To bid or not to bid, this is the question: the Italian experience in competitive tendering for local bus services
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Boitani, Andrea & Cambini, Carlo, 2006. "“To Bid or Not to Bid, This is the Question: The Italian Experience in Competitive Tendering for Local Bus Services”," MPRA Paper 2253, University Library of Munich, Germany.
References listed on IDEAS
- Paul Klemperer, 2004. "Auctions: Theory and Practice," Online economics textbooks, SUNY-Oswego, Department of Economics, number auction1, March.
- Andrea Boitani & Carlo Cambini, 2002. "Il trasporto pubblico locale in Italia. Dopo la riforma i difficili albori di un mercato," Mercato Concorrenza Regole, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 45-72.
- Boycko, Maxim & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1996. "A Theory of Privatisation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(435), pages 309-319, March.
- Andrea Boitani & Carlo Cambini, 2004. "Le gare per i servizi di trasporto locale in Europa e in Italia: molto rumore per nulla?," ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2004(122).
- Hensher, David A. & Houghton, Erne, 2004. "Performance-based quality contracts for the bus sector: delivering social and commercial value for money," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 123-146, February.
- Anne Yvrande-Billon, 2006. "The Attribution Process Of Delegation Contracts In The French Urban Public Transport Sector: Why Competitive Tendering Is A Myth," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 77(4), pages 453-478, December.
- Dag Dalen & Andres Gómez-Lobo, 2003. "Yardsticks on the road: Regulatory contracts and cost efficiency in the Norwegian bus industry," Transportation, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 371-386, November.
- David A. Hensher & Ian P. Wallis, 2005. "Competitive Tendering as a Contracting Mechanism for Subsidising Transport: The Bus Experience," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 39(3), pages 295-322, September.
- Crocker, Keith J & Masten, Scott E, 1996. "Regulation and Administered Contracts Revisited: Lessons from Transaction-Cost Economics for Public Utility Regulation," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 5-39, January.
- C. Cambini & M. Filippini, 2003. "Competitive Tendering and Optimal Size in the Regional Bus Transportation Industry: An Example from Italy," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 74(1), pages 163-182, March.
- Paul Klemperer, 2004. "Introduction to Auctions: Theory and Practice," Introductory Chapters,in: Auctions: Theory and Practice Princeton University Press.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andrea Boitani & Marcella Nicolini & Carlo Scarpa, 2013.
"Do competition and ownership matter? Evidence from local public transport in Europe,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(11), pages 1419-1434, April.
- Andrea Boitani & Marcella Nicolini & Carlo Scarpa, 2009. "Do Competition and Ownership Matter? Evidence from Local Public Transport in Europe," Working Papers 09_11, SIET Società Italiana di Economia dei Trasporti e della Logistica.
- Andrea Boitani & Marcella Nicolini & Carlo Scarpa, 2011. "Do competition and ownership matter? Evidence from local public transport in Europe," Post-Print hal-00768582, HAL.
- Marcella Nicolini & Andrea Boitani & Carlo Scarpa, 2010. "Do Competition and Ownership Matter? Evidence from Local Public Transport in Europe," Working Papers 2010.9, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Lalive, Rafael & Schmutzler, Armin, 2008.
"Exploring the effects of competition for railway markets,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 443-458, March.
- Rafael Lalive & Armin Schmutzler, 2005. "Exploring the Effects of Competition for Railway Markets," SOI - Working Papers 0511, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich, revised Apr 2007.
- Lalive, Rafael & Schmutzler, Armin, 2011.
"Auctions vs Negotiations in Public Procurement: Which Works Better?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8538, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rafael Lalive & Armin Schmutzler & Christine Zulehner, 2015. "Auctions vs negotiations in public procurement: which Works better?," ECON - Working Papers 209, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Rafael Lalive & Armin Schmutzler, 2011. "Auctions vs negotiations in public procurement: which works better?," ECON - Working Papers 023, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- repec:eee:trapol:v:60:y:2017:i:c:p:54-62 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ida, Yoram & Talit, Gal, 2015. "Regulation of public bus services: The Israeli experience," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 156-165.
- Avenali, Alessandro & Boitani, Andrea & Catalano, Giuseppe & D’Alfonso, Tiziana & Matteucci, Giorgio, 2016. "Assessing standard costs in local public bus transport: Evidence from Italy," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 164-174.
- John Stanley, 2011. "Public Transport Liberalization: Achievements and Future Directions," Chapters,in: International Handbook of Network Industries, chapter 16 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Francesco, Gastaldi & Lucia, Quaglino & Carlo, Stagnaro, 2012.
"Il trasporto pubblico locale e la concorrenza. Cambiare paradigma per salvare il servizio: il caso ligure
[Local Public Transportation and Competition. Changing Paradigm to Save the Service: The Ca," MPRA Paper 49464, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Augustin, Katrin & Walter, Matthias, 2010. "Operator changes through competitive tendering: Empirical evidence from German local bus transport," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 36-44.
- Lidestam, Helene, 2014. "Sustainable bus transports through less detailed contracts," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 141-146.
- Hunold, Matthias & Wolf, Christoph, 2013. "Competitive procurement design: Evidence from regional passenger railway services in Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-009, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- repec:eee:trapol:v:62:y:2018:i:c:p:48-57 is not listed on IDEAS
- Daniel Albalate & Germà Bel & Joan Calzada, 2010. "Urban transport governance reform in Barcelona," IREA Working Papers 201009, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Jun 2010.
- Wegelin, Philipp & von Arx, Widar, 2016. "The impact of alternative governance forms of regional public rail transport on transaction costs. Case evidence from Germany and Switzerland," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 133-142.
- Camén, Carolina & Lidestam, Helene, 2016. "Dominating factors contributing to the high(er) costs for public bus transports in Sweden," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 292-296.
More about this item
KeywordsLocal bus services; Tendering;
- R48 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Economics - - - Government Pricing and Policy
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sot:journl:y:2006:i:33:p:41-53. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Romeo Danielis). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/xxxxxxx.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.