Unobserved component models with asymmetric conditional variances
In this paper, unobserved component models with GARCH disturbances are extended to allow for asymmetric responses of conditional variances to positive and negative shocks. The asymmetric conditional variance is represented by a member of the QARCH class of models. The proposed model allows to distinguish whether the possibly asymmetric conditional heteroscedasticity affects the short run or the long-run disturbances or both. We analyse the statistical properties of the new model and derive the asymptotic and finite sample properties of a QML estimator of the parameters. We propose to identify the conditional heteroscedasticity using the correlogram of the squared auxiliary residuals. Its finite sample properties are also analysed. Finally, we ilustrate the results fitting the model to represent the dynamic evolution of daily series of financial returns and gold prices, as well as of monthly series of inflation. The behaviour of volatility in both types of series is different. The conditional heteroscedasticity mainly affects the short run component in financial returns while in the inflation series, the heteroscedastic ity appears in the long-run component. We find asymmetric effects in both types of variables.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Enrique Sentana, 1995.
"Quadratic ARCH Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 62(4), pages 639-661.
- He, Changli & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1997.
"Properties of Moments of a Family of GARCH Processes,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
198, Stockholm School of Economics.
- He, Changli & Terasvirta, Timo, 1999. "Properties of moments of a family of GARCH processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 173-192, September.
- Evans, Martin, 1991. "Discovering the Link between Inflation Rates and Inflation Uncertainty," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 23(2), pages 169-84, May.
- Durbin, James & Koopman, Siem Jan, 2001.
"Time Series Analysis by State Space Methods,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198523543, June.
- Tom Doan, . "SEASONALDLM: RATS procedure to create the matrices for the seasonal component of a DLM," Statistical Software Components RTS00251, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana & Neil Shephard, 2004.
"Likelihood-Based Estimation of Latent Generalized ARCH Structures,"
Econometric Society, vol. 72(5), pages 1481-1517, 09.
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana & Neil Shephard, 2003. "Likelihood-Based Estimation Of Latent Generalised Arch Structures," Working Papers. Serie AD 2003-06, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana & Neil Shephard, 2002. "Likelihood-based estimation of latent generalised ARCH structures," Economics Papers 2002-W19, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Neil Shephard & Gabriele Fiorentini Enrique Sentana, 2002. "Likelihood-based estimation of latent generalised ARCH structures," Economics Series Working Papers 2002-W19, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Neil Shephard & Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana, 2003. "Likelihood-based estimation of latent generalised ARCH structures," FMG Discussion Papers dp453, Financial Markets Group.
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana & Neil Shephard, 2004. "Likelihood-based estimation of latent generalised ARCH structures," OFRC Working Papers Series 2004fe02, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana & Neil Shephard, 2003. "Likelihood-based estimation of latent generalised ARCH structures," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24852, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Enrique Sentana & Giorgio Calzolari & Gabriele Fiorentini, 2004. "Indirect Estimation Of Conditionally Heteroskedastic Factor Models," Working Papers wp2004_0409, CEMFI.
- Wei, Steven X., 2002. "A censored-GARCH model of asset returns with price limits," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 197-223, March.
- Morgan, I G & Trevor, R G, 1999. "Limit Moves as Censored Observations of Equilibrium Futures Price in GARCH Processes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(4), pages 397-408, October.
- Bos, C.S. & Mahieu, R.J. & van Dijk, H.K., 2000.
"On the variation of hedging decisions in daily currency risk management,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2000-20/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Charles S. Bos & Ronald J. Mahieu & Herman K. van Dijk, 2001. "On the Variation of Hedging Decisions in Daily Currency Risk Management," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-018/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Koopman S.J. & Bos C.S., 2004. "State Space Models With a Common Stochastic Variance," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 346-357, July.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Giorgio Calzolari & Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana, 2004. "Constrained Indirect Estimation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(4), pages 945-973.
- Maravall, Agustin, 1983. "An Application of Nonlinear Time Series Forecasting," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 1(1), pages 66-74, January.
- Kim, C.J., 1992.
"Unobserved-Component Time-Series Models with Markov- Switching Heteroskedasticity: Changes in Regimes and the Link between Inflation Rates and Inflation Uncertainty,"
92-1, York (Canada) - Department of Economics.
- Kim, Chang-Jin, 1993. "Unobserved-Component Time Series Models with Markov-Switching Heteroscedasticity: Changes in Regime and the Link between Inflation Rates and Inflation Uncertainty," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(3), pages 341-49, July.
- Mervyn King & Enrique Sentana & Sushil Wadhwani, 1990.
"Volatiltiy and Links Between National Stock Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
3357, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- King, Mervyn & Sentana, Enrique & Wadhwani, Sushil, 1994. "Volatility and Links between National Stock Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 901-33, July.
- Martin Evans & Paul Wachtel, 1993. "Inflation regimes and the sources of inflation uncertainty," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 475-520.
- Harvey, Andrew & Ruiz, Esther & Sentana, Enrique, 1992. "Unobserved component time series models with Arch disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 129-157.
- Allan D. Brunner & Gregory D. Hess, 1990.
"Are higher levels of inflation less predictable? A state-dependent conditional heteroskedasticity approach,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
141, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Brunner, Allan D & Hess, Gregory D, 1993. "Are Higher Levels of Inflation Less Predictable? A State-Dependent Conditional Heteroscedasticity Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(2), pages 187-97, April.
- Ord, J.K. & Koehler, A. & Snyder, R.D., 1995. "Estimation and Prediction for a Class of Dynamic Nonlinear Statistical Models," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 4/95, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Ruiz, Esther & Rodríguez, Julio, 2003. "A powerful test for conditional heteroscedasticity for financial time series with highly persistent volatilities," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS ws036716, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Harvey, Andrew C & Koopman, Siem Jan, 1992. "Diagnostic Checking of Unobserved-Components Time Series Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(4), pages 377-89, October.
- Mardi Dungey & Vance L Martin & Adrian R Pagan, 2000. "A multivariate latent factor decomposition of international bond yield spreads," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(6), pages 697-715.
- Ana Pérez & Esther Ruiz, 2003. "Properties of the Sample Autocorrelations of Nonlinear Transformations in Long-Memory Stochastic Volatility Models," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 1(3), pages 420-444.
- Maravall, Agustin, 1987. "Minimum Mean Squared Error Estimation of the Noise in Unobserved Component Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 5(1), pages 115-20, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:50:y:2006:i:9:p:2146-2166. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.