Graphical Methods for Investigating the Size and Power of Hypothesis Tests
Simple techniques for the graphical display of simulation evidence concerning the size and power of hypothesis tests are developed and illustrated. Three types of figures--called P value plots, P value discrepancy plots, and size-power curves--are discussed. Some Monte Carlo experiments on the properties of alternative forms of the information matrix test for linear regression models and probit models are used to illustrate these figures. Tests based on the outer-product-of-the-gradient regression generally perform much worse in terms of both size and power than efficient score tests. Copyright 1998 by Blackwell Publishers Ltd and The Victoria University of Manchester
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 66 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/disciplines/economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davidson, R. & Mackinnon, J.G., 1996.
"The Size and Power of Bootstrap Tests,"
96a03, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1996. "The Size and Power of Bootstrap Tests," Working Papers 932, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Mackinnon, J-G, 1997. "The Size and Power of Bootstrap Tests," ASSET - Instituto De Economia Publica 153, ASSET (Association of Southern European Economic Theorists).
- Chesher, Andrew & Spady, Richard, 1991. "Asymptotic Expansions of the Information Matrix Test Statistic," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 787-815, May.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1984.
"Model Specification Tests Based on Artificial Linear Regressions,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(2), pages 485-502, June.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1980. "Model Specification Tests Based on Artificial Linear Regressions," Working Papers 390, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1981. "Model Specification Tests Based on Artificial Linear Regressions," Working Papers 426, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Kenneth D. West & David W. Wilcox, 1994.
"A Comparison of Alternative Instrumental Variables Estimators of Dynamic Linear Model,"
- West, Kenneth D & Wilcox, David W, 1996. "A Comparison of Alternative Instrumental Variables Estimators of a Dynamic Linear Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(3), pages 281-93, July.
- Fischer, N. I. & Mammen, E. & Marron, J. S., 1994. "Testing for multimodality," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 499-512, December.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Orme, Christopher, 1988. "The Calculation of the Information Matrix Test for Binary Data Models," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 56(4), pages 370-76, December.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1988.
"A New Form of the Information Matrix Test,"
724, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Alastair Hall, 1987. "The Information Matrix Test for the Linear Model," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(2), pages 257-263.
- Hendry, David F., 1984. "Monte carlo experimentation in econometrics," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 937-976 Elsevier.
- Horowitz, Joel L., 1994. "Bootstrap-based critical values for the information matrix test," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 395-411, April.
- Lancaster, Tony, 1984. "The Covariance Matrix of the Information Matrix Test," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 1051-53, July.
- Chesher, Andrew, 1983. "The information matrix test : Simplified calculation via a score test interpretation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 45-48.
- Taylor, Larry W., 1987. "The size bias of White's information matrix test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 63-67.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:manch2:v:66:y:1998:i:1:p:1-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.