A Goodness-of-fit Test for Copulas
We propose a new rank-based goodness-of-fit test for copulas. It uses the information matrix equality and so relates to the White (1982) specification test. The test avoids parametric specification of marginal distributions, it does not involve kernel weighting, bandwidth selection, or any other strategic choices, it is asymptotically pivotal with a standard distribution, and it is simple to compute compared to available alternatives. The finite-sample size of this type of tests is known to deviate from their nominal size based on asymptotic critical values, and bootstrapping critical values could be a preferred alternative. A power study shows that, in a bivariate setting, the test has reasonable properties compared to its competitors. We conclude with an application in which we apply the test to two stock indices.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Apr 2010|
|Date of revision:||Apr 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (514) 848-3900
Fax: (514) 848-4536
Web page: http://economics.concordia.ca
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Panchenko, Valentyn, 2005.
"Goodness-of-fit test for copulas,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 355(1), pages 176-182.
- repec:sae:ecolab:v:16:y:2006:i:2:p:1-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1988.
"A New Form of the Information Matrix Test,"
724, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & S. Statev, 2006. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00260898, HAL.
- Yanqin Fan & Xiaohong Chen, 2004. "Estimation of Copula-Based Semiparametric Time Series Models," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 559, Econometric Society.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Newey, W.K., 1991.
"The Asymptotic Variance of Semiparametric Estimators,"
583, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Newey, Whitney K, 1994. "The Asymptotic Variance of Semiparametric Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1349-82, November.
- Newey, W.K., 1989. "The Asymptotic Variance Of Semiparametric Estimotors," Papers 346, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Chesher, Andrew, 1983. "The information matrix test : Simplified calculation via a score test interpretation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 45-48.
- Lancaster, Tony, 1984. "The Covariance Matrix of the Information Matrix Test," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 1051-53, July.
- Joe, Harry, 2005. "Asymptotic efficiency of the two-stage estimation method for copula-based models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 401-419, June.
- Klugman, Stuart A. & Parsa, Rahul, 1999. "Fitting bivariate loss distributions with copulas," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 139-148, March.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1998.
"Graphical Methods for Investigating the Size and Power of Hypothesis Tests,"
The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies,
University of Manchester, vol. 66(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1994. "Graphical Methods for Investigating the Size and Power of Hypothesis Tests," Working Papers 903, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Hall, Alastair, 1989. "On the calculation of the information matrix test in the normal linear regression model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 31-35.
- Horowitz, Joel L., 1994. "Bootstrap-based critical values for the information matrix test," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 395-411, April.
- Andrew Patton, 2004.
"Modelling Asymmetric Exchange Rate Dependence,"
wp04-04, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Artem Prokhorov & Peter Schmidt, 2009.
"Likelihood Based Estimation in a Panel Setting: Robustness, Redundancy and Validity of Copulas,"
09002, Concordia University, Department of Economics.
- Prokhorov, Artem & Schmidt, Peter, 2009. "Likelihood-based estimation in a panel setting: Robustness, redundancy and validity of copulas," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 153(1), pages 93-104, November.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Fan, Yanqin, 2006. "Estimation of copula-based semiparametric time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 307-335, February.
- A. Colin Cameron & Tong Li & Pravin K. Trivedi & David M. Zimmer, 2004.
"Modeling the Differences in Counted Outcomes using Bivariate Copula Models: with Application to Mismeasured Counts,"
43, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- A. Colin Cameron & Tong Li & Pravin K. Trivedi & David M. Zimmer, 2004. "Modelling the differences in counted outcomes using bivariate copula models with application to mismeasured counts," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(2), pages 566-584, December.
- Daniel Berg, 2009. "Copula goodness-of-fit testing: an overview and power comparison," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(7-8), pages 675-701.
- Genest, Christian & Rémillard, Bruno & Beaudoin, David, 2009. "Goodness-of-fit tests for copulas: A review and a power study," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 199-213, April.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Fan, Yanqin, 2006. "Estimation and model selection of semiparametric copula-based multivariate dynamic models under copula misspecification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 125-154.
- Murray D. Smith, 2003. "Modelling sample selection using Archimedean copulas," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 6(1), pages 99-123, 06.
- Fermanian, Jean-David, 2005. "Goodness-of-fit tests for copulas," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 119-152, July.
- Chesher, Andrew & Spady, Richard, 1991. "Asymptotic Expansions of the Information Matrix Test Statistic," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 787-815, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crd:wpaper:10002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Economics Department)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.