The Effects of Labour Tax Progression under Nash Wage Bargaining and Flexible Outsourcing
This paper studies in the presence of flexible outsourcing the effects of outsourcing costs, productivity of outsourcing, wage tax and tax exemption in an imperfectly competitive labour markets when labour unions and firms negotiate wages and the impacts of labour tax progression on domestic wage setting and employment. The wage elasticity of domestic labour demand is higher than in the case of strategic outsourcing and a decreasing function of the outsourcing cost, an increasing function both of the productivity of outsourcing and of the wage rate. With sufficiently strong (weak) labour market imperfections a lower outsourcing cost has a wage-moderating (wage-increasing) effect. Finally, increasing the degree of tax progression, to keep the relative tax burden per worker constant, has a wage-moderating effect and a positive effect on domestic employment and a negative effect on outsourcing.
|Date of creation:||May 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rana Hasan & Devashish Mitra & K.V. Ramaswamy, 2003.
"Trade Reforms, Labor Regulations and Labor-Demand Elasticities: Empirical Evidence from India,"
Economics Study Area Working Papers
59, East-West Center, Economics Study Area.
- Rana Hasan & Devashish Mitra & K.V. Ramaswamy, 2007. "Trade Reforms, Labor Regulations, and Labor-Demand Elasticities: Empirical Evidence from India," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(3), pages 466-481, August.
- Rana Hasan & Devashish Mitra & K.V. Ramaswamy, 2003. "Trade Reforms, Labor Regulations and Labor-Demand Elasticities: Empirical Evidence from India," NBER Working Papers 9879, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Koskela, Erkki & Vilmunen, Jouko, 1996. "Tax progression is good for employment in popular models of trade union behaviour," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 65-80, August.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2007.
"The Welfare State and the Forces of Globalization,"
NBER Working Papers
12946, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jan Rose Skaksen, 2004. "International outsourcing when labour markets are unionized," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 37(1), pages 78-94, February.
- Mine Zeynep Senses, 2006. "The Effects of Outsourcing on the Elasticity of Labor Demand," Working Papers 06-07, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Mary Amiti & Shang-Jin Wei, 2005.
"Fear of service outsourcing: is it justified?,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 20(42), pages 308-347, 04.
- Erkki Koskela & Ronnie Schöb, 1999.
"Does the Composition of Wage and Payroll Taxes Matter Under Nash Bargaining?,"
203, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Koskela, Erkki & Schob, Ronnie, 1999. "Does the composition of wage and payroll taxes matter under Nash bargaining?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 343-349, September.
- Koskela, E. & Schob, R., 1998. "Does the Composition of Wage and Payroll Taxes Matter Under Nash Bargaining," University of Helsinki, Department of Economics 443, Department of Economics.
- Koskela, Erkki & Schob, Ronnie, 2002.
" Optimal Factor Income Taxation in the Presence of Unemployment,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 4(3), pages 387-404.
- Koskela, Erkki & Schöb, Ronnie, 2001. "Optimal Factor Income Taxation in the Presence of Unemployment," Discussion Papers 758, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Erkki Koskela & Ronnie Schöb, 2000. "Optimal Factor Income Taxation in the Presence of Unemployment," CESifo Working Paper Series 279, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gorg, Holger & Hanley, Aoife, 2005. "Labour demand effects of international outsourcing: Evidence from plant-level data," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 365-376.
- Slaughter, Matthew J., 2001. "International trade and labor-demand elasticities," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 27-56, June.
- Sebastian Braun & Juliane Scheffel, 2007. "A Note on the Effect of Outsourcing on Union Wages," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2007-034, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp3501. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.