An overview of the goodness-of-fit test problem for copulas
We review the main "omnibus procedures" for goodness-of-fit testing for copulas: tests based on the empirical copula process, on probability integral transformations, on Kendall's dependence function, etc, and some corresponding reductions of dimension techniques. The problems of finding asymptotic distribution-free test statistics and the calculation of reliable p-values are discussed. Some particular cases, like convenient tests for time-dependent copulas, for Archimedean or extreme-value copulas, etc, are dealt with. Finally, the practical performances of the proposed approaches are briefly summarized.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruno Rémillard & Olivier Scaillet, 2006.
"Testing For Equality Between Two Copulas,"
Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series
07-24, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Kole, Erik & Koedijk, Kees & Verbeek, Marno, 2007.
"Selecting copulas for risk management,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 2405-2423, August.
- Fermanian, Jean-David & Wegkamp, Marten H., 2012. "Time-dependent copulas," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 110(C), pages 19-29.
- Klugman, Stuart A. & Parsa, Rahul, 1999. "Fitting bivariate loss distributions with copulas," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 139-148, March.
- Bücher, Axel & Dette, Holger, 2010. "Some comments on goodness-of-fit tests for the parametric form of the copula based on L2-distances," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(3), pages 749-763, March.
- Aas, Kjersti & Czado, Claudia & Frigessi, Arnoldo & Bakken, Henrik, 2009. "Pair-copula constructions of multiple dependence," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 182-198, April.
- Genest, Christian & Quessy, Jean-François & Rémillard, Bruno, 2006. "On the joint asymptotic behavior of two rank-based estimators of the association parameter in the gamma frailty model," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 10-18, January.
- Hsing, Tailen, 1989. "Extreme value theory for multivariate stationary sequences," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 274-291, May.
- Andrew J. Patton, 2006. "Estimation of multivariate models for time series of possibly different lengths," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(2), pages 147-173.
- Genest, Christian & Masiello, Esterina & Tribouley, Karine, 2009. "Estimating copula densities through wavelets," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 170-181, April.
- Bücher, Axel & Dette, Holger, 2010. "A note on bootstrap approximations for the empirical copula process," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(23-24), pages 1925-1932, December.
- Patricia Mariela Morillas, 2005. "A method to obtain new copulas from a given one," Metrika: International Journal for Theoretical and Applied Statistics, Springer, vol. 61(2), pages 169-184, 04.
- Cornelia Savu & Mark Trede, 2008. "Goodness-of-fit tests for parametric families of Archimedean copulas," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 109-116.
- Bücher, Axel & Dette, Holger & Volgushev, Stanislav, 2012. "A test for Archimedeanity in bivariate copula models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 110(C), pages 121-132.
- Y. Malevergne & D. Sornette, 2003.
"Testing the Gaussian copula hypothesis for financial assets dependences,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(4), pages 231-250.
- Y. Malevergne & D. Sornette, 2001. "Testing the Gaussian Copula Hypothesis for Financial Assets Dependences," Papers cond-mat/0111310, arXiv.org.
- Y. Malevergne & D. Sornette, 2001. "Testing the Gaussian Copula Hypothesis for Financial Assets Dependences," Finance 0111003, EconWPA.
- Yannick Malevergne & Didier Sornette, 2003. "Testing the Gaussian copula hypothesis for financial assets dependences," Post-Print hal-00520539, HAL.
- Ibragimov, Rustam, 2009. "Copula-Based Characterizations For Higher Order Markov Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(03), pages 819-846, June.
- Olivier Scaillet, 2005.
"Kernel Based Goodness-of-Fit Tests for Copulas with Fixed Smoothing Parameters,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp145, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Scaillet, Olivier, 2007. "Kernel-based goodness-of-fit tests for copulas with fixed smoothing parameters," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(3), pages 533-543, March.
- Panchenko, V., 2004.
"Goodness-of-fit test for copulas,"
CeNDEF Working Papers
04-16, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Panchenko, Valentyn, 2005. "Goodness-of-fit test for copulas," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 355(1), pages 176-182.
- Andrew Patton, 2004.
"Modelling Asymmetric Exchange Rate Dependence,"
wp04-04, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Markus Junker & Angelika May, 2005. "Measurement of aggregate risk with copulas," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 8(3), pages 428-454, December.
- Wanling Huang & Artem Prokhorov, 2014.
"A Goodness-of-fit Test for Copulas,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(7), pages 751-771, October.
- Christian Genest & Jean-François Quessy & Bruno Rémillard, 2006. "Goodness-of-fit Procedures for Copula Models Based on the Probability Integral Transformation," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 33(2), pages 337-366.
- Genest, Christian & Rémillard, Bruno & Beaudoin, David, 2009. "Goodness-of-fit tests for copulas: A review and a power study," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 199-213, April.
- Niall Whelan, 2004. "Sampling from Archimedean copulas," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 339-352.
- Daniel Berg, 2009. "Copula goodness-of-fit testing: an overview and power comparison," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(7-8), pages 675-701.
- Isabelle Huault & V. Perret & S. Charreire-Petit, 2007. "Management," Post-Print halshs-00337676, HAL.
- Fermanian, Jean-David, 2005. "Goodness-of-fit tests for copulas," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 119-152, July.
- Abegaz, Fentaw & Gijbels, Irène & Veraverbeke, Noël, 2012. "Semiparametric estimation of conditional copulas," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 110(C), pages 43-73.
- Barbe, Philippe & Genest, Christian & Ghoudi, Kilani & Rémillard, Bruno, 1996. "On Kendall's Process," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 197-229, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1211.4416. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.