Journal of Public Economics
May 2000, Volume 76, Issue 2
- 239-261 Implementation of balanced linear cost share equilibrium solution in Nash and strong Nash equilibria
by Tian, Guoqiang
- 263-294 Death and dignity: Terminal illness and the market for non-treatment
by Byrne, Margaret M. & Thompson, Peter
- 295-306 Credibility may require discretion, not rules
by Cowen, Tyler & Glazer, Amihai & Zajc, Katarina
April 2000, Volume 76, Issue 1
- 1-39 Welfare and optimum dynamic taxation of consumption and income
by ColemanII, Wilbur John
- 41-67 Supermajority voting requirements for tax increases: evidence from the states
by Knight, Brian G.
- 69-85 Capitalization of capital gains taxes: evidence from stock price reactions to the 1997 rate reduction
by Lang, Mark H. & Shackelford, Douglas A.
- 87-104 Who wants to redistribute?: The tunnel effect in 1990s Russia
by Ravallion, Martin & Lokshin, Michael
- 105-125 Debts and deficits with fragmented fiscal policymaking
by Velasco, Andres
- 127-150 Optimal two-part tariffs in a model of discrete choice
by De Borger, Bruno
March 2000, Volume 75, Issue 3
- 313-313 Editorial
by Author, A.
- 315-340 Political uncertainty and the earmarking of environmental taxes
by Brett, Craig & Keen, Michael
- 341-364 Political sustainability and the design of social insurance
by Casamatta, Georges & Cremer, Helmuth & Pestieau, Pierre
- 365-387 Why are tax expenditures for giving embodied in fiscal constitutions?
by Scharf, Kimberley Ann
- 389-416 The political feasibility of pension reform options: the case of Switzerland
by Butler, Monika
- 417-438 Tax price effects on attitudes to hypothecated tax increases
by Hall, John & Preston, Ian
- 439-462 Earmarked taxation: welfare versus political support
by Bos, Dieter
- 463-481 Why poor countries rely mostly on redistribution in-kind
by Bearse, P. & Glomm, G. & Janeba, E.
- 483-492 What is benefit taxation?
by Hines Jr., James R.
- 493-506 Tax structure in a federation
by Goodspeed, Timothy J.
February 2000, Volume 75, Issue 2
- 157-182 Cash welfare as a consumption smoothing mechanism for divorced mothers
by Gruber, Jonathan
- 183-207 Immigration control and the welfare state
by Myers, Gordon M. & Papageorgiou, Yorgos Y.
- 209-227 Tax preferences for fringe benefits and workers' eligibility for employer health insurance
by Royalty, Anne Beeson
- 229-253 Scientific progress and irreversibility: an economic interpretation of the 'Precautionary Principle'
by Gollier, Christian & Jullien, Bruno & Treich, Nicolas
- 255-272 Determinants of donations in private nonprofit markets
by Okten, Cagla & Weisbrod, Burton A.
- 273-291 Optimal design of a phase-in emissions trading program
by Montero, Juan-Pablo
- 293-311 Public pensions, unemployment insurance, and growth
by Corneo, Giacomo & Marquardt, Marko
January 2000, Volume 75, Issue 1
- 1-20 Polarized platforms and moderate policies with checks and balances
by Alesina, Alberto & Rosenthal, Howard
- 21-47 Majority-rule bargaining and the under provision of public investment goods
by Leblanc, William & Snyder, James Jr. & Tripathi, Micky
- 49-71 Bureaucratic structure and bureaucratic performance in less developed countries
by Rauch, James E. & Evans, Peter B.
- 73-98 Financial pressure and the behaviour of public enterprises under soft and hard budget constraints: evidence from Italian panel data
by Bertero, Elisabetta & Rondi, Laura
- 99-124 Are public housing projects good for kids?
by Currie, Janet & Yelowitz, Aaron
- 125-143 Coveting thy neighbor's manufacturing: the dilemma of state income apportionment
by Goolsbee, Austan & Maydew, Edward L.
- 145-156 Taxation with little administration
by Glen Ueng, K. L. & Yang, C. C.
