Public policy towards the sale of state assets in troubled times: Lessons from the Irish experience
The sale of state assets, both tangible (e.g. commercial firms) and intangible (e.g. radio spectrum), can address budgetary shortfalls. However, drawing on the Irish experience to inform this important issue, it becomes clear that much more is involved in selling state assets in electricity, gas, and transport than ranking such assets by value. Wider public policy considerations need to be taken into account in deciding what to sell and under what conditions. The paper outlines how these wider issues, relating to competition and regulation, can be dealt with so that the sale of state assets will enhance societal welfare.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frances Ruane & Xiaoheng Zhang, 2007. "Location Choices of the Pharmaceutical Industry in Europe after 1992," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp220, IIIS.
- Gorecki, Paul K., 2011.
"Economic Regulation: Recentralisation of Power or Improved Quality of Regulation?,"
WP373, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Paul K. Gorecki, 2011. "Economic Regulation: Recentralisation of Power or Improved Quality of Regulation?," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 42(2), pages 177-211.
- Henry G. Manne, 1965. "Mergers and the Market for Corporate Control," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73, pages 351-351.
- Paul Klemperer, 2004.
"Auctions: Theory and Practice,"
Online economics textbooks,
SUNY-Oswego, Department of Economics, number auction1.
- Seán Diffney & John Fitz Gerald & Seán Lyons & Laura Malaguzzi Valeri, 2009. "Investment in electricity infrastructure in a small isolated market: the case of Ireland," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(3), pages 469-487, Autumn.
- Paul K. Gorecki & Seán Lyons & Richard S. J. Tol, 2009. "EU Climate Change Policy 2013-2020: Using the Clean Development Mechanism More Effectively," Papers WP299, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- T.J. Barrington, 1985. "Public Enterprise In Ireland," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(3), pages 287-312, 07.
- Callan, Tim ed. & Barrett, Alan & Goggin, Jean & Gorecki, Paul K. & Keane, Claire & Kearney, Ide & Matthews, Alan & Walsh, John R., 2009. "Budget Perspectives 2010," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number RS12.
- AfDB AfDB, . "Annual Report in Brief 2010," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 304.
- Sean D. Barrett, 2004. "Privatisation in Ireland," CESifo Working Paper Series 1170, CESifo Group Munich.
- Seán Lyons & Karen Mayor & Richard S.J. Tol, 2008. "Environmental Accounts for the Republic of Ireland: 1990-2005," Papers WP223, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Lunn, Pete & Duffy, David, 2010. "The Euro Through the Looking-Glass: Perceived Inflation Following the 2002 Currency Changeover," Papers WP338, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Tuohy, Aidan & Bazilian, Morgan & Doherty, Ronan & Gallachóir, Brian Ó & O'Malley, Mark, 2009. "Burning peat in Ireland: An electricity market dispatch perspective," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 3035-3042, August.
- AfDB AfDB, 2011. "MDG Report 2011 - Full Report," MDG Report 334, African Development Bank.
- Coase, R H, 1974. "The Lighthouse in Economics," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(2), pages 357-376, October.
- Ken Binmore & Paul Klemperer, 2001.
"The Biggest Auction Ever: the Sale of the British 3G Telecom Licenses,"
2002-W4, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford, revised 01 Sep 2001.
- Ken Binmore & Paul Klemperer, 2002. "The Biggest Auction Ever: the Sale of the British 3G Telecom Licences," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(478), pages 74-96, March.
- Binmore, Kenneth & Klemperer, Paul, 2002. "The Biggest Auction Ever: The Sale of the British 3G Telecom Licences," CEPR Discussion Papers 3214, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gorecki, Paul K., 2009. "The Recession, Budgets, Competition, and Regulation: Should the State Supply Bespoke Protection?," Papers BP2010/2, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- AfDB AfDB, . "AfDB Group Annual Report 2010," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 310.
- Henry G. Manne, 1965. "Mergers and the Market for Corporate Control," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73, pages 110-110.
- Paul Klemperer, 2004. "Introduction to Auctions: Theory and Practice," Introductory Chapters, in: Auctions: Theory and Practice Princeton University Press.
- Paul Gorecki, 2011. "Do you believe in magic? Improving the quality of pharmacy services through restricting entry and aspirational contracts, the Irish experience," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 12(6), pages 521-531, December.
- Gorecki, Paul & Lyons, Sean & Tol, Richard S. J., 2009. "EU Climate Change Policy 2013-2020: Thoughts on Property Rights and Market Choices," Papers WP292, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Massey, Patrick, 2007. "Delayed Indefinitely: Regulatory Reform of the Irish Bus Industry," Quarterly Economic Commentary: Special Articles, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), vol. 2007(1-Spring), pages 38-61.
- John Vickers & George Yarrow, 1988. "Privatization: An Economic Analysis," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262720116, December.
- repec:esr:chaptr:jacb200962 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:juipol:v:19:y:2011:i:3:p:193-201. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.