Unequal Pay or Unequal Employment? What Drives the Skill-Composition of Labor Flows in Germany?
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Arntz, Melanie & Gregory, Terry & Lehmer, Florian, 2011. "Unequal pay or unequal employment? What drives the skill-composition of labor flows in Germany?," ZEW Discussion Papers 11-074, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
References listed on IDEAS
- Jörg Decressin, 1994. "Internal migration in West Germany and implications for East-West salary convergence," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 130(2), pages 231-257, June.
- Decressin, Jorg & Fatas, Antonio, 1995. "Regional labor market dynamics in Europe," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1627-1655, December.
- Gary L. Hunt & Richard E. Mueller, 2004. "North American Migration: Returns to Skill, Border Effects, and Mobility Costs," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(4), pages 988-1007, November.
- Annekatrin Niebuhr & Nadia Granato & Anette Haas & Silke Hamann, 2012.
"Does Labour Mobility Reduce Disparities between Regional Labour Markets in Germany?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(7), pages 841-858, September.
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin & Granato, Nadia & Haas, Anette & Hamann, Silke, 2009. "Does labour mobility reduce disparities between regional labour markets in Germany?," IAB Discussion Paper 200915, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- McCormick, Barry, 1997. "Regional unemployment and labour mobility in the UK," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 581-589, April.
- Borjas, George J. & Bronars, Stephen G. & Trejo, Stephen J., 1992.
"Self-selection and internal migration in the United States,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 159-185, September.
- George J. Borjas & Stephen G. Bronars & Stephen J. Trejo, 1992. "Self-Selection and Internal Migration in the United States," NBER Working Papers 4002, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, "undated". "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Stephen Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Johannes Gernandt & Friedhelm Pfeiffer, 2008.
"Wage Convergence and Inequality after Unification: (East) Germany in Transition,"
SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research
107, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Gernandt, Johannes & Pfeiffer, Friedhelm, 2008. "Wage Convergence and Inequality after Unification: (East) Germany in Transition," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-022, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Burda, Michael & Wyplosz, Charles, 1992.
"Human capital, investment and migration in an integrated Europe,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 36(2-3), pages 677-684, April.
- Burda, Michael C & Wyplosz, Charles, 1991. "Human Capital, Investment and Migration in an Integrated Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 614, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mertens Antje, 2002. "Regional and Industrial Wage Dynamics in West Germany and the United States / Regionale und industrielle Lohndynamik in Westdeutschland und den USA," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), De Gruyter, vol. 222(5), pages 584-608, October.
- Paolo Mauro & Antonio Spilimbergo, 1999.
"How Do the Skilled and the Unskilled Respond to Regional Shocks?: The Case of Spain,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(1), pages 1-1.
- Paolo Mauro & Antonio Spilimbergo, 1998. "How Do the Skilled and the Unskilled Respond to Regional Shocks? the Case of Spain," IMF Working Papers 98/77, International Monetary Fund.
- Jennifer Hunt, 2006. "Staunching Emigration from East Germany: Age and the Determinants of Migration," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 4(5), pages 1014-1037, September.
- Bernd Fitzenberger & Ralf A. Wilke, 2010.
"Unemployment Durations in West Germany Before and After the Reform of the Unemployment Compensation System during the 1980s,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 11, pages 336-366, August.
- Fitzenberger, Bernd & Wilke, Ralf A., 2004. "Unemployment Durations in West-Germany Before and After the Reform of the Unemployment Compensation System During the 1980s," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-24, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Elhanan Helpman & Oleg Itskhoki & Stephen Redding, 2010. "Unequal Effects of Trade on Workers with Different Abilities," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 8(2-3), pages 421-433, 04-05.
- Melanie Arntz, 2010.
"What Attracts Human Capital? Understanding the Skill Composition of Interregional Job Matches in Germany,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(4), pages 423-441.
- Arntz, Melanie, 2006. "What attracts human capital? Understanding the skill composition of interregional job matches in Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-062, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Gartner, Hermann, 2005. "The imputation of wages above the contribution limit with the German IAB employment sample," FDZ Methodenreport 200502_en, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Sjef Ederveen & Richard Nahuis & Ashok Parikh, 2007.
"Labour mobility and regional disparities: the role of female labour participation,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 20(4), pages 895-913, October.
