2007. "Patternsof rainfall insurance participation in rural India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4408, The World Bank.
- Xavier Giné & Robert M. Townsend & James Vickery, 2007. "Patterns of rainfall insurance participation in rural India," Staff Reports 302, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Zeller, Manfred & Meyer, Richard L. (ed.), 2002. "The triangle of microfinance: Financial sustainability, outreach, and impact," IFPRI books, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), number 0-8018-7148-4.
- Lena Giesbert & Susan Steiner & Mirko Bendig, 2011. "Participation in Micro Life Insurance and the Use of Other Financial Services in Ghana," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 78(1), pages 7-35, 03.
- Tamás Bartus, 2005. "Estimation of marginal effects using margeff," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 5(3), pages 309-329, September.
- Ranjula Bali Swain, 2002. "Credit Rationing In Rural India," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 27(2), pages 1-20, December.
- Gupta, K L, 1970. "Personal Saving in Developing Nations: Further Evidence," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 46(114), pages 243-249, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jed:journl:v:36:y:2011:i:4:p:97-126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sung Y. Park)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.