Does Profit Sharing Affect Productivity?
Existing research tends to show that profit-sharing plans for employees are associated with higher company productivity and profitability, though the causality and mechanisms are unclear. This study uses new data from a survey of 500 U.S. public companies, and panel data on corporate performance, to examine the relationship between productivity measures and the adoption and presence of profit sharing. Controlling for a variety of influences on productivity, profit sharing adoption is found to be associated with average productivity increases of 4-5%, with no subsequent positive or negative trend. The productivity increase is dispersed; it is found to be larger for small companies and for cash plans, and to be unaffected when controlling for personnel policies which may affect productivity. There is, however, no evidence on the mechanisms through which profit sharing may affect productivity, since there are no strong interactions with information-sharing or other policies in affecting productivity.
|Date of creation:||Nov 1993|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hausman, Jerry A & Wise, David A, 1979. "Attrition Bias in Experimental and Panel Data: The Gary Income Maintenance Experiment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 455-73, March.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Nicholas Wilson & Michael J. Peel, 1991. "The impact on absenteeism and quits of profit-sharing and other forms of employee participation," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 44(3), pages 454-468, April.
- Wadhwani, Sushil & Wall, Martin, 1990.
"The Effects of Profit-Sharing on Employment, Wages, Stock Returns and Productivity: Evidence from UK Micro-data,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(399), pages 1-17, March.
- Wadhwani, S. & Wall, M., 1988. "The Effects Of Profit-Sharing On Employment, Wages, Stock Returns And Productivity: Evidence From Uk Micro-Data," Papers 311, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Estrin, Saul & Jones, Derek C. & Svejnar, Jan, 1987. "The productivity effects of worker participation: Producer cooperatives in western economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 40-61, March.
- Baker, George P & Jensen, Michael C & Murphy, Kevin J, 1988.
" Compensation and Incentives: Practice vs. Theory,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 43(3), pages 593-616, July.
- Morris M. Kleiner & Marvin L. Bouillon, 1988. "Providing Business Information to Production Workers: Correlates of Compensation and Profitability," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 41(4), pages 605-617, July.
- Verbeek, M.J.C.M. & Nijman, T.E., 1990.
"Testing for selectivity bias in panel data models,"
1990-18, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- repec:sae:ilrrev:v:43:y:1990:i:3:p:256-273 is not listed on IDEAS
- Will Bartlett & John Cable & Saul Estrin & Derek C. Jones & Stephen C. Smith, 1992. "Or-Managed Cooperatives and Private Firms in North Central Italy: An Empirical Comparison," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 46(1), pages 103-118, October.
- James A. Brickley & Kathleen T. Hevert, 1991. "Direct Employee Stock Ownership: An Empirical Investigation," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 20(2), Summer.
- Paula B. Voos, 1987. "Managerial Perceptions of the Economic Impact of Labor Relations Programs," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 40(2), pages 195-208, January.
- Cahuc, Pierre & Dormont, Brigitte, 1997.
"Profit-sharing: Does it increase productivity and employment? A theoretical model and empirical evidence on French micro data,"
Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 293-319, September.
- Cahuc, P. & Dormont, B., 1992. "Profit-Sharing: Does It Increase Productivity and Employment? A Theoretical Model and Empirical Evidence of French Micro Data," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 92.45, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Jones, D.C. & Svejnar, J., 1984.
"Participation, profit sharing, worker ownership and efficieny in Italian producer cooperatives,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1984019, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jones, Derek C & Svejnar, Jan, 1985. "Participation, Profit Sharing, Worker Ownership and Efficiency in Italian Producer Cooperative," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 52(208), pages 449-65, November.
- JONES, Derek C. & SVEJNAR, Jan, . "Participation, profit sharing, worker ownership and efficiency in Italian producer cooperatives," CORE Discussion Papers RP 681, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald & Peter Sanfey, 1996.
"Wages, Profits, and Rent-Sharing,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 111(1), pages 227-251.
- Barry T. Hirsch, 1991. "Labor Unions and the Economic Performance of Unions," Books from Upjohn Press, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, number luepf.
- Putterman, Louis & Skillman, Gil Jr., 1988. "The incentive effects of monitoring under alternative compensation schemes," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 109-119, March.
- Levine, David I., 1992. "Piece rates, output restriction, and conformism," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 473-489, September.
- Bell, Linda A & Neumark, David, 1993. "Lump-Sum Payments and Profit-Sharing Plans in the Union Sector of the United States Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(418), pages 602-19, May.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972.
"Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-95, December.
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971. "Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations," UCLA Economics Working Papers 10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Kruse, Douglas L, 1992. "Profit Sharing and Productivity: Microeconomic Evidence from the United States," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(410), pages 24-36, January.
- Verbeek, Marno, 1990. "On the estimation of a fixed effects model with selectivity bias," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 267-270, November.
- Steven G. Allen & Robert L. Clark, 1987. "Pensions and Firm Performance," NBER Working Papers 2266, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles F. Manski, 1989. "Anatomy of the Selection Problem," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 24(3), pages 343-360.
- Nicholas Wilson & Michael J. Peel, 1991. "The Impact on Absenteeism and Quits of Profit-Sharing and other Forms of Employee Participation," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 44(3), pages 454-468, April.
- Heckman, James J. & Robb, Richard Jr., 1985. "Alternative methods for evaluating the impact of interventions : An overview," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 239-267.
- Roger T. Kaufman, 1992. "The Effects of Improshare on Productivity," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 45(2), pages 311-322, January.
- Cable, John & Wilson, Nicholas, 1989. "Profit-Sharing and Productivity: An Analysis of UK Engineering Firms," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(396), pages 366-75, June.
- Bassi, Laurie J, 1984. "Estimating the Effect of Training Programs with Non-Random Selection," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(1), pages 36-43, February.
- Defourney, Jacques & Estrin, Saul & Jones, Derek C., 1985. "The effects of workers' participation on enterprise performance : Empirical evidence from French cooperatives," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 197-217, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:4542. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.