Matching across space: Evidence on mobility in the Czech Republic
The increase in dispersion of regional unemployment in the Czech Republic, despite low overall joblessness, is suggestive of low labour mobility. At the same time, standard matching functions estimated with district level panel data exhibit spatial instability. A simple model of non-sequential search with endogenous search intensity can link this instability to spatial interdependence in matching, inducing complex functional forms and non-constant returns to scale. We find a statistically significant non-uniform impact of surrounding districts on local matching, even after controlling for boundaries and sectoral heterogeneity. Constant returns for this modified matching function cannot, however, be rejected in most cases.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burda, Michael & Wyplosz, Charles, 1994.
"Gross worker and job flows in Europe,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 1287-1315, June.
- J. Bradford De Long & Lawrence H. Summers, 1991.
"Equipment Investment and Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 106(2), pages 445-502.
- J. Bradford De Long & Lawrence H. Summers, 1990. "Equipment Investment and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 3515, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Bradford De Long & Lawrence H. Summers, . "Equipment Investment and Economic Growth," J. Bradford De Long's Working Papers _122, University of California at Berkeley, Economics Department.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1992.
"The Flow Approach to Labor Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
4000, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Case, Anne C, 1991. "Spatial Patterns in Household Demand," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 953-65, July.
- McCall, B P & McCall, J J, 1987. "A Sequential Study of Migration and Job Search," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(4), pages 452-76, October.
- Coles, Melvyn G & Smith, Eric, 1994.
"Cross-Section Estimation of the Matching Function: Evidence from England and Wales,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
966, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Coles, Melvyn G & Smith, Eric, 1996. "Cross-Section Estimation of the Matching Function: Evidence from England and Wales," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 63(252), pages 589-97, November.
- Robert E. Hall, 1978.
"A Theory of the Natural Unemployment Rate and the Duration of Employment,"
NBER Working Papers
0251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Robert E., 1979. "A theory of the natural unemployment rate and the duration of employment," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 153-169, April.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
- Jackman, Richard & Savouri, Savvas, 1992. "Regional Migration in Britain: An Analysis of Gross Flows Using NHS Central Register Data," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(415), pages 1433-50, November.
- Tito Boeri, 1994. ""Transitional" unemployment," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 2(1), pages 1-25, 03.
- Pissarides, C A, 1979. "Job Matchings with State Employment Agencies and Random Search," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 818-33, December.
- Patricia M. Anderson & Simon M. Burgess, 1995. "Empirical Matching Functions: Estimation and Interpretation Using Disaggregate Data," NBER Working Papers 5001, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oliver Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1989. "The Beveridge Curve," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 20(1), pages 1-76.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:labeco:v:3:y:1996:i:3:p:255-278. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.