Age structure and regional economic growth
European regions differ considerably in their population age structure. This implies the questions, whether a specific age structure is favorable for regional per capita output growth and whether differences in the age structure induce differences in per capita output growth between regions. To explore this questions we carried out a spatial econometrics cross-section analysis of the NUTS2 regions of the EU15. We found evidence that there is such a link and that spatial autocorrelation matters, even after controlling for country specific effects. The most significant growth effect is generated by the cohort of age 30–44. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2006
Volume (Year): 26 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/10037|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan J. Auerbach & Laurence J. Kotlikoff & Robert P. Hagemann & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 1989. "The Economic Dynamics of an Ageing Population: The Case of Four OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 62, OECD Publishing.
- Welch, Finis, 1979. "Effects of Cohort Size on Earnings: The Baby Boom Babies' Financial Bust," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages S65-97, October.
- Finis Welch, 1979. "Effects of Cohort Size on Earnings: The Baby Boom Babies' Financial Bust," UCLA Economics Working Papers 146, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Sergio Rey & Brett Montouri, 1999. "US Regional Income Convergence: A Spatial Econometric Perspective," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 143-156.
- Ray C. Fair & Kathryn M. Dominguez, 1987.
"Effects of the Changing U.S. Age Distribution on Macroeconomic Equations,"
NBER Working Papers
2280, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fair, Ray C & Dominguez, Kathryn M, 1991. "Effects of the Changing U.S. Age Distribution on Macroeconomic Equations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1276-94, December.
- Ray C. Fair & Kathryn M. Dominguez, 1987. "Effects of the Changing U.S. Age Distribution on Macroeconomic Equations," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 839, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1990.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Islam, Nazrul, 1995. "Growth Empirics: A Panel Data Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(4), pages 1127-70, November.
- Jan Fagerberg & Bart Verspagen, 1996. "Heading for Divergence? Regional Growth in Europe Reconsidered," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3), pages 431-448, 09.
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin, 2000. "Convergence and the effects of spatial interaction," HWWA Discussion Papers 110, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Badinger, Harald & Müller, Werner G. & Tondl, Gabriele, 2002.
"Regional convergence in the European Union (1985 - 1999) : a spatial dynamic panel analysis,"
HWWA Discussion Papers
210, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Harald Badinger & Werner Muller & Gabriele Tondl, 2004. "Regional Convergence in the European Union, 1985- 1999: A Spatial Dynamic Panel Analysis," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(3), pages 241-253.
- Gabriele Tondl & Harald Badinger & Werner Müller, 2003. "Regional convergence in the European Union (1985-1999). A spatial dynamic panel analysis," ERSA conference papers ersa03p455, European Regional Science Association.
- Thomas Lindh & Bo Malmberg, 1999. "Age structure effects and growth in the OECD, 1950-1990," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 431-449.
- Hirte, Georg, 2001. "Pension Policies for an Aging Society," Beiträge zur Finanzwissenschaft, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, edition 1, volume 14, number urn:isbn:9783161475399, October.
- Anselin, Luc & Moreno, Rosina, 2003.
"Properties of tests for spatial error components,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 595-618, September.
- Enrique Lopez Bazo & Esther Vaya Valcarce & Antonio Jose Mora & Jordi Surinach Caralt, 1997. "Regional economic dynamics and convergence in the european union," Working Papers in Economics 12, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Saurav Dev Bhatta & José Lobo, 2000. "Human capital and per capita product: A comparison of US states," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 79(4), pages 393-411.
- Brunow, Stephan & Hirte, Georg, 2005. "Age Structure and Regional Income Growth," Discussion Papers 1/2005, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Transportation and Traffic Sciences "Friedrich List", Institute for Transport and Economics.
- Florax, Raymond J. G. M. & Folmer, Hendrik & Rey, Sergio J., 2003.
"Specification searches in spatial econometrics: the relevance of Hendry's methodology,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 557-579, September.
- Raymond J.G.M. Florax & Hendrik Folmer & Sergio J. Rey, 2002. "Specification Searches in Spatial Econometrics: The Relevance of Hendry's Methodology," Urban/Regional 0202001, EconWPA.
- Georg Hirte, 2002. "Welfare and Macroeconomic Effects of the German Pension Acts of 1992 and 1999: A Dynamic CGE Study," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 3(1), pages 81-106, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:jahrfr:v:26:y:2006:i:1:p:3-23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.