Matching across space: Evidence on mobility in the Czech Republic
The increase in dispersion of regional unemployment in the Czech Republic, despite low overall joblessness, is suggestive of low labour mobility. At the same time, standard matching functions estimated with district level panel data exhibit spatial instability. A simple model of non-sequential search with endogenous search intensity can link this instability to spatial interdependence in matching, inducing complex functional forms and non-constant returns to scale. We find a statistically significant non-uniform impact of surrounding districts on local matching, even after controlling for boundaries and sectoral heterogeneity. Constant returns for this modified matching function cannot, however, be rejected in most cases.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oliver Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1989. "The Beveridge Curve," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 20(1), pages 1-76.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1992.
"The Flow Approach to Labor Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
4000, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Robert E., 1979.
"A theory of the natural unemployment rate and the duration of employment,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 153-169, April.
- Robert E. Hall, 1978. "A Theory of the Natural Unemployment Rate and the Duration of Employment," NBER Working Papers 0251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burda, Michael C & Wyplosz, Charles, 1993.
"Gross Worker and Job Flows in Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
868, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Patricia M. Anderson & Simon M. Burgess, 1995. "Empirical Matching Functions: Estimation and Interpretation Using Disaggregate Data," NBER Working Papers 5001, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
- Case, Anne C, 1991. "Spatial Patterns in Household Demand," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 953-65, July.
- De Long, J Bradford & Summers, Lawrence H, 1991.
"Equipment Investment and Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(2), pages 445-502, May.
- J. Bradford De Long & Lawrence H. Summers, . "Equipment Investment and Economic Growth," J. Bradford De Long's Working Papers _122, University of California at Berkeley, Economics Department.
- J. Bradford De Long & Lawrence H. Summers, 1990. "Equipment Investment and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 3515, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Coles, Melvyn G & Smith, Eric, 1994.
"Cross-Section Estimation of the Matching Function: Evidence from England and Wales,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
966, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Coles, Melvyn G & Smith, Eric, 1996. "Cross-Section Estimation of the Matching Function: Evidence from England and Wales," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 63(252), pages 589-97, November.
- McCall, B P & McCall, J J, 1987. "A Sequential Study of Migration and Job Search," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(4), pages 452-76, October.
- Pissarides, C A, 1979. "Job Matchings with State Employment Agencies and Random Search," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 818-33, December.
- Tito Boeri, 1994. ""Transitional" unemployment," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 2(1), pages 1-25, 03.
- Jackman, Richard & Savouri, Savvas, 1992. "Regional Migration in Britain: An Analysis of Gross Flows Using NHS Central Register Data," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(415), pages 1433-50, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:labeco:v:3:y:1996:i:3:p:255-278. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.