The macroeconomic and food security implications of price interventions in the Philippine rice market
The Philippine government has a number of policy interventions in the domestic rice market aimed at promoting national food security. This paper examines the economy-wide and food security implications of three of the main policies: a ceiling on prices paid by rice consumers; a floor on prices received by paddy producers; and a subsidy on prices paid for seeds by paddy farmers. These programmes have been subject to domestic criticism on allocative efficiency and distributional grounds. We examine the effects of removing the programmes using an economy-wide model with detailed treatment of agricultural activity, land use, and food security measures. We find that the programmes make a small contribution to food security, for a modest budgetary outlay. The allocative efficiency gains available from ending the programmes are small, and may be outweighed by the potential for adverse short-run macroeconomic consequences.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joachim von Braun, 2008.
"Rising Food Prices: What Should Be Done?,"
The Agricultural Economics Society, vol. 7(SpecialIs), pages 30-35, August.
- von Braun, Joachim, 2008. "Rising food prices: What should be done?," Policy briefs 1, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Paul Dorosh & Abdul Salam, 2008. "Wheat Markets and Price Stabilisation in Pakistan: An Analysis of Policy Options," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 47(1), pages 71-87.
- Dorosh, Paul & Salam, Abdul, 2006. "Wheat Markets and Price Stabilisation in Pakistan: An Analysis of Policy Options," MPRA Paper 2244, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paul Dorosh & Abdul Salam, 2006. "Wheat Markets and Price Stabilisation in Pakistan : An Analysis of Policy Options," Microeconomics Working Papers 22188, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Paul Dorosh & Abdul Salam, 2006. "Wheat Markets and Price Stabilisation in Pakistan: An Analysis of Policy Options," PIDE-Working Papers 2006:5, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Peter B. Dixon & Maureen T. Rimmer, 1999. "Changes in Indirect Taxes in Australia: A Dynamic General Equilibrium Analysis," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 32(4), pages 327-348.
- von Braun, Joachim, 2008. "Rising food prices: What should be done? [In Chinese]," Policy briefs 1 CH, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- World Bank, 2005. "Managing Food Price Risks and Instability in an Environment of Market Liberalization," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8264, The World Bank.
- Joaquim Bento de Souza Ferreira Filho & Mark Horridge, 2011. "Ethanol expansion and indirect land use change in Brazil," Working Papers 0114, Universidade Federal do Paraná, Department of Economics.
- Joaquim Bento Ferreira-Filho & Mark Horridge, 2011. "Ethanol Expansion and Indirect Land Use Change in Brazil," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers g-218, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Hanoch, Giora, 1971. "CRESH Production Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(5), pages 695-712, September.
- Paul Dorosh, 2008. "Food Price Stabilisation And Food Security: International Experience," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(1), pages 93-114.
- Arndt, Channing & Tarp, Finn, 2001. "Who gets the goods? A general equilibrium perspective on food aid in Mozambique," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 107-119, April.
- James A. Giesecke & Nhi Hoang Tran & Erwin L. Corong & Steven Jaffee, 2013. "Rice Land Designation Policy in Vietnam and the Implications of Policy Reform for Food Security and Economic Welfare," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 49(9), pages 1202-1218, September.
- Peter B. Dixon & Maureen T. Rimmer, 2006. "The Displacement Effect of Labour-Market Programs: MONASH Analysis," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 82(s1), pages 26-40, September.
- Bandara, Jayatilleke S. & Jayasuriya, Sisira, 2007. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Sri Lanka," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 48480, World Bank.
- Munro, Lauchlan T., 2003. "Zimbabwe's Agricultural Recovery Programme in the 1990s: an evaluation using household survey data," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(5-6), pages 437-458.
- Ecker, Olivier & Breisinger, Clemens & McCool, Christen & Diao, Xinshen & Funes, Jose & You, Liangzhi & Yu, Bingxin, 2010. "Assessing food security in Yemen," IFPRI discussion papers 982, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Christian Romer Lovendal, 2007. "Understanding the Dynamics of Food Insecurity and Vulnerability in Orissa, India," Working Papers 07-28, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
- Dixon, Peter B. & Parmenter, B. R. & Powell, Alan A., 1984. "The role of miniatures in computable general equilibrium modelling : Experience from ORANI," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 421-428, October.
- Arsenio M. Balisacan, 1994. "Demand for Food in the Philippines: Responses to Price and Income Changes," Philippine Review of Economics, University of the Philippines School of Economics and Philippine Economic Society, vol. 31(2), pages 137-163, December.
- Ayele Gelan, 2006. "Cash or Food Aid? A General Equilibrium Analysis for Ethiopia," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 24(5), pages 601-624, September.
- Cororaton, Caesar B. & Cockburn, John, 2007. "Trade reform and poverty--Lessons from the Philippines: A CGE-microsimulation analysis," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 141-163.
- Cororaton, Caesar B. & Corong, Erwin, 2009. "Philippine agricultural and food policies: Implications for poverty and income distribution," Research reports 161, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Tanaka, Tetsuji & Hosoe, Nobuhiro, 2011. "Does agricultural trade liberalization increase risks of supply-side uncertainty?: Effects of productivity shocks and export restrictions on welfare and food supply in Japan," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 368-377, June.
- Rae, A. & Josling, T., 2003. "Processed food trade and developing countries: protection and trade liberalization," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 147-166, April.
- Lips, Markus, 2005. "Sufficient nourishment worldwide via transfer payments," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 81-96, February.
- Aying Liu & Shujie Yao & Robert Greener, 1996. "A Cge Model Of Agricultural Policy Reform In The Philippines," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1-4), pages 18-27. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)