Regional age structure, human capital and innovation: Is demographic ageing increasing regional disparities?
Demographic change is expected to affect labour markets in very different ways on a regional scale. The objective of this paper is to explore the spatio-temporal patterns of recent distributional changes in the workers age structure, innovation output and skill composition for German regions by conducting an Exploratory Space-Time Data Analysis (ESTDA). Beside commonly used tools, we apply newly developed approaches which allow investigating the space-time dynamics of the spatial distributions. We include an analysis of the joint distributional dynamics of the patenting variable with the remaining interest variables. Overall, we find strong clustering tendencies for the demographic variables and innovation that constitute a great divide across German regions. The detected clusters partly evolve over time and suggest a demographic polarization trend among regions that may further reinforce the observed innovation divide in the future.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: L 7,1; D - 68161 Mannheim|
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tanja Buch & Silke Hamann & Annekatrin Niebuhr & Anja Rossen, 2014. "What Makes Cities Attractive? The Determinants of Urban Labour Migration in Germany," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 51(9), pages 1960-1978, July.
- Eleonora Patacchini & Patricia Rice, 2007.
"Geography and Economic Performance: Exploratory Spatial Data Analysis for Great Britain,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(4), pages 489-508.
- Patacchini, Eleonora & Rice, Patricia, 2005. "Geography and economic performance: exploratory spatial data analysis for Great Britain," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 0602, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Ugo Fratesi & Massimiliano Riggi, 2004. "Migration and Regional Disparities: the Role of Skill Biased Flows," Urban/Regional 0407004, EconWPA.
- Arntz, Melanie & Gregory, Terry & Lehmer, Florian, 2011.
"Unequal pay or unequal employment? What drives the skill-composition of labor flows in Germany?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
11-074, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Arntz, Melanie & Gregory, Terry & Lehmer, Florian, 2012. "Unequal Pay or Unequal Employment? What Drives the Skill-Composition of Labor Flows in Germany?," Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century 62309, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- repec:dgr:vuarem:2010-1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jennifer Hunt, 2004.
"Are Migrants More Skilled than Non-Migrants? Repeat, Return and Same-Employer Migrants,"
NBER Working Papers
10633, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jennifer Hunt, 2004. "Are migrants more skilled than non-migrants? Repeat, return, and same-employer migrants," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 37(4), pages 830-849, November.
- Jennifer Hunt, 2004. "Are Migrants More Skilled than Non-Migrants?: Repeat, Return and Same-Employer Migrants," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 422, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Edward Glaeser, 1997.
"Learning in Cities,"
NBER Working Papers
6271, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser, 1997. "Learning in Cities," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1814, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Roberto Patuelli & Norbert Schanne & Daniel A. Griffith & Peter Nijkamp, 2012.
"Persistence Of Regional Unemployment: Application Of A Spatial Filtering Approach To Local Labor Markets In Germany,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 300-323, 05.
- R. Patuelli & N. Schanne & D. A. Griffith & P. Nijkamp, 2011. "Persistence of Regional Unemployment: Application of a Spatial Filtering Approach to Local Labour Markets in Germany," Working Papers wp743, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Patuelli, Roberto & Schanne, Norbert & Griffith, Daniel A. & Nijkamp, Peter, 2011. "Persistence of regional unemployment : Application of a spatial filtering approach to local labour markets in Germany," IAB Discussion Paper 201103, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Patuelli, R. & Schanne, N. & Griffith, D.A. & Nijkamp, P., 2010. "Persistent disparities in regional unemployment: Application of a spatial filtering approach to local labour markets in Germany," Serie Research Memoranda 0001, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Roberto Patuelli & Norbert Schanne & Daniel A. Griffith & Peter Nijkamp, 2010. "Persistent Disparities in Regional Unemployment: Application of a Spatial Filtering Approach to Local Labour Markets in Germany," Quaderni della facoltà di Scienze economiche dell'Università di Lugano 1001, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Roberto Patuelli & Norbert Schanne & Daniel A. Griffith & Peter Nijkamp, 2009. "Persistence of Regional Unemployment: Application of a Spatial Filtering Approach to Local Labour Markets in Germany," Working Paper Series 49_09, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Nov 2011.
- Laurent, Thibault & Ruiz-Gazen, Anne & Thomas-Agnan, Christine, 2009.
"GeoXp: An R Package for Exploratory Spatial Data Analysis,"
TSE Working Papers
09-099, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Laurent, Thibault & Ruiz-Gazen, Anne & Thomas-Agnan, Christine, 2012. "GeoXp: An R Package for Exploratory Spatial Data Analysis," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 47(i02).
- Ravi Kanbur & Hillel Rapoport, 2004.
"Migration Selectivity and the Evolution of Spatial Inequality,"
2004-04, Bar-Ilan University, Department of Economics.
- Ravi Kanbur & Hillel Rapoport, 2005. "Migration selectivity and the evolution of spatial inequality," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(1), pages 43-57, January.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Rapoport, Hillel, 2003. "Migration Selectivity And The Evolution Of Spatial Inequality," Working Papers 127769, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Diego Puga, 2002.
"European regional policies in light of recent location theories,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 2(4), pages 373-406, October.
- Puga, Diego, 2001. "European Regional Policies in Light of Recent Location Theories," CEPR Discussion Papers 2767, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fazio, Giorgio & Lavecchia, Luciano, 2012.
"Social capital formation across space: proximity and trust in European regions,"
SIRE Discussion Papers
2012-30, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Giorgio Fazio & Luciano Lavecchia, 2012. "Social capital formation across space: proximity and trust in European regions," Working Papers 2012_07, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Cem Ertur & Wilfried Koch, 2006.
"Regional disparities in the European Union and the enlargement process: an exploratory spatial data analysis, 1995–2000,"
- Cem Ertur & Wilfried Koch, 2006. "Regional disparities in the European Union and the enlargement process: an exploratory spatial data analysis, 1995–2000," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 40(4), pages 723-765, December.
- María Hierro & Adolfo Maza & José Villaverde, 2013. "A proposal for detecting spatial contagion: Some evidence on the international migration distribution in Spain," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(4), pages 811-829, November.
- Acs, Zoltan J. & Anselin, Luc & Varga, Attila, 2002. "Patents and innovation counts as measures of regional production of new knowledge," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1069-1085, September.
- Brunow, Stephan & Hirte, Georg, 2005. "Age Structure and Regional Income Growth," Discussion Papers 1/2005, Technische Universität Dresden, "Friedrich List" Faculty of Transport and Traffic Sciences, Institute of Transport and Economics.
- Patrick Kline, 2010. "Place Based Policies, Heterogeneity, and Agglomeration," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(2), pages 383-87, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:13057. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.