International Outsourcing and the Productivity of Low-Skilled Labor in the EU
This article presents first insights into the role of international outsourcing on the productivity of low-skilled workers in EU manufacturing. Whereas in the short run international outsourcing exhibits a negative marginal effect on real value added per low-skilled worker, the long-run parameter estimates reveal a positive impact. This may be explained by imperfections in European labor and goods markets, which prohibit an immediate adjustment in the factor employment and the output structure. The change in the outsourcing intensity since 1993 alone acounts for a long-run increase of about 6.0% in the real value added per low-skilled worker. (JEL C33, F14, F15) Copyright 2006, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 44 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK|
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://ei.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keller, W., 1997.
"Trade Patterns, Technology Flows, and Productivity Growth,"
9701, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Wolfgang Keller, 1997. "Trade Patterns, Technology Flows, and Productivity Growth," International Trade 9702001, EconWPA.
- Pirotte, Alain, 1999. "Convergence of the static estimation toward the long run effects of dynamic panel data models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 151-158, May.
- Donald Siegel & Zvi Griliches, 1992.
"Purchased Services, Outsourcing, Computers, and Productivity in Manufacturing,"
in: Output Measurement in the Service Sectors, pages 429-460
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donald Siegel & Zvi Griliches, 1991. "Purchased Services, Outsourcing, Computers, and Productivity in Manufacturing," NBER Working Papers 3678, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hine, Robert C & Wright, Peter W, 1998. "Trade with Low Wage Economies, Employment and Productivity in UK Manufacturing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(450), pages 1500-1510, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:ecinqu:v:44:y:2006:i:1:p:98-108. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.