Price Discovery in Tick Time
In this Paper we propose a tick time model for dealer quote interactions using ultra-high-frequency data. This model includes duration functions to measure the time dependence of volatility as well as information asymmetry. In order to assess price discovery we define several measures in tick time. These measures can be aggregated to calendar time and we define a comparable measure to Hasbrouck (1995) information shares. In our empirical part we examine the Island and Instinet Electronic Communication Networks, and three wholesale market makers for 20 actively traded stocks with varying liquidity at Nasdaq. Our results include that volatility does not increase with the duration between quote updates, and that longer quote durations lead to lower price discovery. In terms of price discovery we find that ECNs tend to dominate the liquid stocks, whereas market makers dominate the less liquid stocks.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F. & Patton, Andrew J., 2004.
"Impacts of trades in an error-correction model of quote prices,"
Journal of Financial Markets,
Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Engle, Robert F & Patton, Andrew J, 2000. "Impacts of Trades in an Error-Correction Model of Quote Prices," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt6dm6093f, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert F. Engle, 2000.
"The Econometrics of Ultra-High Frequency Data,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(1), pages 1-22, January.
- Schultz, Paul, 2003. "Who makes markets," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 49-72, January.
- Thierry Ané & Hélyette Geman, 2000. "Order Flow, Transaction Clock, and Normality of Asset Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 2259-2284, October.
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1995. " One Security, Many Markets: Determining the Contributions to Price Discovery," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1175-99, September.
- Dufour, Alfonso & Engle, Robert F, 1999.
"Time and the Price Impact of a Trade,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt62c0h04j, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Harris, Lawrence, 1987. "Transaction Data Tests of the Mixture of Distributions Hypothesis," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(02), pages 127-141, June.
- Furfine, Craig, 2007. "When is inter-transaction time informative?," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 310-332, June.
- Clark, Peter K, 1973. "A Subordinated Stochastic Process Model with Finite Variance for Speculative Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(1), pages 135-55, January.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Geoffrey Booth, G. & Tse, Yiuman & Zabotina, Tatyana, 2002. "Price discovery and common factor models," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 309-321, July.
- Roger D. Huang, 2002. "The Quality of ECN and Nasdaq Market Maker Quotes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(3), pages 1285-1319, 06.
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1992. " Time and the Process of Security Price Adjustment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 576-605, June.
- Martens, Martin, 1998. "Price discovery in high and low volatility periods: open outcry versus electronic trading," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 8(3-4), pages 243-260, December.
- Grammig, Joachim & Melvin, Michael & Schlag, Christian, 2005.
"Internationally cross-listed stock prices during overlapping trading hours: price discovery and exchange rate effects,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 139-164, January.
- Joachim Grammig & Michael Melvin & Christian Schlag, 2005. "Internationally Cross-Listed Stock Prices During Overlapping Trading Hours: Price Discovery and Exchange Rate Effects," Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting 78, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Christie, William G & Harris, Jeffrey H & Schultz, Paul H, 1994. " Why Did NASDAQ Market Makers Stop Avoiding Odd-Eighth Quotes?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1841-60, December.
- Glosten, Lawrence R. & Harris, Lawrence E., 1988. "Estimating the components of the bid/ask spread," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 123-142, May.
- Joel Hasbrouck, 2003. "Intraday Price Formation in U.S. Equity Index Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(6), pages 2375-2400, December.
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1993. "Assessing the Quality of a Security Market: A New Approach to Transaction-Cost Measurement," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(1), pages 191-212.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:4456. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.