Taking Positive Interest Rates Seriously
We present a dynamic term structure model in which interest rates of all maturities are bounded from below at zero. Positivity and continuity, combined with no arbitrage, result in only one functional form for the term structure with three sources of risk. One dynamic factor controls the level of the interest rate and follows a special two-parameter square-root process under the risk-neutral measure. The two parameters of the process determine the other two sources of risk and act as two static factors. This model has no other parameters to estimate and hence bears no other risks.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Qiang Dai & Kenneth Singleton, 2003. "Term Structure Dynamics in Theory and Reality," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(3), pages 631-678, July.
- Viatcheslav Gorovoi & Vadim Linetsky, 2004. "Black's Model of Interest Rates as Options, Eigenfunction Expansions and Japanese Interest Rates," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 49-78.
- Dong-Hyun Ahn & Robert F. Dittmar, 2002. "Quadratic Term Structure Models: Theory and Evidence," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(1), pages 243-288, March.
- Massoud Heidari & Liuren WU, 2002. "Are Interest Rate Derivatives Spanned by the Term Structure of Interest Rates?," Finance 0207013, EconWPA.
- Markus Leippold & Liuren Wu, 2002. "Design and Estimation of Quadratic Term Structure Models," Finance 0207014, EconWPA.
- Tomas Björk & Bent Jesper Christensen, 1999.
"Interest Rate Dynamics and Consistent Forward Rate Curves,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(4), pages 323-348.
- Björk, Tomas & Christensen, Bent Jesper, 1997. "Interest Rate Dynamics and Consistent Forward Rate Curves," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 209, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Damir Filipovic, 2001. "A general characterization of one factor affine term structure models," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 389-412.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- Knez, Peter J & Litterman, Robert & Scheinkman, Jose Alexandre, 1994. " Explorations into Factors Explaining Money Market Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1861-82, December.
- Michael W. Brandt & Amir Yaron, 2003. "Time-Consistent No-Arbitrage Models of the Term Structure," NBER Working Papers 9458, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leippold, Markus & Wu, Liuren, 2002.
"Asset Pricing under the Quadratic Class,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(02), pages 271-295, June.
- Darrell Duffie & Rui Kan, 1996. "A Yield-Factor Model Of Interest Rates," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 379-406.
- Damir Filipović, 1999. "A Note on the Nelson-Siegel Family," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(4), pages 349-359.
- Constantinides, George M, 1992. "A Theory of the Nominal Term Structure of Interest Rates," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(4), pages 531-52.
- Gregory R. Duffee, 2002. "Term Premia and Interest Rate Forecasts in Affine Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 405-443, 02.
- David Backus & Silverio Foresi & Abon Mozumdar & Liuren Wu, 1998.
"Predictable Changes in Yields and Forward Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
6379, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jin, Yan & Glasserman, Paul, 2001. "Equilibrium Positive Interest Rates: A Unified View," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(1), pages 187-214.
- Black, Fischer, 1995. " Interest Rates as Options," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1371-76, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpfi:0409013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.