A multivariate latent factor decomposition of international bond yield spreads
A factor analysis of long-term bond spreads is performed by decomposing international interest rate spreads into national and global factors. The factors are latent, and are assumed to have GARCH-type specifications as well as exhibiting serial dependence. An indirect estimator is used to compute estimates of the unknown parameters. The sampling performance of this estimator is investigated and compared with an alternative direct estimator based on the Kalman predictor. The factor model is applied to weekly data on long-bond spreads between five countries - Australia, Japan, Germany, Canada and the UK - and the USA over the period 1991 to 1999. The resulting factor decomposition is used to examine the international investor's optimal portfolio decision in a mean-variance framework. Copyright © 2000 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 15 (2000)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jcatalog/subscribe.jsp?issn=0883-7252 Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pagan, A.R., 1996. "Simulation Based Estimation of Some Factor Models in Econometrics," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 521, The University of Melbourne.
- Mardi H Dungey, 1999.
"Decomposing Exchange Rate Volatility Around the Pacific Rim,"
1999.12, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Dungey, M. H., 1999. "Decomposing exchange rate volatility around the Pacific Rim," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 525-535.
- Mardi H Dungey, 1999. "Decomposing Exchange Rate Volatility Around the Pacific Rim," Working Papers 1999.12, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Howard Howe & Charles Pigott, 1991. "Determinants of long-term interest rates: an empirical study of several industrial countries," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Win, pages 12-28.
- Duffie, Darrell & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1993.
"Simulated Moments Estimation of Markov Models of Asset Prices,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 929-52, July.
- Darrell Duffie & Kenneth J. Singleton, 1990. "Simulated Moments Estimation of Markov Models of Asset Prices," NBER Technical Working Papers 0087, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ronald Mahieu & Peter Schotman, 1994.
"Neglected Common Factors in Exchange Rate Volatility,"
CEPR Financial Markets Paper
0041, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ..
- Mahieu, Ronald & Schotman, Peter, 1994. "Neglected common factors in exchange rate volatility," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(3-4), pages 279-311, July.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Christopher Otrok & Charles H. Whiteman, 2003. "International Business Cycles: World, Region, and Country-Specific Factors," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1216-1239, September.
- Allan W. Gregory & David G. Watt, 1995. "Sources of Variation in International Real Interest Rates," Working Papers 923, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Kalyvitis, Sarantis & Pittis, Nikitas, 1996. "Interest rate convergence, capital controls, risk premia and foreign exchange market efficiency in the EMS," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 693-714.
- Gourieroux, C & Monfort, A & Renault, E, 1993.
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(S), pages S85-118, Suppl. De.
- Al Awad, Mouawiya & Goodwin, Barry K., 1998. "Dynamic linkages among real interest rates in international capital markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 881-907, December.
- Pagan, A.R. & Hall, A.D. & Martin, V., 1995. "Modelling the Term Structure," Papers 284, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Carlo Ambrogio Favero & Francesco Giavazzi & Luigi Spaventa, .
"High Yielders: the Spread on German Interest Rates,"
102, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Carlo Favero & Francesco Giavazzi & Luigi Spaventa, 1996. "High Yields: The Spread on German Interest Rates," NBER Working Papers 5408, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Favero, Carlo A. & Giavazzi, Francesco & Spaventa, Luigi, 1996. "High Yields: The Spread on German Interest Rates," CEPR Discussion Papers 1330, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tauchen, George E. & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1995.
"Which Moments to Match,"
95-20, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Diebold, Francis X & Nerlove, Marc, 1989. "The Dynamics of Exchange Rate Volatility: A Multivariate Latent Factor Arch Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(1), pages 1-21, Jan.-Mar..
- repec:crs:wpaper:9554 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:etheor:v:12:y:1996:i:4:p:657-81 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andersen, Torben G. & Lund, Jesper, 1997. "Estimating continuous-time stochastic volatility models of the short-term interest rate," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 343-377, April.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1985.
"The Pricing of Bonds and Bank Loans in International Markets: An Empirical Analysis of Developing Countries' Foreign Borrowing,"
NBER Working Papers
1689, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1986. "The pricing of bonds and bank loans in international markets : An empirical analysis of developing countries' foreign borrowing," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 565-589, June.
- Ng, Victor & Engle, Robert F. & Rothschild, Michael, 1992. "A multi-dynamic-factor model for stock returns," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 245-266.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jae:japmet:v:15:y:2000:i:6:p:697-715. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.