Specification searches in spatial econometrics: the relevance of Hendry's methodology
This paper brings together a number of new specification search strategies in spatial econometric modeling. In the literature, experimental results for several forward stepwise strategies aimed at remedying spatial dependence, have been reported. Essentially, these strategies boil down to the expansion of a spatial linear regression model with spatially lagged variables, conditional upon the results of misspecification tests. We investigate a Hendry-like specification strategy, starting from the spatial common factor model and subsequently reducing the number of spatially lagged variables on the basis of significance tests. The experimental simulations pertain to various small to large sample sizes, with spatial processes modeled on regular lattice surfaces. Our main conclusion is that the classical forward stepwise approach outperforms the Hendry strategy in terms of finding the true data generating process as well as in the observed accuracy of the estimators for spatial and non-spatial parameters. It also dominates concurrent forward stepwise strategies recently suggested in the literature.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P Burridge, 1981.
"Testing for a Common Factor in a Spatial Autoregression Model,"
Environment and Planning A,
, vol. 13(7), pages 795-800, July.
- P Burridge, 1981. "Testing for a common factor in a spatial autoregression model," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 13(7), pages 795-800, July.
- Florax, Raymond & Folmer, Henk, 1992.
"Specification and estimation of spatial linear regression models : Monte Carlo evaluation of pre-test estimators,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 405-432, September.
- Florax, R. & Folmer, H., 1991. "Specification and Estimation of Spatial Linear Regression Models: Monte Carlo Evaluation of Pre-Test Estimator," Mansholt Working Papers 1991-4, Wageningen University, Mansholt Graduate School of Social Sciences.
- Anselin, Luc & Hudak, Sheri, 1992. "Spatial econometrics in practice : A review of software options," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 509-536, September.
- Craig Brett & Joris Pinkse, 1997. "Those Taxes are all over the Map! A Test for Spatial Independence of Municipal Tax Rates in British Columbia," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 20(1-2), pages 131-151, April.
- Bera, Anil K. & Yoon, Mann J., 1993. "Specification Testing with Locally Misspecified Alternatives," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(04), pages 649-658, August.
- A Getis, 1991. "Spatial Interaction and Spatial Autocorrelation: A Cross-Product Approach," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 23(9), pages 1269-1277, September.
- Blommestein, Hans J., 1983. "Specification and estimation of spatial econometric models : A discussion of alternative strategies for spatial economic modelling," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 251-270, May.
- Thomas de Graaff & Raymond J.C.M. Florax & Peter Nijkamp & Aura Reggiani, 2001. "A General Misspecification Test for Spatial Regression Models: Dependence, Heterogeneity, and Nonlinearity," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 255-276.
- Gilbert, Christopher L, 1986. "Professor Hendry's Econometric Methodology," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 48(3), pages 283-307, August.
- Anselin, Luc & Bera, Anil K. & Florax, Raymond & Yoon, Mann J., 1996. "Simple diagnostic tests for spatial dependence," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 77-104, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:regeco:v:33:y:2003:i:5:p:557-579. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.