Characteristics of organizational structure relating to hybrid competitive strategy: Implications for performance
This study examines the characteristics of organizational structure that relate to hybrid competitive strategies. Such strategies seek to obtain higher performance levels by simultaneously emphasizing high differentiation and low-cost levels. In addition, this paper analyzes the mediating role of competitive strategy in the relationship between organizational structure and firm performance. The study examines a sample of large Spanish firms belonging to different sectors. The findings reveal that hybrid competitive strategy influences firm performance positively. Similarly, organizational complexity and the existence of formalization positively influence hybrid competitive strategy, whereas centralization has a negative influence. Organizational structure does not exert a direct influence on performance, but an indirect one, through hybrid competitive strategy.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wright, Peter & Kroll, Mark & Pray, Bevalee & Lado, Augustine, 1995. "Strategic orientations, competitive advantage, and business performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 143-151, June.
- Gabriel Hawawini & Venkat Subramanian & Paul Verdin, 2003. "Is performance driven by industry or firm-specific factors? A new look at the evidence," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14188, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Proff, Heike, 2000. "Hybrid strategies as a strategic challenge -- the case of the German automotive industry," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 541-553, October.
- Markus Becker & Nathalie Lazaric & Richard Nelson & Sidney G. Winter, 2005.
"Applying Organizational Routines in understanding organizational change,"
- Markus C. Becker & Nathalie Lazaric & Richard R. Nelson & Sidney G. Winter, 2005. "Applying organizational routines in understanding organizational change," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(5), pages 775-791, October.
- Diamantopoulos, Adamantios, 2008. "Formative indicators: Introduction to the special issue," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1201-1202, December.
- Karl-Heinz Leitner & Stefan Güldenberg, 2010. "Generic strategies and firm performance in SMEs: a longitudinal study of Austrian SMEs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 169-189, September.
- Patrick Cohendet & Frédéric Creplet & Morad Diani & Olivier Dupouët & Eric Schenk, 2004. "Matching Communities and Hierarchies within the Firm," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 27-48, March.
- Conca, Francisco Jose & Llopis, Juan & Tari, Juan Jose, 2004. "Development of a measure to assess quality management in certified firms," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 156(3), pages 683-697, August.
- Edelman, Linda F. & Brush, Candida G. & Manolova, Tatiana, 2005. "Co-alignment in the resource-performance relationship: strategy as mediator," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 359-383, May.
- del Brio, Jesus Angel & Fernandez, Esteban & Junquera, Beatriz, 2002. "The role of the public administrations in the promotion of the environmental activity in Spanish industrial companies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 279-294, February.
- Fariborz Damanpour, 1996. "Organizational Complexity and Innovation: Developing and Testing Multiple Contingency Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(5), pages 693-716, May.
- Justin J. P. Jansen & Frans A. J. Van Den Bosch & Henk W. Volberda, 2006.
"Exploratory Innovation, Exploitative Innovation, and Performance: Effects of Organizational Antecedents and Environmental Moderators,"
INFORMS, vol. 52(11), pages 1661-1674, November.
- Jansen, J.J.P. & van den Bosch, F.A.J. & Volberda, H.W., 2006. "Exploratory Innovation, Exploitative Innovation, and Performance: Effects of Organizational Antecedents and Environmental Moderators," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2006-038-STR, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Coltman, Tim & Devinney, Timothy M. & Midgley, David F. & Venaik, Sunil, 2008. "Formative versus reflective measurement models: Two applications of formative measurement," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1250-1262, December.
- Bénédicte Reynaud, 2005. "The void at the heart of rules: routines in the context of rule-following. The case of the Paris Metro Workshop," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(5), pages 847-871, October.
- Booth, Marilyn E. & Philip, George, 1998. "Technology, competencies, and competitiveness: The case for reconfigurable and flexible strategies," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 29-40, January.
- Acquaah, Moses & Yasai-Ardekani, Masoud, 2008. "Does the implementation of a combination competitive strategy yield incremental performance benefits? A new perspective from a transition economy in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(4), pages 346-354, April.
- Claes Fornell & Peter Lorange & Johan Roos, 1990. "The Cooperative Venture Formation Process: A Latent Variable Structural Modeling Approach," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(10), pages 1246-1255, October.
- Harrison, David A. & McLaughlin, Mary E. & Coalter, Terry M., 1996. "Context, Cognition, and Common Method Variance: Psychometric and Verbal Protocol Evidence," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 246-261, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:65:y:2012:i:7:p:993-1002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.