Validity of discrete-time stochastic volatility models in non-synchronous equity markets
The paper investigates the validity of versions of discrete-time stochastic volatility models for index series known to contain component stocks exhibiting non-synchronous trading. The efficient method of moments (EMM) is used to fit versions of the discrete-time stochastic volatility (SV) model. The EMM methodology confronts moment conditions generated by a score generator (SNP) that are valid by construction. The moment generator suggests non-linearity in the index series. The EMM construction shows that a classical discrete time stochastic volatility model is rejected. An extended model incorporating an asymmetric volatility specification validates all the moment scores. Option values from Black and Scholes (BS) and Monte Carlo simulations (MC) seem significantly different. The results suggest that BS does not price asymmetry adequately. Asymmetry suggests increased market risk inducing higher BS call prices and lower (higher) BS put pricing for ATM and OTM options (ITM) relative to MC.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 9 (2003)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REJF20 |
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REJF20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neil Shephard, 2005.
2005-W17, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1996.
Cahiers de recherche
9613, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- GHYSELS, Eric & HARVEY, Andrew & RENAULT, Eric, 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," CORE Discussion Papers 1995069, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Eric Ghysels & Andrew Harvey & Éric Renault, 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-49, CIRANO.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," Papers 95.400, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1996. "Stochastic Volatility," Cahiers de recherche 9613, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Gallant, A Ronald & Rossi, Peter E & Tauchen, George, 1992. "Stock Prices and Volume," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(2), pages 199-242.
- Brock, W.A. & Dechert, W.D., 1988. "Theorems On Distinguishing Deterministic Form Random Systems," Working papers 366, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Tauchen, George E & Pitts, Mark, 1983. "The Price Variability-Volume Relationship on Speculative Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 485-505, March.
- Gourieroux, C & Monfort, A & Renault, E, 1993.
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(S), pages S85-118, Suppl. De.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Hsieh, David & Tauchen, George, 1997.
"Estimation of stochastic volatility models with diagnostics,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 159-192, November.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Hsieh, David & Tauchen, George, 1995. "Estimation of Stochastic Volatility Models with Diagnostics," Working Papers 95-36, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Bansal, Ravi & Gallant, A. Ronald & Hussey, Robert & Tauchen, George, 1995. "Nonparametric estimation of structural models for high-frequency currency market data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 251-287.
- Robert F. Engle & Victor K. Ng, 1991.
"Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility,"
NBER Working Papers
3681, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F & Ng, Victor K, 1993. " Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1749-78, December.
- John F. Geweke, 1994. "Bayesian comparison of econometric models," Working Papers 532, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Ronald Mahieu & Peter Schotman, 1994. "Stochastic volatility and the distribution of exchange rate news," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 96, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Scheinkman, Jose A, 1990. "Nonlinearities in Economic Dynamics," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(400), pages 33-48, Supplemen.
- Harvey, Andrew C & Shephard, Neil, 1996. "Estimation of an Asymmetric Stochastic Volatility Model for Asset Returns," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(4), pages 429-34, October.
- Harvey, Andrew & Ruiz, Esther & Shephard, Neil, 1994.
"Multivariate Stochastic Variance Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 247-64, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to estimate multivariate stochastic volatility models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00093, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jacquier, Eric & Polson, Nicholas G & Rossi, Peter E, 2002.
"Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Volatility Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 69-87, January.
- Tauchen, George E. & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1995.
"Which Moments to Match,"
95-20, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Fenton, Victor M. & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1996.
"Qualitative and asymptotic performance of SNP density estimators,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 77-118, September.
- Victor Fenton & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1996. "Qualitative and Asymptotic Performance of SNP Density Estimators," Working Papers 96-17, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Brock, William A & Baek, Ehung G, 1991. "Some Theory of Statistical Inference for Nonlinear Science," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(4), pages 697-716, July.
- Gallant, A Ronald & Rossi, Peter E & Tauchen, George, 1993. "Nonlinear Dynamic Structures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 871-907, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:eurjfi:v:9:y:2003:i:5:p:420-448. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.