Geographical distribution of unemployment in Spain
Lopez-Bazo E., Del Barrio T. and Artis M. (2005) Geographical distribution of unemployment in Spain, Regional Studies 39 , 305-318. This paper estimates the external shape of the regional distribution of unemployment rates and it studies intradistribution dynamics to analyse the extent of regional inequalities in unemployment rates in Spain over the last decades. It also assesses the contribution of disequilibrium and equilibrium factors in giving rise to spatial differences in unemployment rates. Besides the traditional regression analysis, the effect of those factors on the whole regional distribution is estimated. Results reveal the existence of large differentials across the Spanish provinces in unemployment rates, the geographical distribution of which is characterized by strong persistence. Most of the characteristics of the distribution are induced by the equilibrium component of unemployment, although the influence of market equilibrium variables vanishes over the period under analysis, whereas the unequal distribution of amenities is the major responsible of spatial inequalities in unemployment rates at the late 1990s.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 39 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRES20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Overman, Henry G & Puga, Diego, 1999.
"Unemployment Clusters Across European Regions and Countries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2255, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Henry G. Overman & Diego Puga, 2002. "Unemployment clusters across Europe's regions and countries," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 17(34), pages 115-148, 04.
- Henry Overman & Diego Puga, 1999. "Unemployment Clusters Across European Regions and Countries," CEP Discussion Papers dp0434, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Henry G. Overman & Diego Puga, 1999. "Unemployment clusters across European regions and countries," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20211, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Diego Puga, 1999. "Unemployment clusters across Europe's regions and countries," Working Papers dpuga-99-03, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- J. Paul Elhorst, 2003. "The Mystery of Regional Unemployment Differentials: Theoretical and Empirical Explanations," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(5), pages 709-748, December.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Jimeno, Juan F, 1995. "Structural Unemployment: Spain versus Portugal," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 212-18, May.
- Rodriguez-Pose, Andres, 1998. "Dynamics of Regional Growth in Europe: Social and Political Factors," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198233831, December.
- Keller, Wolfgang, 2002.
"Trade and the Transmission of Technology,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 5-24, March.
- Keller, W., 1996. "Trade and the Transmission of Technology," Working papers 9620, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Wolfgang Keller, 1996. "Trade and the Transmission of Technology," Development and Comp Systems 9609001, EconWPA.
- Wolfgang Keller, 1997. "Trade and the Transmission of Technology," Development and Comp Systems 9707001, EconWPA.
- Keller, W., 1997. "Trade and the Transmission of Technology," Working papers 9620r, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Magrini, Stefano, 1999. "The evolution of income disparities among the regions of the European Union," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 257-281, March.
- Antolin, Pablo & Bover, Olympia, 1997. "Regional Migration in Spain: The Effect of Personal Characteristics and of Unemployment, Wage and House Price Differentials Using Pooled Cross-Sections," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 59(2), pages 215-35, May.
- Enrique López-Bazo & Tomás del Barrio & Manuel Artis, 2002.
"The regional distribution of Spanish unemployment: A spatial analysis,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Springer;Regional Science Association International, vol. 81(3), pages 365-389.
- Lopez-Bazo, Enrique & Del Barrio, Tomas & Artis, Manuel, 2002. "The regional distribution of spanish unemployment. A spatial analysis," ERSA conference papers ersa02p020, European Regional Science Association.
- Quah, Danny, 1997. "Empirics for Growth and Distribution: Stratification, Polarization, and Convergence Clubs," CEPR Discussion Papers 1586, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- R Martin & P Sunley, 1999.
"Unemployment flow regimes and regional unemployment disparities,"
Environment and Planning A,
Pion Ltd, London, vol. 31(3), pages 523-550, March.
- R Martin & P Sunley, 1999. "Unemployment Flow Regimes and Regional Unemployment Disparities," Environment and Planning A, SAGE Publishing, vol. 31(3), pages 523-550, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:regstd:v:39:y:2005:i:3:p:305-318. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.