The Relative Contemporaneous Information Response. A New Cointegration-Based Measure of Price Discovery
This paper describes the cointegration-based technologies commonly used to assess the relative price discovery across markets, namely the Hasbrouck information shares and Gonzalo-Granger long memory common factor weights, and presents a new metric denominated contemporaneous information response. These metrics are compared via simulation experiments. It is shown that, under fairly regular market conditions, the contemporaneous information response is a reliable measure of the relative incorporation of information, and in most cases is more resilient to microstructural noise than the other two metrics.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Dias da Silva, 165, 3004-512 COIMBRA|
Phone: + 351 239 790 500
Fax: +351 239 403511
Web page: http://www.uc.pt/en/feuc/gemf/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erik Theissen, 2001.
"Price Discovery in Floor and Screen Trading Systems,"
Bonn Econ Discussion Papers
bgse35_2001, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Theissen, Erik, 2002. "Price discovery in floor and screen trading systems," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 455-474, November.
- Anat R. Admati, Paul Pfleiderer, 1988. "A Theory of Intraday Patterns: Volume and Price Variability," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 3-40.
- Lippi, Marco & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 1993.
"The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances: Comment,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 644-52, June.
- Marco Lippi & Lucrezia Reichlin, 1993. "The dynamic effects of aggregate demand and supply disturbances: comment," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/10159, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 2002. "Stalking the "efficient price" in market microstructure specifications: an overview," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 329-339, July.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Quah, Danny, 1993. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances: Reply," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 653-58, June.
- Gonzalo, Jesus & Ng, Serena, 2001.
"A systematic framework for analyzing the dynamic effects of permanent and transitory shocks,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 25(10), pages 1527-1546, October.
- Gonzalo, J. & Ng, S., 1996. "A Systematic Framework for Analyzing the Dynamic Effects of Permanent and Transitory Shocks," Cahiers de recherche 9603, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Gonzalo, J. & Ng, S., 1996. "A Systematic Framework for Analyzing the Dynamic Effects of Permanent and Transitory Shocks," Cahiers de recherche 9603, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- deB. Harris, Frederick H. & McInish, Thomas H. & Wood, Robert A., 2002. "Security price adjustment across exchanges: an investigation of common factor components for Dow stocks," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 277-308, July.
- Joel Hasbrouck, 2003. "Intraday Price Formation in U.S. Equity Index Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(6), pages 2375-2400, December.
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1995. " One Security, Many Markets: Determining the Contributions to Price Discovery," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1175-99, September.
- Gonzalo, Jesus & Granger, Clive W J, 1995.
"Estimation of Common Long-Memory Components in Cointegrated Systems,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 27-35, January.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Gonzalo and Granger JBES 1995 paper," Statistical Software Components RTZ00074, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Gonzalo, J. & Granger, C., 1992. "Estimation of Common Long-Memory Components in Cointegrated Systems," Papers 4, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1992. " Time and the Process of Security Price Adjustment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 576-605, June.
- Chowdhry, Bhagwan & Nanda, Vikram, 1991. "Multimarket Trading and Market Liquidity," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(3), pages 483-511.
- Theobald, Michael & Yallup, Peter, 2004. "Determining security speed of adjustment coefficients," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 75-96, January.
- Kurov, Alexander & Lasser, Dennis J., 2004. "Price Dynamics in the Regular and E-Mini Futures Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(02), pages 365-384, June.
- Lehmann, Bruce N., 2002. "Some desiderata for the measurement of price discovery across markets," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 259-276, July.
- de Jong, Frank, 2002. "Measures of contributions to price discovery: a comparison," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 323-327, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gmf:wpaper:2012-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sara Santos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.