Outsourcing of Unionized Firms and the Impact of Labor Market Policy Reforms
This paper shows that outsourcing of parts of the workforce in unionized firms leads to wage moderation both in the case of strategic and flexible outsourcing. As long as the share of the outsourced workforce is not too large, this wage-moderation effect on domestic employment outweighs the direct substitution effect so that domestic employment increases in unionized firms as outsourcing costs fall. With respect to the impact of labor tax reform changes in the wage tax rate, the tax exemption and the unemployment benefit payments affect domestic wage setting in the same way as in the absence of outsourcing. Furthermore, increasing the degree of tax progression by keeping the relative tax burden per worker constant continues to be good for employment. However, except for low outsourcing activities, the impact of these policy measures will become smaller as outsourcing costs fall. Copyright � 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 18 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (09)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0965-7576|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0965-7576|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger, 2000. "Outsourcing and skill-specific employment in a small economy: Austria and the fall of the Iron Curtain," Economics working papers 2000-24, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:114:y:1999:i:3:p:907-940 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alexander Hijzen & Holger Görg & Robert C. Hine, 2004.
"International Outsourcing and the Skill Structure of Labour Demand in the United Kingdom,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
437, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Alexander Hijzen & Holger Görg & Robert C. Hine, 2005. "International Outsourcing and the Skill Structure of Labour Demand in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(506), pages 860-878, October.
- Hijzen, Alexander & Görg, Holger & Hine, Robert C., 2004. "International Outsourcing and the Skill Structure of Labour Demand in the United Kingdom," IZA Discussion Papers 1249, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gorg, Holger & Hanley, Aoife, 2005. "Labour demand effects of international outsourcing: Evidence from plant-level data," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 365-376.
- Leahy, Dermot & Montagna, Catia, 2000.
"Unionisation and Foreign Direct Investment: Challenging Conventional Wisdom?,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C80-92, March.
- Dermot Leahy & Catia Montagna, 1999. "Unionisation and Foreign Direct Investment: Challenging Conventional Wisdom?," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 097, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Leahy, D. & Montagna, C., 1999. "Unionisation and Foreign Direct Investment: Challenging Conventional Wisdom?," Papers 99/15, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Mary Amiti & Shang-Jin Wei, 2004.
"Fear of Service Outsourcing: Is It Justified?,"
NBER Working Papers
10808, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Koskela, Erkki & Schob, Ronnie, 1999.
"Does the composition of wage and payroll taxes matter under Nash bargaining?,"
Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 343-349, September.
- Erkki Koskela & Ronnie Schöb, 1999. "Does the Composition of Wage and Payroll Taxes Matter Under Nash Bargaining?," Discussion Papers 203, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Koskela, E. & Schob, R., 1998. "Does the Composition of Wage and Payroll Taxes Matter Under Nash Bargaining," University of Helsinki, Department of Economics 443, Department of Economics.
- Koskela, Erkki & Vilmunen, Jouko, 1996. "Tax progression is good for employment in popular models of trade union behaviour," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 65-80, August.
- Mine Zeynep Senses, 2006. "The Effects of Outsourcing on the Elasticity of Labor Demand," Working Papers 06-07, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Rana Hasan & Devashish Mitra & K.V. Ramaswamy, 2007.
"Trade Reforms, Labor Regulations, and Labor-Demand Elasticities: Empirical Evidence from India,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 89(3), pages 466-481, August.
- Rana Hasan & Devashish Mitra & K.V. Ramaswamy, 2003. "Trade Reforms, Labor Regulations and Labor-Demand Elasticities: Empirical Evidence from India," NBER Working Papers 9879, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rana Hasan & Devashish Mitra & K.V. Ramaswamy, 2003. "Trade Reforms, Labor Regulations and Labor-Demand Elasticities: Empirical Evidence from India," Economics Study Area Working Papers 59, East-West Center, Economics Study Area.
- Skaksen, Mette Yde & Sorensen, Jan Rose, 2001. "Should trade unions appreciate foreign direct investment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 379-390, December.
- Slaughter, Matthew J., 2001. "International trade and labor-demand elasticities," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 27-56, June.
- Sebastian Braun & Juliane Scheffel, 2007. "A Note on the Effect of Outsourcing on Union Wages," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2007-034, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2007.
"The Welfare State and the Forces of Globalization,"
NBER Working Papers
12946, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jan Rose Skaksen, 2004. "International outsourcing when labour markets are unionized," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 37(1), pages 78-94, February.
- Stefanova Boyka M, 2006. "The Political Economy of Outsourcing in the European Union and the East-European Enlargement," Business and Politics, De Gruyter, vol. 8(2), pages 1-45, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:reviec:v:18:y:2010:i:4:p:682-695. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.