Intraday price discovery in fragmented markets
We explore intraday variation in the contribution to price discovery across different exchanges. We estimate a structural model with time-varying parameters in state space form using maximum likelihood. We analyze data for 50 S&P 500 stocks in 2013 and find that the constancy of shares in price discovery is rejected. Tighter quoted spreads attract informed trading from other exchanges. Exchange listing and industrial sector of a stock significantly affect the dominant venues of price discovery in different parts of the day and following macroeconomic news announcements.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Slezak, Steve L, 1994. " A Theory of the Dynamics of Security Returns around Market Closures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1163-1211, September.
- Wood, Robert A & McInish, Thomas H & Ord, J Keith, 1985. " An Investigation of Transactions Data for NYSE Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 723-739, July.
- Oleg Korenok & Bruce Mizrach & Stanislav Radchenko, 2011. "A Structural Approach To Information Shares," Departmental Working Papers 201130, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Frank De Jong & Peter C. Schotman, 2010.
"Price Discovery in Fragmented Markets,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 8(1), pages 1-28, Winter.
- de Jong, Frank & Schotman, Peter C, 2003. "Price Discovery in Fragmented Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 3987, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gonzalo, Jesus & Granger, Clive W J, 1995. "Estimation of Common Long-Memory Components in Cointegrated Systems," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 27-35, January.
- Gonzalo, J. & Granger, C., 1992. "Estimation of Common Long-Memory Components in Cointegrated Systems," Papers 4, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Gonzalo and Granger JBES 1995 paper," Statistical Software Components RTZ00074, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Gallant, A. Ronald, 1981. "On the bias in flexible functional forms and an essentially unbiased form : The fourier flexible form," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 211-245, February.
- Menkveld, Albert J. & Koopman, Siem Jan & Lucas, Andre, 2007. "Modeling Around-the-Clock Price Discovery for Cross-Listed Stocks Using State Space Methods," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 25, pages 213-225, April.
- de Jong, Frank, 2002. "Measures of contributions to price discovery: a comparison," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 323-327, July.
- Christian Upper & Thomas Werner, 2007. "The tail wags the dog: time-varying information shares in the Bund market," BIS Working Papers 224, Bank for International Settlements.
- Lei, Qin & Wu, Guojun, 2005. "Time-varying informed and uninformed trading activities," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 153-181, May.
- Frijns, Bart & Schotman, Peter, 2009. "Price discovery in tick time," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 759-776, December.
- Frijns, Bart & Schotman, Peter C, 2004. "Price Discovery in Tick Time," CEPR Discussion Papers 4456, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sugato Chakravarty & Huseyin Gulen & Stewart Mayhew, 2004. "Informed Trading in Stock and Option Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(3), pages 1235-1258, 06.
- Anat R. Admati, Paul Pfleiderer, 1988. "A Theory of Intraday Patterns: Volume and Price Variability," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 3-40.
- Joel Hasbrouck, 2003. "Intraday Price Formation in U.S. Equity Index Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(6), pages 2375-2400, December.
- Lockwood, Larry J & Linn, Scott C, 1990. " An Examination of Stock Market Return Volatility during Overnight and Intraday Periods, 1964-1989," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(2), pages 591-601, June.
- Lehmann, Bruce N., 2002. "Some desiderata for the measurement of price discovery across markets," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 259-276, July.
- de Jong, F.C.J.M. & Schotman, P.C., 2010. "Price discovery in fragmented markets," Other publications TiSEM 4650a9e7-c4cf-41cf-a771-e, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Mizrach, Bruce & Neely, Christopher J., 2008. "Information shares in the US Treasury market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1221-1233, July.
- Bruce Mizrach & Christopher J. Neely, 2007. "Information shares in the U.S. treasury market," Working Papers 2005-070, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Yan, Bingcheng & Zivot, Eric, 2010. "A structural analysis of price discovery measures," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 1-19, February.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Geoffrey Booth, G. & Tse, Yiuman & Zabotina, Tatyana, 2002. "Price discovery and common factor models," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 309-321, July.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:finmar:v:32:y:2017:i:c:p:28-48. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.