Optimal Redistributive Taxation and Provision of Public Input Goods in an Economy with Outsourcing and Unemployment
This paper concerns optimal redistributive income taxation and provision of a public input good in a two-type model with a minimum wage policy implemented for the low-ability type, where firms may use some of their resources for outsourcing by locating part of the production process abroad. Our results show that the incentive to relax the self-selection constraint and the incentive to increase employment among the low-skilled reinforce each other in terms of marginal income taxation. In addition, the appearance of equilibrium unemployment also provides an incentive for the government to directly tax outsourcing. Without a direct instrument for taxing outsourcing, the government may reduce the amount of resources spent on outsourcing by increased provision of the public input good, which is desirable in the sense that reduced outsourcing contributes to less wage inequality and increased employment.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefan Boeters & Kerstin Schneider, 1999. "Government versus Union. The Structure of Optimal Taxation in a Unionized Labor Market," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 56(2), pages 174-, June.
- Jonathan Haskel & Matthew J. Slaughter, 1999.
"Trade, Technology and U.K. Wage Inequality,"
NBER Working Papers
6978, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Boadway, Robin & Cuff, Katherine, 2001.
"A minimum wage can be welfare-improving and employment-enhancing,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 553-576, March.
- Robin Boadway & Katherine Cuff, 1999. "A Minimum Wage Can Be Welfare-Improving and Employment-Enhancing," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 72, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Robin Boadway & Katherine Cuff, 1999. "A Minimum Wage can be Welfare-Improving and Employment-Enhancing," Working Papers 980, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1999. "The Impact Of Outsourcing And High-Technology Capital On Wages: Estimates For The United States, 1979-1990," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(3), pages 907-940, August.
- Aronsson, Thomas & Koskela, Erkki, 2008. "Outsourcing and Optimal Nonlinear Taxation: A Note," Umeå Economic Studies 737, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Christian Keuschnigg & Evelyn Ribi, 2008.
"Outsourcing, Unemployment and Welfare Policy,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2452, CESifo Group Munich.
- Christian Keuschnigg & Evelyn Ribi, 2007. "Outsourcing, Unemployment and Welfare Policy," Working Papers 0720, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Keuschnigg, Christian & Ribi, Evelyn, 2007. "Outsourcing, Unemployment and Welfare Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 6605, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christian Keuschnigg & Evelyn Ribi, 2007. "Outsourcing, Unemployment and Welfare Policy," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2007 2007-41, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Alexander Hijzen, 2007. "International Outsourcing, Technological Change, and Wage Inequality," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 188-205, 02.
- Geishecker, Ingo & Görg, Holger, 2007.
"Winners and losers: A Micro-level Analysis of International Outsourcing and Wages,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6484, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ingo Geishecker & Holger Görg, 2008. "Winners and losers: a micro-level analysis of international outsourcing and wages," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 41(1), pages 243-270, February.
- Marceau, Nicolas & Boadway, Robin, 1994. " Minimum Wage Legislation and Unemployment Insurance as Instruments for Redistribution," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 96(1), pages 67-81.
- Clemens Fuest & Bernd Huber, 1997.
"Wage bargaining, labor-tax progression, and welfare,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 66(2), pages 127-150, June.
- Fuest, Clemens & Huber, Bernd, 1997. "Wage bargaining, Labor-tax progression, and welfare," Munich Reprints in Economics 20302, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Aronsson, Thomas & Sjögren, Tomas, 2002.
"Is the Optimal Labor Income Tax Progressive in a Unionized Economy?,"
Umeå Economic Studies
587, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Thomas Aronsson & Tomas Sjögren, 2004. "Is the Optimal Labor Income Tax Progressive in a Unionized Economy?," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 106(4), pages 661-675, December.
- Stern, Nicholas, 1982. "Optimum taxation with errors in administration," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 181-211, March.
- Koskela, Erkki & Schob, Ronnie, 2002.
" Optimal Factor Income Taxation in the Presence of Unemployment,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 4(3), pages 387-404.
- Erkki Koskela & Ronnie Schöb, 2000. "Optimal Factor Income Taxation in the Presence of Unemployment," CESifo Working Paper Series 279, CESifo Group Munich.
- Koskela, Erkki & Schöb, Ronnie, 2001. "Optimal Factor Income Taxation in the Presence of Unemployment," Discussion Papers 758, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger, 2006.
"International Outsourcing and the Productivity of Low-Skilled Labor in the EU,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 44(1), pages 98-108, January.
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger, . "International Outsourcing and the Productivity of Low-skilled Labour in the EU," WIFO Working Papers 152, WIFO.
- Mary Amiti & Shang-Jin Wei, 2005.
"Fear of service outsourcing: is it justified?,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 20(42), pages 308-347, 04.
- Thomas Aronsson & Erkki Koskela, 2008. "Outsourcing and Optimal Nonlinear Taxation: A Note," CESifo Working Paper Series 2269, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rebecca Riley & Dr Garry Young, 2003.
"Skill Heterogeneity and Equilibrium Unemployment,"
NIESR Discussion Papers
120, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Stefanova Boyka M, 2006. "The Political Economy of Outsourcing in the European Union and the East-European Enlargement," Business and Politics, De Gruyter, vol. 8(2), pages 1-45, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_2481. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.