Competitive procurement design: Evidence from regional passenger railway services in Germany
We study competitive awarding procedures of short haul railway passenger services in Germany from 1995 to 2011 by means of a newly collected data set. In particular, we use regression techniques to investigate the determinants of the number of bidders, the identity of the winning bidder and the subsidy level. We find that there are more bidders when the contract duration is high and the revenue risk low. The dominant operator is more likely to win contracts if it is the incumbent, the network is large, the contract duration is high, when used rolling stock is admitted and when there are few other bidders.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: L 7,1; D - 68161 Mannheim|
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hunold, Matthias & Laitenberger, Ulrich & Licht, Georg & Nikogosian, Vigen & Stenzel, André & Ullrich, Hannes & Wolf, Christoph, 2011. "Modernisierung der Konzentrationsberichterstattung: Endbericht," ZEW Expertises, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research, number 110525.
- Heike Link & Rico Merkert, 2011. "Success Factors And Pitfalls Of Regional Rail Franchising In Germany," Articles, International Journal of Transport Economics, vol. 38(2).
- Amaral, Miguel & Saussier, Stéphane & Yvrande-Billon, Anne, 2009.
"Auction procedures and competition in public services: The case of urban public transport in France and London,"
Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 166-175, June.
- Miguel Amaral & Stéphane Saussier & Anne Yvrande-Billon, 2009. "Auction Procedures and Competition in Public Services: The Case of Urban Public Transport in France and London," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00310911, HAL.
- Boitani, Andrea & Cambini, Carlo, 2006. "To bid or not to bid, this is the question: the Italian experience in competitive tendering for local bus services," European Transport \ Trasporti Europei, ISTIEE, Institute for the Study of Transport within the European Economic Integration, issue 33, pages 41-53.
- Boitani, Andrea & Cambini, Carlo, 2006. "“To Bid or Not to Bid, This is the Question: The Italian Experience in Competitive Tendering for Local Bus Services”," MPRA Paper 2253, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Han Hong & Matthew Shum, 2002. "Increasing Competition and the Winner's Curse: Evidence from Procurement," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 69(4), pages 871-898.
- Han Hong, 2000. "Increasing Competition and the Winner's Curse: Evidence from Procurement," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1628, Econometric Society.
- Han Hong & Matthew Shum, 2001. "Increasing Competition and the Winner's Curse: Evidence from Procurement," Economics Working Paper Archive 447, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:13009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.