December 1999, Volume 74, Issue 3
- 299-325 Does monetary unification lead to excessive debt accumulation?
by Beetsma, Roel M. W. J. & Bovenberg, A. Lans
- 327-350 Education finance reform and investment in human capital: lessons from California
by Fernández, Raquel & Rogerson, Richard
- 351-393 More equal but less mobile?: Education financing and intergenerational mobility in Italy and in the US
by Checchi, Daniele & Ichino, Andrea & Rustichini, Aldo
- 395-430 Corruption, extortion and evasion
by Hindriks, Jean & Keen, Michael & Muthoo, Abhinay
- 431-450 Economies of scale and self-financing rules with non-competitive factor markets
by Small, Kenneth A.
November 1999, Volume 74, Issue 2
- 171-190 Fiscal policy and growth: evidence from OECD countries
by Kneller, Richard & Bleaney, Michael F. & Gemmell, Norman
- 215-234 The consequences of labour mobility for redistribution: tax vs. transfer competition
by Hindriks, Jean
- 235-262 Does Head Start help hispanic children?
by Currie, Janet & Thomas, Duncan
- 263-297 Growth, learning and redistributive policies
by Quadrini, Vincenzo
October 1999, Volume 74, Issue 1
- 1-30 The productivity of schools and other local public goods producers
by Hoxby, Caroline M.
- 31-51 NIMBY taxes matter: the case of state hazardous waste disposal taxes
by Levinson, Arik
- 53-80 How responsive is business capital formation to its user cost?: An exploration with micro data
by Chirinko, Robert S. & Fazzari, Steven M. & Meyer, Andrew P.
- 81-96 Did Steve Forbes scare the US municipal bond market?
by Slemrod, Joel & Greimel, Timothy
- 97-139 On the determinants of fiscal centralization: Theory and evidence
by Panizza, Ugo
- 141-150 Migration and pension with international capital mobility
by Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim
September 1999, Volume 73, Issue 3
- 297-319 Living standards and incentives in transition: the implications of UI exhaustion in Hungary
by Micklewright, John & Nagy, Gyula
- 321-351 Inter vivos transfers and intended bequests
by McGarry, Kathleen
- 353-371 Incomplete contracting and price regulation
by Bos, Dieter
- 373-393 Joint provision of public goods: the consolidation of school districts
by Brasington, David M.
- 395-421 Ricardian equivalence: long-run Leviathan
by Smetters, Kent
- 423-453 Optimal redistributive capital taxation in a neoclassical growth model
by Lansing, Kevin J.
August 1999, Volume 73, Issue 2
- 147-185 Do personal taxes affect corporate financing decisions?
by Graham, John R.
- 241-263 On the taxation of trade within and between households
by Apps, Patricia & Rees, Ray
- 265-288 The expected consumer's surplus as a welfare measure
by Stennek, Johan
- 289-295 Enforcement leverage when penalties are restricted: a reconsideration under asymmetric information
by Raymond, Mark
July 1999, Volume 73, Issue 1
- 1-30 Agency and the design of welfare systems
by Boadway, Robin & Marceau, Nicolas & Sato, Motohiro
- 31-54 The political economy of publicly provided private goods
by Blomquist, Soren & Christiansen, Vidar
- 55-83 Employment turnover and the public allocation of unemployment insurance
by Hassler, John & Rodriguez Mora, Jose V.
- 85-105 Public policies, regional inequalities and growth
by Martin, Philippe
- 107-123 The optimal linear taxation of employment and self-employment incomes
by Parker, Simon C.
- 125-134 How work effort responds to wage taxation: An experimental test of a zero top marginal tax rate
by Sillamaa, M. A.
- 135-145 On the difference between the compensating and equivalent variations due to a change in an exogenously determined commodity
by Latham, Roger
June 1999, Volume 72, Issue 3
- 329-360 The cost-effectiveness of alternative instruments for environmental protection in a second-best setting
by Goulder, Lawrence H. & Parry, Ian W. H. & Williams III, Roberton C. & Burtraw, Dallas
- 361-378 Regulatory dealing - revisiting the Harrington paradox
by Heyes, Anthony & Rickman, Neil
- 379-393 Remediation and self-reporting in optimal law enforcement
by Innes, Robert
- 395-419 Elite schools, high tech jobs and economic welfare
by Brunello, Giorgio & Ishikawa, Tsuneo
- 421-454 Comparing tax expenditures and direct subsidies: the role of legislative committee structure
by Dharmapala, Dhammika
- 455-470 Voluntary revelation of the demand for public goods using a provision point mechanism
by Rondeau, Daniel & D. Schulze, William & Poe, Gregory L.
