Small sample properties of maximum likelihood versus generalized method of moments based tests for spatially autocorrelated errors
Many applied researchers have to deal with spatially autocorrelated residuals (SAR). Available tests that identify spatial spillovers as captured by a significant SAR parameter, are either based on maximum likelihood (MLE) or generalized method of moments (GMM) estimates. This paper illustrates the properties of various tests for the null hypothesis of a zero SAR parameter in a comprehensive Monte Carlo study. The main finding is that Wald tests generally perform well regarding both size and power even in small samples. The GMM-based Wald test is correctly sized even for non-normally distributed disturbances and small samples, and it exhibits a similar power as its MLE-based counterpart. Hence, for the applied researcher the GMM Wald test can be recommended, because it is easy to implement.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joris Pinkse & Margaret E. Slade & Craig Brett, 2002. "Spatial Price Competition: A Semiparametric Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(3), pages 1111-1153, May.
- Anselin, Luc & Moreno, Rosina, 2003.
"Properties of tests for spatial error components,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 595-618, September.
- Saavedra, Luz A., 2003. "Tests for spatial lag dependence based on method of moments estimation," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 27-58, January.
- H. Kelejian, Harry & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2001.
"On the asymptotic distribution of the Moran I test statistic with applications,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 219-257, September.
- Harry H. Kelejian & Ingmar R. Prucha, 1999. "On the Asymptotic Distribution of the Moran I Test Statistic with Applications," Electronic Working Papers 99-002, University of Maryland, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1998.
"Graphical Methods for Investigating the Size and Power of Hypothesis Tests,"
The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies,
University of Manchester, vol. 66(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1994. "Graphical Methods for Investigating the Size and Power of Hypothesis Tests," Working Papers 903, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1999.
"A Generalized Moments Estimator for the Autoregressive Parameter in a Spatial Model,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(2), pages 509-33, May.
- Harry H. Kelejian & Ingmar R. Prucha, 1995. "A Generalized Moments Estimator for the Autoregressive Parameter in a Spatial Model," Electronic Working Papers 95-001, University of Maryland, Department of Economics, revised Mar 1997.
- Lung-Fei Lee, 2004. "Asymptotic Distributions of Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimators for Spatial Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(6), pages 1899-1925, November.
- Lung-fei Lee, 2003. "Best Spatial Two-Stage Least Squares Estimators for a Spatial Autoregressive Model with Autoregressive Disturbances," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(4), pages 307-335.
- White,Halbert, 1996.
"Estimation, Inference and Specification Analysis,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521574464, November.
- Anselin, Luc & Bera, Anil K. & Florax, Raymond & Yoon, Mann J., 1996. "Simple diagnostic tests for spatial dependence," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 77-104, February.
- Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2002. "2SLS and OLS in a spatial autoregressive model with equal spatial weights," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 691-707, November.
- Conley, T. G., 1999. "GMM estimation with cross sectional dependence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 1-45, September.
- Aten, Bettina, 1996. "Evidence of Spatial Autocorrelation in International Prices," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 42(2), pages 149-63, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:regeco:v:39:y:2009:i:6:p:670-678. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.