The Role of Profit Sharing in Dual Labour Markets with Flexible Outsourcing
We combine profit sharing for high-skilled workers and outsourcing of low-skilled tasks in partly imperfect dual domestic labour markets, when the wage rate for low-skilled worker is set by a labor union, to analyze how the implementation of profit sharing influence flexible outsourcing and low-skilled labour market outcome. Profit sharing has a positive effect on the low-skilled wage and thus an outsourcing enhancing character. Profit sharing for high-skilled workers increases the low-skilled wage and helps to decrease the wage dispersion. Concerning the employment effects there is an employment reducing effect due to higher low-skilled wage, which can be offset by the employment increasing effect of higher effort of the high-skilled worker. Therefore, the employment effects of profit sharing are ambiguous.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cable, John & Wilson, Nicholas, 1990. "Profit-Sharing and Productivity: Some Further Evidence," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(401), pages 550-55, June.
- Jellal, Mohamed & Zenou, Yves, 2000.
"A dynamic efficiency wage model with learning by doing,"
Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 99-105, January.
- Jellal, Mohamed & Zenou, Yves, 2000. "A dynamic efficiency wage model with learning by doing," MPRA Paper 38513, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kandel, Eugene & Lazear, Edward P, 1992.
"Peer Pressure and Partnerships,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(4), pages 801-17, August.
- Douglas L. Kruse, 1993. "Does Profit Sharing Affect Productivity?," NBER Working Papers 4542, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Weitzman, Martin L, 1987. "Steady State Unemployment under Profit Sharing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(385), pages 86-105, March.
- Jan Rose Skaksen, 2004. "International outsourcing when labour markets are unionized," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 37(1), pages 78-94, February.
- Fung, K. C., 1989. "Profit-sharing and European unemployment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 1787-1798, December.
- Holmlund, Bertil, 1990.
"Profit Sharing, Wage Bargaining, and Unemployment,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 28(2), pages 257-68, April.
- Mary Amiti & Shang-Jin Wei, 2004.
"Fear of Service Outsourcing: Is It Justified?,"
NBER Working Papers
10808, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sandra E. Black & Lisa M. Lynch, 2003.
"What's driving the new economy?: the benefits of workplace innovation,"
Working Paper Series
2003-23, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Sandra E. Black & Lisa M. Lynch, 2004. "What's driving the new economy?: the benefits of workplace innovation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(493), pages F97-F116, 02.
- Sandra E Black & Lisa M Lynch, 2002. "What's Driving the New Economy? The Benefits of Workplace Innovation," Working Papers 02-03, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Sandra E. Black & Lisa M. Lynch, 2000. "What's Driving the New Economy: The Benefits of Workplace Innovation," NBER Working Papers 7479, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sandra E. Black & Lisa M. Lynch, 2001. "What's driving the new economy? The benefits of workplace innovation," Staff Reports 118, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Erkki Koskela & Ronnie Schöb, 2010.
"Outsourcing of Unionized Firms and the Impact of Labor Market Policy Reforms,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 682-695, 09.
- Koskela, Erkki & Schöb, Ronnie, 2008. "Outsourcing of Unionized Firms and the Impact of Labor Market Policy Reforms," IZA Discussion Papers 3566, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Erkki Koskela & Ronnie Schöb, 2008. "Outsourcing of Unionized Firms and the Impacts of Labour Market Policy Reforms," CESifo Working Paper Series 2360, CESifo Group Munich.
- Booth, Alison L & Frank, Jeff, 1999. "Earnings, Productivity, and Performance-Related Pay," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(3), pages 447-63, July.
- Meenakshi Rishi & Sweta C. Saxena, 2005. "Is Outsourcing Really As Bad As It Is Made To Sound? A Re- Assessment And Some Perspective," Macroeconomics 0508009, EconWPA.
- Amiti, Mary & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2006. "Service Offshoring, Productivity and Employment: Evidence from the US," CEPR Discussion Papers 5475, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lin, Chung-cheng & Chang, Juin-jen & Lai, Ching-chong, 2002. "Profit sharing as a worker discipline device," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 815-828, November.
- Wadhwani, Sushil & Wall, Martin, 1990.
"The Effects of Profit-Sharing on Employment, Wages, Stock Returns and Productivity: Evidence from UK Micro-data,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(399), pages 1-17, March.
- Wadhwani, S. & Wall, M., 1988. "The Effects Of Profit-Sharing On Employment, Wages, Stock Returns And Productivity: Evidence From Uk Micro-Data," Papers 311, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Mine Zeynep Senses, 2006. "The Effects of Outsourcing on the Elasticity of Labor Demand," Working Papers 06-07, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Gorg, Holger & Hanley, Aoife, 2005. "Labour demand effects of international outsourcing: Evidence from plant-level data," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 365-376.
- Koskela, Erkki & Stenbacka, Rune, 2010. "Equilibrium unemployment with outsourcing and wage solidarity under labour market imperfections," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 376-392, April.
- Ingo Geishecker, 2006. "Does Outsourcing to Central and Eastern Europe Really Threaten Manual Workers' Jobs in Germany?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(5), pages 559-583, 05.
- Radner, Roy, 1986. "Repeated Partnership Games with Imperfect Monitoring and No Discounting," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 43-57, January.
- Davidson, Carl & Matusz, Steven J. & Shevchenko, Andrei, 2008. "Globalization and firm level adjustment with imperfect labor markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 295-309, July.
- Adelheid Holl, 2007.
"Production Subcontracting and Location,"
- Sebastian Braun & Juliane Scheffel, 2007. "A Note on the Effect of Outsourcing on Union Wages," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2007-034, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp5798. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.