Shared Modes of Compensation and Firm Performance: UK Evidence
This paper examines the use and consequences of shared compensation plans (profit sharing, profit related pay, SAYE schemes and company stock option plans) in a sample of UK workplaces and firms in the 1990s. The use of these plans has increased over time, in part in response to government programs. The evidence shows that companies and workplaces adopting shared compensation practices have had higher productivity than other firms, but the effects vary among programs, suggesting that the particulars matter a lot in aligning shared compensation and work place activities. Consistent with incentive theory, the evidence also shows that firms and workplaces with shared compensation practices have a higher incidence of shared decision-making / information sharing practices.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Shared Modes of Compensation and Firm Performance U.K. Evidence , Martin Conyon, Richard B. Freeman. in Seeking a Premier Economy: The Economic Effects of British Economic Reforms, 1980-2000 , Card, Blundell, and Freeman. 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gregg, P. A & Machin, S. j, 1987.
"Unions and the Incidence of Performance Linked Pay Schemes in Britain,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
286, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Gregg, P. A. & Machin, S. J., 1988. "Unions and the incidence of performance linked pay schemes in Britain," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 91-107, March.
- Wadhwani, S. & Wall, M., 1988.
"The Effects Of Profit-Sharing On Employment, Wages, Stock Returns And Productivity: Evidence From Uk Micro-Data,"
311, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Wadhwani, Sushil & Wall, Martin, 1990. "The Effects of Profit-Sharing on Employment, Wages, Stock Returns and Productivity: Evidence from UK Micro-data," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(399), pages 1-17, March.
- repec:inr:wpaper:153731 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chris Doucouliagos, 1995.
"Worker participation and productivity in labor-managed and participatory capitalist firms: A meta-analysis,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 49(1), pages 58-77, October.
- Chris Doucouliagos, 1995. "Worker Participation and Productivity in Labor-Managed and Participatory Capitalist Firms: A Meta-Analysis," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 49(1), pages 58-77, October.
- -, 1995. "Summary of Caribbean Economic Performance," Sede Subregional de la CEPAL para el Caribe (Estudios e Investigaciones) 38909, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- Cable, John & Wilson, Nicholas, 1989. "Profit-Sharing and Productivity: An Analysis of UK Engineering Firms," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(396), pages 366-75, June.
- Joseph Blasi & Michael Conte & Douglas Kruse, 1996. "Employee stock ownership and corporate performance among public companies," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 50(1), pages 60-79, October.
- Richard B. Freeman & Edward P. Lazear, 1995.
"An Economic Analysis of Works Councils,"
in: Works Councils: Consultation, Representation, and Cooperation in Industrial Relations, pages 27-52
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen J Nickell & Stephen Redding & Joanna Swaffield, 2002.
"Educational attainment, labour market institutions, and the structure of production,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
3706, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Nickell, Stephen & Redding, Stephen J. & Swaffield, Joanna K, 2001. "Educational Attainment, Labour Market Institutions and the Structure of Production," CEPR Discussion Papers 3068, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephen Nickell & Stephen Redding & Joanna Swaffield, 2002. "Educational Attainment, Labour Market Institutions, and the Structure of Production," CEP Discussion Papers dp0545, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Kandel, E. & Lazear, E.P., 1990.
"Peer Pressure and Partnerships,"
90-07, Rochester, Business - Managerial Economics Research Center.
- Anonymous, 1995. "Contents of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 12," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 12(3), September.
- anonymous, 1995. "Georgia economy strong even without Olympics," Regional Update, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Oct, pages 11-13.
- Edward P. Lazear, 1995.
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262121883, June.
- anonymous, 1995. "Does the bouncing ball lead to economic growth?," Regional Update, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Jul, pages 1-2, 4-6.
- -, 1995. "Economic survey of Puerto Rico, 1994," Oficina de la CEPAL en Washington (Estudios e Investigaciones) 28953, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- Douglas L. Kruse, 1993. "Profit Sharing: Does It Make a Difference?," Books from Upjohn Press, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, number ps.
- -, 1995. "International economic highlights 1994," Oficina de la CEPAL en Washington (Estudios e Investigaciones) 28948, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- -, 1995. "Evolución de la economía brasileña," Informe Estadístico – Oficina de la CEPAL en Brasilia 28113, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- anonymous, 1995. "Economist examines financial derivatives risk," Financial Update, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Jan, pages 4.
- Joseph Blasi & Michael Conte & Douglas Kruse, 1996. "Employee Stock Ownership and Corporate Performance among Public Companies," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 50(1), pages 60-79, October.
- Anonymous, 1995. "March 1995 economic forecasts," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 58, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:8448. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.