Qualitative and Asymptotic Performance of SNP Density Estimators
The SNP estimator is the most convenient nonparametric method for simultaneously estimating the parameters of a nonlinear model and the density of a latent process by maximum likelihood. To determine if this convenience comes at a price, we assess the qualitative behavior of SNP in finite samples using the Marron--Wand test suite and verify theoretical convergence rates by Monte Carlo simulation. Our results suggest that there is no price for convenience because the SNP estimator is both qualitatively and asymptotically similar to the kernel estimator which is optimal.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in JOURNAL OF ECONOMETRICS, Vol. 74, 1996, pages 77-118|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (919) 660-1800
Fax: (919) 684-8974
Web page: http://econ.duke.edu/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hussey, Robert, 1992. "Nonparametric evidence on asymmetry in business cycles using aggregate employment time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1-2), pages 217-231.
- Eastwood, Brian J. & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1991. "Adaptive Rules for Seminonparametric Estimators That Achieve Asymptotic Normality," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 307-340, September.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988.
"Asymptotic Normality of Series Estimators for Nonparametric and Semiparametric Regression Models,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
874R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised May 1989.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991. "Asymptotic Normality of Series Estimators for Nonparametric and Semiparametric Regression Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 307-45, March.
- Fenton, Victor M & Gallant, A Ronald, 1996. "Convergence Rates of SNP Density Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 719-27, May.
- Gallant, A Ronald & Rossi, Peter E & Tauchen, George, 1993. "Nonlinear Dynamic Structures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 871-907, July.
- Gallant, A.R. & Tauchen, G., 1988.
"Seminonparametric Estimation Of Conditionally Constrained Heterogeneous Processes: Asset Pricing Applications,"
88-59, Chicago - Graduate School of Business.
- Gallant, Ronald & Tauchen, George, 1989. "Seminonparametric Estimation of Conditionally Constrained Heterogeneous Processes: Asset Pricing Applications," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1091-1120, September.
- Brunner, Allan D, 1992.
"Conditional Asymmetries in Real GNP: A Seminonparametric Approach,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 10(1), pages 65-72, January.
- Allan D. Brunner, 1990. "Conditional asymmetries in real GNP: a semi-nonparametric approach," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 140, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bansal, Ravi & Gallant, A. Ronald & Hussey, Robert & Tauchen, George, 1995. "Nonparametric estimation of structural models for high-frequency currency market data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 251-287.
- Gabler, Siegfried & Laisney, Francois & Lechner, Michael, 1993. "Seminonparametric Estimation of Binary-Choice Models with an Application to Labor-Force Participation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(1), pages 61-80, January.
- Gallant, A Ronald & Rossi, Peter E & Tauchen, George, 1992. "Stock Prices and Volume," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(2), pages 199-242.
- Hirotugu Akaike, 1969. "Fitting autoregressive models for prediction," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 243-247, December.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Hansen, Lars Peter & Tauchen, George, 1990. "Using conditional moments of asset payoffs to infer the volatility of intertemporal marginal rates of substitution," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 141-179.
- Fenton, Victor M & Gallant, A Ronald, 1996. "Erratum [Convergence Rates of SNP Density Estimators]," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(6), pages 1493, November.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Bronwyn H. Hall & Robert E. Hall & Jerry A. Hausman, 1974. "Estimation and Inference in Nonlinear Structural Models," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 3, number 4, pages 653-665 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Souza, Geraldo, 1991. "On the asymptotic normality of Fourier flexible form estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 329-353, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:duk:dukeec:96-17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Department of Economics Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.