Wages, Profits and Rent-Sharing
The paper uses CPS data from 1964 to 1985 to test for the existence of rent-sharing in US tabor markets, Using an unbalanced panel from the manufacturing sector, and random-effects and fixed-effects specifications, the paper finds that changes in wages are explained by movements in lagged levels of profitability and unemployment. The results appear to be consistent with rent-sharing theory (or a labor contract framework with risk-averse firms) and to be inconsistent with the competitive labor market model. The paper estimates the unemployment elasticity of pay at approximately -0.03, and the profit elasticity of pay at between 0.02 and 0.05.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1992|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Quarterly Journal of Economics, February, 1996, vol.CXI(1), pp. 227-252.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchflower, D. & Oswald, A., 1989.
"The Wage Curve,"
340, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew Oswald, 1995.
"International Wage Curves,"
in: Differences and Changes in Wage Structures, pages 145-174
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Max H. Bazerman, 1985. "Norms of distributive justice in interest arbitration," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 38(4), pages 558-570, July.
- Nickell, S. & Wadhwani, S., 1989.
"Insider Forces And Wage Determination,"
334, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Nickell, S. & Wadhwani, S., 1989. "Insider Forces And Wage Determination," Economics Series Working Papers 9972, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Nickell, Stephen & Wadhwani, Sushil B, 1989. "Insider Forces and Wage Determination," CEPR Discussion Papers 310, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baily, Martin Neil, 1974. "Wages and Employment under Uncertain Demand," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 37-50, January.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521818551 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alan B. Krueger & Lawrence H. Summers, 1986. "Reflections on the Inter-Industry Wage Structure," NBER Working Papers 1968, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald & Mario D. Garrett, 1989.
"Insider Power in Wage Determination,"
NBER Working Papers
3179, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oswald, Andrew J, 1986. "Unemployment Insurance and Labor Contracts under Asymmetric Information: Theory and Facts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(3), pages 365-77, June.
- Sparks, Gordon R & Wilton, David A, 1971.
"Determinants of Negotiated Wage Increases: An Empirical Analysis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 39(5), pages 739-50, September.
- Gordon R. Sparks & David A.Wilton, 1970. "Determinants of Negotiated Wage Increases: An Empirical Analysis," Working Papers 19, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Moulton, Brent R., 1986. "Random group effects and the precision of regression estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 385-397, August.
- Azariadis, Costas, 1975. "Implicit Contracts and Underemployment Equilibria," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(6), pages 1183-1202, December.
- Krueger, Alan B & Summers, Lawrence H, 1988. "Efficiency Wages and the Inter-industry Wage Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 259-93, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:4222. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.