The relation between private transfers and household income on looking at altruism, exchange and risk-sharing hypotheses. An empirical analysis applied to Russia (In French)
The aim of this paper is to analyze the impact of household income on private transfers in Russia on the basis of altruism, exchange and risk sharing hypotheses. Econometrical investigations, with Russia Longitudinal Monitoring Survey data for 2002, show that private transfers can’t be explained by altruism but rather by reciprocity. More precisely, in poor households, the idea of risk sharing is central, whereas in richer households, individual interest (exchange hypothesis) is more appropriate to understand private transfers.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue Léon Duguit, 33608 Pessac Cedex|
Phone: +33 (0)188.8.131.52.75
Fax: +33 (0)184.108.40.206.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary S. Becker, 1974.
"A Theory of Social Interactions,"
NBER Working Papers
0042, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Becker, Gary S, 1976. "Altruism, Egoism, and Genetic Fitness: Economics and Sociobiology," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 817-26, September.
- Luc Arrondel & André Masson, 2006.
"Altruism, Exchange or Indirect Reciprocity: What Do the Data on Family Transfers Show?,"
- Arrondel, Luc & Masson, Andre, 2006. "Altruism, exchange or indirect reciprocity: what do the data on family transfers show?," Handbook on the Economics of Giving, Reciprocity and Altruism, Elsevier.
- Luc Arrondel & André Masson, 2002. "Altruism, Exchange or Indirect Reciprocity: What do the Data on Family Transfers Show?," DELTA Working Papers 2002-18, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Cox, Donald, 1987. "Motives for Private Income Transfers," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(3), pages 508-46, June.
- Bernheim, B Douglas & Shleifer, Andrei & Summers, Lawrence H, 1985.
"The Strategic Bequest Motive,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(6), pages 1045-76, December.
- Morduch, J., 1995.
"Income Smoothing and Consumption Smoothing,"
512, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Jonathan Morduch, 1995. "Income Smoothing and Consumption Smoothing," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1727, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Kazianga, Harounan, 2003. "Motives For Household Private Transfers In Rural Burkina Faso," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 21949, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Arrondel, Luc & Masson, Andre, 2001.
" Family Transfers Involving Three Generations,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 103(3), pages 415-43, September.
- Townsend, Robert M, 1994.
"Risk and Insurance in Village India,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(3), pages 539-91, May.
- Robert M. Townsend, . "Risk and Insurance in Village India," University of Chicago - Population Research Center 91-3a, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Townsend, R.M., 1991. "Risk and Insurance in Village India," University of Chicago - Economics Research Center 91-3, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- Kuhn, Randall & Stillman, Steven, 2004.
"Understanding Interhousehold Transfers in a Transition Economy: Evidence from Russia,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(1), pages 131-56, October.
- Kuhn, Randall & Stillman, Steven, 2002. "Understanding Interhousehold Transfers in a Transition Economy: Evidence from Russia," IZA Discussion Papers 574, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Smith, Richard J & Blundell, Richard W, 1986. "An Exogeneity Test for a Simultaneous Equation Tobit Model with an Application to Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 679-85, May.
- Schokkaert, Erik, 2006. "The Empirical Analysis of Transfer Motives," Handbook on the Economics of Giving, Reciprocity and Altruism, Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grt:wpegrt:2007-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emmanuel Petit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.