- S. Ederveen & R. Nahuis & A. Parikh, 2005. "Labour Mobility and Regional Disparities: The Role of Female Labour Participation," Working Papers 05-31, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Linzert Tobias, 2004. "Sources of German Unemployment: Evidence from a Structural VAR Model / Die Hintergründe deutscher Arbeitslosigkeit: Evidenz von einem Strukturellen VAR," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), De Gruyter, vol. 224(3), pages 317-336, June.
- Fields, Gary S, 1976. "Labor Force Migration, Unemployment and Job Turnover," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 58(4), pages 407-415, November.
- Michiel Van Leuvensteijn & Ashok Parikh, 2002. "How different are the determinants of population versus labour migration in Germany?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(11), pages 699-703.
- Ashok Parikh & Michiel Van Leuvensteijn, 2003. "Interregional labour mobility, inequality and wage convergence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(8), pages 931-941.
- Gordon B. Dahl, 2002.
"Mobility and the Return to Education: Testing a Roy Model with Multiple Markets,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(6), pages 2367-2420, November.
- Gordon B. Dahl, 1997. "Mobility and the Returns to Education: Testing A Roy Model With Multiple Markets," Working Papers 760, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Gordon B. Dahl, 2002. "Mobility and the Return to Education: Testing a Roy Model with Multiple Markets," RCER Working Papers 488, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Ivan Etzo, 2011. "The Determinants Of The Recent Interregional Migration Flows In Italy: A Panel Data Analysis," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(5), pages 948-966, December.
- Giovanni Peri, 2001. "Young People, Skills and Cities," CESifo Working Paper Series 610, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ugo Fratesi & Massimiliano Riggi, 2004. "Migration and Regional Disparities: the Role of Skill Biased Flows," Urban/Regional 0407004, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Terry Gregory & Roberto Patuelli, 2015.
"Demographic ageing and the polarization of regionsâ€”an exploratory spaceâ€“time analysis,"
Environment and Planning A,
, vol. 47(5), pages 1192-1210, May.
- Terry Gregory & Roberto Patuelli, 2013. "Demographic Ageing and the Polarization of Regions - An Exploratory Space-Time Analysis," Working Paper series 51_13, Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Feb 2015.
- Gregory, Terry & Patuelli, Roberto, 2013. "Regional age structure, human capital and innovation: Is demographic ageing increasing regional disparities?," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-057, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- T. Gregory & R. Patuelli, 2013. "Regional Age Structure, Human Capital and Innovation - Is Demographic Ageing Increasing Regional Disparities?," Working Papers wp900, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Gregory, Terry, 2012. "Löhne oder Beschäftigung? Was erklärt die Bildungsstruktur von Arbeitskräftebewegungen?," ZEW Wachstums- und Konjunkturanalysen, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research, vol. 15(3), pages 8-9.
- Caliendo, Marco & Künn, Steffen & Mahlstedt, Robert, 2017.
"The return to labor market mobility: An evaluation of relocation assistance for the unemployed,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 148(C), pages 136-151.
- Caliendo, Marco & Künn, Steffen & Mahlstedt, Robert, 2015. "The Return to Labor Market Mobility: An Evaluation of Relocation Assistance for the Unemployed," IZA Discussion Papers 9183, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Caliendo, Marco & Cobb-Clark, Deborah A. & Hennecke, Juliane & Uhlendorff, Arne, 2015.
"Job Search, Locus of Control, and Internal Migration,"
IZA Discussion Papers
9600, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marco Caliendo & Deborah A. Cobb-Clark & Juliane Hennecke & Arne Uhlendorff, 2016. "Job Search, Locus of Control, and Internal Migration," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 818, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Matthias Wrede, 2015. "Akzeptanz der Förderung gleichwertiger Lebensverhältnisse und Arbeitsbedingungen," Review of Regional Research: Jahrbuch für Regionalwissenschaft, Springer;Gesellschaft für Regionalforschung (GfR), vol. 35(1), pages 103-119, February.
More about this item
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-01-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-2013-01-12 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-MIG-2013-01-12 (Economics of Human Migration)
- NEP-URE-2013-01-12 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:vfsc12:62309. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - Leibniz Information Centre for Economics). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/vfsocea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.