- 471-485 Optimal taxation and fiscal constitution
by Gradstein, Mark
- 487-504 The political economy of public employment programs
by Fredriksson, Peter
May 1999, Volume 72, Issue 2
- 155-181 The demand for private health insurance: do waiting lists matter?
by Besley, Timothy & Hall, John & Preston, Ian
- 183-211 If we knew ability, how would we tax individuals?
by Plug, Erik J. S. & van Praag, Bernard M. S. & Hartog, Joop
- 213-242 Modeling charitable contributions of time and money
by Duncan, Brian
- 243-268 Implementing tax coordination
by Dhillon, Amrita & Perroni, Carlo & Scharf, Kimberley A.
- 269-288 An empirical study of matching grants: the 'cap on CAP'
by Baker, Michael & Payne, A. Abigail & Smart, Michael
- 289-315 State alcohol policies, teen drinking and traffic fatalities
by Dee, Thomas S.
- 317-324 The impact of changes in common property resource management on intrahousehold allocation
by Maggs, Philip & Hoddinott, John
April 1999, Volume 72, Issue 1
- 1-37 Inter-regional insurance
by Lockwood, Ben
- 39-59 A house of her own: old age assistance and the living arrangements of older nonmarried women
by Costa, Dora L.
- 61-72 Taxation of rent-seeking activities
by Glazer, Amihai & Konrad, Kai A.
- 73-98 Redistributive effect, progressivity and differential tax treatment: Personal income taxes in twelve OECD countries
by Wagstaff, Adam & van Doorslaer, Eddy & van der Burg, Hattem & Calonge, Samuel & Christiansen, Terkel & Citoni, Guido & Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Gerfin, Michael & Gross, Lorna & Hakinnen, Unto
- 99-120 The welfare effects of lotto: evidence from the UK
by Farrell, Lisa & Walker, Ian
- 121-134 The effect of group size on public good provision in a repeated game setting
by Pecorino, Paul
- 135-154 Can higher cigarette taxes improve birth outcomes?
by Evans, William N. & Ringel, Jeanne S.
March 1999, Volume 71, Issue 3
- 313-334 Restraining the Leviathan: property tax limitation in Massachusetts
by Cutler, David M. & Elmendorf, Douglas W. & Zeckhauser, Richard
- 335-354 A two-region model of redistribution, migration and international trade
by Huizinga, Harry
- 355-378 The capital gain lock-in effect and equilibrium returns
by Klein, Peter
- 379-402 "Basket cases": Tax incentives and international joint venture participation by American multinational firms
by Desai, Mihir A. & Hines Jr., James R.
- 403-414 Strategic risk taking when there is a public good to be provided privately
by Robledo, Julio R.
- 415-440 Truth or consequences: Enforcing pollution standards with self-reporting
by Livernois, John & McKenna, C. J.
- 441-458 Tax competition and tax coordination in an optimum income tax model
by Huber, Bernd
- 459-465 A simple proof of the efficiency of the poll tax
by Smart, Michael
February 1999, Volume 71, Issue 2
- 165-188 Re-examination of uniform commodity taxes under a non-linear income tax system and its implication for production efficiency
by Naito, Hisahiro
- 189-211 Public radio in the United States: does it correct market failure or cannibalize commercial stations?
by Berry, Steven T. & Waldfogel, Joel
- 213-232 The effect of old age assistance on retirement
by Friedberg, Leora
- 233-245 Tax incidence under oligopoly: a comparison of policy approaches
by Hamilton, Stephen F.
- 247-273 Changing the price of pork: the impact of local cost sharing on legislators' demands for distributive public goods
by DelRossi, Alison F. & Inman, Robert P.
