Properties of moments of a family of GARCH processes
This paper considers the moments of a family of first-order GARCH processes. First, a general condition of the existence of any integer moment of the absolute values of the observations is given. Second, a general expression for this moment as a function of lower-order moments is derived. Third, the kurtosis and the autocorrelation function of the squared and absolute-valued observations are derived. The results apply to a host of different GARCH parameterizations. Finally, the existence, or the lack thereof, of a theoretical counterpart to the so-called Taylor effect for some members of this GARCH family is discussed. Possibilities of extending some of the results to higher-order GARCH processes are indicated and potential applications of the statistical theory proposed.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- He, Changli & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1997. "Statistical Properties of the Asymmetric Power ARCH Process," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 199, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 30 Sep 1997.
- G. William Schwert, 1990.
"Why Does Stock Market Volatility Change Over Time?,"
NBER Working Papers
2798, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schwert, G William, 1989. " Why Does Stock Market Volatility Change over Time?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(5), pages 1115-53, December.
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993.
" On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993. "On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks," Staff Report 157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Neil Shephard, 2005.
Economics Series Working Papers
2005-W17, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Yang, M. & Bewley, R., 1992.
"Moving Average Conditional Heterscedastic Processes,"
92-23, New South Wales - School of Economics.
- Yang, Minxian & Bewley, Ronald, 1995. "Moving average conditional heteroskedastic processes," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 367-372, October.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Fornari, Fabio & Mele, Antonio, 1997.
"Sign- and Volatility-Switching ARCH Models: Theory and Applications to International Stock Markets,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(1), pages 49-65, Jan.-Feb..
- Fornari, F. & Mele, A., 1995. "Sign- and Volatility -Switching ARCH Models: Theory and Applications to International Stock Markets," Papers 251, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Sentana, Enrique, 1995.
"Quadratic ARCH Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(4), pages 639-61, October.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- C. W. J. GRANGER & Zhuanxin DING, 1995. "Some Properties of Absolute Return: An Alternative Measure of Risk," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 40, pages 67-91.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Fornari, Fabio & Mele, Antonio, 1996. "Modeling the changing asymmetry of conditional variances," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 197-203, February.
- Granger, Clive W. J. & Ding, Zhuanxin, 1996. "Varieties of long memory models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 61-77, July.
- He, Changli & Ter svirta, Timo, 1999. "FOURTH MOMENT STRUCTURE OF THE GARCH(p,q) PROCESS," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(06), pages 824-846, December.
- Francis X. Diebold & Jose A. Lopez, 1995.
"Modeling volatility dynamics,"
9522, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "Stationarity and Persistence in the GARCH(1,1) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 318-334, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:92:y:1999:i:1:p:173-192. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.