The Size and Power of Bootstrap Tests
We show that, in many circumstances, the size distortion of a bootstrap P value for a test will be one whole order of magnitude smaller than that of the corresponding asymptotic P value. We also show that, at least in the parametric case, the magnitude of the distorsion will depend on the shape of what we call the P value function. As regards the power of bootstrap tests, we show that the size-corrected power of a bootstrap test differs from that of the corresponding asymptotic test only by an amount of the same order magnitude as the size distortion, and of arbitrary sign.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: G.R.E.Q.A.M., (GROUPE DE RECHERCHE EN ECONOMIE QUANTITATIVE D'AIX MARSEILLE), CENTRE DE VIEILLE CHARITE, 2 RUE DE LA CHARITE, 13002 MARSEILLE.|
Web page: http://www.greqam.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davidson , R. & Mackinnon, J.G., 1985.
"Implicit alternatives and the local power of test statistics,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1985025, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1987. "Implicit Alternatives and the Local Power of Test Statistics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(6), pages 1305-29, November.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1984. "Implicit Alternatives and the Local Power of Test Statistics," Working Papers 556, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Godfrey, L. G. & Pesaran, M. H., 1983. "Tests of non-nested regression models: Small sample adjustments and Monte Carlo evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 133-154, January.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1980.
"Several Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses,"
378, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1981. "Several Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 781-93, May.
- Attfield, C. L. F., 1995. "A Bartlett adjustment to the likelihood ratio test for a system of equations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 207-223.
- J. L. Horowitz, 1995. "Bootstrap Methods In Econometrics: Theory And Numerical Performance," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1995,63, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Horowitz, Joel L., 1994. "Bootstrap-based critical values for the information matrix test," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 395-411, April.
- Durbin, J, 1970. "Testing for Serial Correlation in Least-Squares Regression When Some of the Regressors are Lagged Dependent Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(3), pages 410-21, May.
- Joel L. Horowitz, 1996. "Bootstrap Methods in Econometrics: Theory and Numerical Performance," Econometrics 9602009, EconWPA, revised 05 Mar 1996.
- Godfrey, Leslie G, 1978. "Testing for Higher Order Serial Correlation in Regression Equations When the Regressors Include Lagged Dependent Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1303-10, November.
- Horowitz, J.L., 1995. "Bootstrap Methods in Econometrics: Theory and Numerical Performance," Working Papers 95-10, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1992. "Regression-based methods for using control variates in Monte Carlo experiments," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 203-222.
- Rothernberg, Thomas J, 1984. "Hypothesis Testing in Linear Models When the Error Covariance Matrix Is Nonscalar," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 827-42, July.
- Weber, N. C., 1984. "On resampling techniques for regression models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 2(5), pages 275-278, October.
- Jan F. Kiviet, 1986. "On the Rigour of Some Misspecification Tests for Modelling Dynamic Relationships," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(2), pages 241-261.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fth:aixmeq:96a03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.