Likelihood inference in non-linear term structure models: the importance of the lower bound
This paper shows how to use adaptive particle filtering and Markov chain Monte Carlo methods to estimate quadratic term structure models (QTSMs) by likelihood inference. The procedure is applied to a quadratic model for the United States during the recent financial crisis. We find that this model provides a better statistical description of the data than a Gaussian affine term structure model. In addition, QTSMs account perfectly for the lower bound whereas Gaussian affine models frequently imply forecast distributions with negative interest rates. Such predictions appear during the recent financial crisis but also prior to the crisis.
|Date of creation:||20 Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neil Shephard & Thomas Flury, 2009. "Learning and filtering via simulation: smoothly jittered particle filters," Economics Series Working Papers 469, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Ergashev, Bakhodir, 2009. "Analysis of Multifactor Affine Yield Curve Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(488), pages 1324-1337.
- Richard, Jean-Francois & Zhang, Wei, 2007.
"Efficient high-dimensional importance sampling,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 1385-1411, December.
- Martin M. Andreasen, 2010. "Non-linear DSGE Models and The Optimized Particle Filter," CREATES Research Papers 2010-05, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Thomas Flury & Neil Shephard, 2008.
"Bayesian inference based only on simulated likelihood: particle filter analysis of dynamic economic models,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2008fe32, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Flury, Thomas & Shephard, Neil, 2011. "Bayesian Inference Based Only On Simulated Likelihood: Particle Filter Analysis Of Dynamic Economic Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(05), pages 933-956, October.
- Neil Shephard & Thomas Flury, 2008. "Bayesian inference based only on simulated likelihood: particle filter analysis of dynamic economic models," Economics Series Working Papers 413, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Don H Kim, 2007. "Spanned stochastic volatility in bond markets: a reexamination of the relative pricing between bonds and bond options," BIS Working Papers 239, Bank for International Settlements.
- Dong-Hyun Ahn & Robert F. Dittmar, 2002. "Quadratic Term Structure Models: Theory and Evidence," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(1), pages 243-288, March.
- Leippold, Markus & Wu, Liuren, 2002.
"Asset Pricing under the Quadratic Class,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(02), pages 271-295, June.
- Christophe Andrieu & Arnaud Doucet & Roman Holenstein, 2010. "Particle Markov chain Monte Carlo methods," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 72(3), pages 269-342.
- Marco Realdon, 2006.
"Quadratic Term Structure Models in Discrete Time,"
06/01, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Black, Fischer, 1995. " Interest Rates as Options," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1371-76, December.
- Carrasco, Marine & Florens, Jean-Pierre, 2002. "Simulation-Based Method of Moments and Efficiency," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(4), pages 482-92, October.
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boe:boeewp:0481. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publications Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.