Do labour market institutions matter? Micro-level wage effects of international outsourcing in three European countries
This paper studies the impact of outsourcing on individual wages in three European countries with markedly different labour market institutions: Germany, the UK and Denmark. To do so we use individual-level data sets for the three countries and construct comparable measures of outsourcing at the industry level, distinguishing outsourcing by broad region. We discuss some possible intuitive reasons for why there may be differences in the impact of outsourcing across the three countries, based on labour market institutions.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Fragmentation and multinational production," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 935-945, April.
- Moulton, Brent R, 1990. "An Illustration of a Pitfall in Estimating the Effects of Aggregate Variables on Micro Unit," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 334-338, May.
- Stephen Nickell & Luca Nunziata & Wolfgang Ochel, 2005. "Unemployment in the OECD Since the 1960s. What Do We Know?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(500), pages 1-27, 01.
- Ingo Geishecker, 2006. "Does Outsourcing to Central and Eastern Europe Really Threaten Manual Workers' Jobs in Germany?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(5), pages 559-583, 05.
- Marin, Dalia, 2004.
"A Nation of Poets and Thinkers - Less so with Eastern Enlargement? Austria and Germany,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4358, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marin, Dalia, 2004. "'A Nation of Poets and Thinkers' - Less So with Eastern Enlargement? Austria and Germany," Discussion Papers in Economics 329, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Munch, Jakob R. & Skaksen, Jan Rose, 2005.
"Specialization, Outsourcing and Wages,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1907, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jakob Munch & Jan Skaksen, 2009. "Specialization, outsourcing and wages," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 145(1), pages 57-73, April.
- Jakob Roland Munch & Jan Rose Skaksen, 2005. "Specialization, Outsourcing and Wages," Discussion Papers 05-28, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Munch, Jakob Roland & Skaksen, Jan Rose, 2006. "Specialization, Outsourcing and Wages," Working Papers 19-2005, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Mary Amiti & Shang-Jin Wei, 2006. "Service Offshoring and Productivity: Evidence from the United States," NBER Working Papers 11926, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marin, Dalia, 2004. "â€˜A Nation of Poets and Thinkersâ€™ - Less So with Eastern Enlargement? Austria and Germany," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 77, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Jakob Roland Munch, 2005. "International Outsourcing and Individual Job Separations," Discussion Papers 05-11, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Paul Krugman, 1995. "Growing World Trade: Causes and Consequences," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(1, 25th A), pages 327-377.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1999. "The Impact of Outsourcing and High-Technology Capital on Wages: Estimates For the United States, 1979–1990," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 114(3), pages 907-940.
- Feenstra, Robert C & Hanson, Gordon H, 1996.
"Globalization, Outsourcing, and Wage Inequality,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 240-245, May.
- Holger Görg & Aoife Hanley & Eric Strobl, 2008.
"Productivity effects of international outsourcing: evidence from plant-level data,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 41(2), pages 670-688, May.
- Görg, Holger & Hanley, Aoife & Strobl, Eric, 2007. "Productivity Effects of International Outsourcing: Evidence from Plant Level Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 6361, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wilhelm Kohler, 2004. "International outsourcing and factor prices with multistage production," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(494), pages 166-185, 03.
- Ingo Geishecker & Holger Görg, 2008.
"Winners and losers: a micro-level analysis of international outsourcing and wages,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 41(1), pages 243-270, February.
- Geishecker, Ingo & Görg, Holger, 2007. "Winners and losers: A Micro-level Analysis of International Outsourcing and Wages," CEPR Discussion Papers 6484, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Amiti, Mary & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2006. "Service Offshoring, Productivity and Employment: Evidence from the US," CEPR Discussion Papers 5475, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hijzen, Alexander & Görg, Holger & Hine, Robert C., 2004.
"International Outsourcing and the Skill Structure of Labour Demand in the United Kingdom,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1249, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alexander Hijzen & Holger Görg & Robert C. Hine, 2005. "International Outsourcing and the Skill Structure of Labour Demand in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(506), pages 860-878, October.
- Alexander Hijzen & Holger Görg & Robert C. Hine, 2004. "International Outsourcing and the Skill Structure of Labour Demand in the United Kingdom," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 437, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Arndt, Sven W., 1997. "Globalization and the open economy," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 71-79.
- Sven Arndt, 1999. "Globalization and economic development," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 309-318.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ifwkie:32951. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.