Price Discovery in Tick Time
In this Paper we propose a tick time model for dealer quote interactions using ultra-high-frequency data. This model includes duration functions to measure the time dependence of volatility as well as information asymmetry. In order to assess price discovery we define several measures in tick time. These measures can be aggregated to calendar time and we define a comparable measure to Hasbrouck (1995) information shares. In our empirical part we examine the Island and Instinet Electronic Communication Networks, and three wholesale market makers for 20 actively traded stocks with varying liquidity at Nasdaq. Our results include that volatility does not increase with the duration between quote updates, and that longer quote durations lead to lower price discovery. In terms of price discovery we find that ECNs tend to dominate the liquid stocks, whereas market makers dominate the less liquid stocks.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joel Hasbrouck, 2003. "Intraday Price Formation in U.S. Equity Index Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(6), pages 2375-2400, December.
- Clark, Peter K, 1973. "A Subordinated Stochastic Process Model with Finite Variance for Speculative Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(1), pages 135-55, January.
- Christie, William G & Harris, Jeffrey H & Schultz, Paul H, 1994. " Why Did NASDAQ Market Makers Stop Avoiding Odd-Eighth Quotes?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1841-60, December.
- Engle, Robert F. & Patton, Andrew J., 2004.
"Impacts of trades in an error-correction model of quote prices,"
Journal of Financial Markets,
Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Engle, Robert F & Patton, Andrew J, 2000. "Impacts of Trades in an Error-Correction Model of Quote Prices," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt6dm6093f, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert F. Engle, 1996.
"The Econometrics of Ultra-High Frequency Data,"
NBER Working Papers
5816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1995. " One Security, Many Markets: Determining the Contributions to Price Discovery," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1175-99, September.
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1993. "Assessing the Quality of a Security Market: A New Approach to Transaction-Cost Measurement," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(1), pages 191-212.
- Schultz, Paul, 2003. "Who makes markets," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 49-72, January.
- Furfine, Craig, 2007. "When is inter-transaction time informative?," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 310-332, June.
- Martens, Martin, 1998. "Price discovery in high and low volatility periods: open outcry versus electronic trading," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 8(3-4), pages 243-260, December.
- Thierry Ané & Hélyette Geman, 2000. "Order Flow, Transaction Clock, and Normality of Asset Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 2259-2284, October.
- Roger D. Huang, 2002. "The Quality of ECN and Nasdaq Market Maker Quotes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(3), pages 1285-1319, 06.
- Grammig, Joachim & Melvin, Michael & Schlag, Christian, 2005.
"Internationally cross-listed stock prices during overlapping trading hours: price discovery and exchange rate effects,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 139-164, January.
- Joachim Grammig & Michael Melvin & Christian Schlag, 2005. "Internationally Cross-Listed Stock Prices During Overlapping Trading Hours: Price Discovery and Exchange Rate Effects," Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting 78, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1992. " Time and the Process of Security Price Adjustment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 576-605, June.
- Alfonso Dufour & Robert F. Engle, 2000.
"Time and the Price Impact of a Trade,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(6), pages 2467-2498, December.
- Dufour, Alfonso & Engle, Robert F, 1999. "Time and the Price Impact of a Trade," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt62c0h04j, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Glosten, Lawrence R. & Harris, Lawrence E., 1988. "Estimating the components of the bid/ask spread," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 123-142, May.
- Harris, Lawrence, 1987. "Transaction Data Tests of the Mixture of Distributions Hypothesis," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(02), pages 127-141, June.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Geoffrey Booth, G. & Tse, Yiuman & Zabotina, Tatyana, 2002. "Price discovery and common factor models," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 309-321, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:4456. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.