Graphical Methods for Investigating the Size and Power of Hypothesis Tests
Simple techniques for the graphical display of simulation evidence concerning the size and power of hypothesis tests are developed and illustrated. Three types of figures - called P value plots, P value discrepancy plots, and size-power curves - are discussed. Some Monte Carlo experiments on the properties of alternative forms of the information matrix test are used to illustrate these figures. Tests based on the OPG regression are found to perform poorly in terms of both size and power.
|Date of creation:||Jun 1994|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6|
Phone: (613) 533-2250
Fax: (613) 533-6668
Web page: http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1984.
"Model Specification Tests Based on Artificial Linear Regressions,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(2), pages 485-502, June.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1980. "Model Specification Tests Based on Artificial Linear Regressions," Working Papers 390, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1981. "Model Specification Tests Based on Artificial Linear Regressions," Working Papers 426, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1996. "The Size and Power of Bootstrap Tests," Working Papers 932, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Taylor, Larry W., 1987. "The size bias of White's information matrix test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 63-67.
- Lancaster, Tony, 1984. "The Covariance Matrix of the Information Matrix Test," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 1051-1053, July.
- Horowitz, Joel L., 1994. "Bootstrap-based critical values for the information matrix test," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 395-411, April.
- West, Kenneth D & Wilcox, David W, 1996.
"A Comparison of Alternative Instrumental Variables Estimators of a Dynamic Linear Model,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 14(3), pages 281-293, July.
- West, K.D. & Wilcox, D.W., 1994. "A Comparison of Alternative Instrumental Variables Estimators of Dynamic Linear Model," Working papers 9414, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Kenneth D. West & David W. Wilcox, 1994. "A Comparison of Alternative Instrumental Variables Estimators of Dynamic Linear Model," Macroeconomics 9410001, EconWPA.
- Chesher, Andrew, 1983. "The information matrix test : Simplified calculation via a score test interpretation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 45-48.
- Hendry, David F., 1984. "Monte carlo experimentation in econometrics," Handbook of Econometrics,in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 937-976 Elsevier.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1992.
"A New Form of the Information Matrix Test,"
Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 145-157, January.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1988. "A New Form of the Information Matrix Test," Working Papers 724, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Fischer, N. I. & Mammen, E. & Marron, J. S., 1994. "Testing for multimodality," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 499-512, December.
- Orme, Christopher, 1988. "The Calculation of the Information Matrix Test for Binary Data Models," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 56(4), pages 370-376, December.
- Alastair Hall, 1987. "The Information Matrix Test for the Linear Model," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(2), pages 257-263.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Chesher, Andrew & Spady, Richard, 1991. "Asymptotic Expansions of the Information Matrix Test Statistic," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 787-815, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qed:wpaper:903. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Babcock)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.