- 275-287 Types and patterns: an experimental East-West-German comparison of cooperation and solidarity
by Ockenfels, Axel & Weimann, Joachim
- 289-309 Education, social security, and growth
by Kaganovich, Michael & Zilcha, Itzhak
January 1999, Volume 71, Issue 1
- 1-26 Optimal taxation and spending in general competitive growth models
by Judd, Kenneth L.
- 27-51 How do retirement tests affect the labour supply of older men?
by Baker, Michael & Benjamin, Dwayne
- 53-73 Voluntary provision of threshold public goods with continuous contributions: experimental evidence
by Cadsby, Charles Bram & Maynes, Elizabeth
- 75-96 Evaluating the minimum asset tax on corporations: an option pricing approach
by van Wijnbergen, Sweder & Estache, Antonio
- 97-119 Testable restrictions of Pareto optimal public good provision
by Snyder, Susan K.
- 121-139 Country size and tax competition for foreign direct investment
by Haufler, Andreas & Wooton, Ian
- 141-164 Rationing by waiting lists: an empirical investigation
by Martin, Stephen & Smith, Peter C.
December 1998, Volume 70, Issue 3
- 343-364 Externalities and optimal taxation
by Cremer, Helmuth & Gahvari, Firouz & Ladoux, Norbert
- 365-382 Redistribution and the marginal cost of public funds
by Sandmo, Agnar
- 383-398 Vertical externalities in tax setting: evidence from gasoline and cigarettes
by Besley, Timothy J. & Rosen, Harvey S.
- 399-424 Why the poor do not expropriate the rich: an old argument in new garb
by Roemer, John E.
- 425-440 Tax reform and collective family decision-making
by Brett, Craig
- 441-472 A state-contingent production approach to principal-agent problems with an application to point-source pollution control
by Quiggin, John & Chambers, Robert G.
- 473-483 Partial privatization in mixed duopoly
by Matsumura, Toshihiro
November 1998, Volume 70, Issue 2
- 185-205 Social interactions and habit formation in a model of female labour supply
by Woittiez, Isolde & Kapteyn, Arie
- 207-236 New evidence on pensions, social security, and the timing of retirement
by Samwick, Andrew A.
- 237-254 On the taxation of human and physical capital in models of endogenous growth
by Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria & Roubini, Nouriel
- 255-271 Differentiated payroll taxes, unemployment, and welfare
by Kolm, Ann-Sofie
- 273-295 Welfare measurement, green accounting and distortionary taxes
by Aronsson, Thomas
- 297-323 A theoretical analysis of altruism and decision error in public goods games
by Anderson, Simon P. & Goeree, Jacob K. & Holt, Charles A.
- 325-342 Efficiency inducing taxation for polluting oligopolists
by Benchekroun, Hassan & van Long, Ngo
October 1998, Volume 70, Issue 1
- 5-35 Class systems and the enforcement of social norms
by Cole, Harold L. & Mailath, George J. & Postlewaite, Andrew
- 37-51 Social organization, status, and savings behavior
by Corneo, Giacomo & Jeanne, Olivier
- 53-73 Social rewards, externalities and stable preferences
by Fershtman, Chaim & Weiss, Yoram
- 75-97 On the cultural transmission of preferences for social status
by Bisin, Alberto & Verdier, Thierry
- 99-113 Status-seeking, income taxation and efficiency
by Ireland, Norman J.
- 115-132 Self-fulfilling beliefs about social status
by Piketty, Thomas
- 133-155 Comparison-concave utility and following behaviour in social and economic settings
by Clark, Andrew E. & Oswald, Andrew J.
- 157-183 Relative income concerns and the rise in married women's employment
by Neumark, David & Postlewaite, Andrew
September 1998, Volume 69, Issue 3
- 305-321 Openness, country size and government
by Alesina, Alberto & Wacziarg, Romain
- 323-345 Does the government crowd-out private donations? New evidence from a sample of non-profit firms
by Payne, A. Abigail
- 347-370 Consequences of discretion in the formation of commodities policy
by McLaren, John
- 371-388 Social insurance and the optimum piecewise linear income tax
by Strawczynski, Michel
- 389-412 A predictive index for the flypaper effect
by Strumpf, Koleman S.
- 413-433 Uncertain income and redistribution in a federal system
by Lee, Kangoh
- 435-450 Distributional conflict and jurisdictional organization
by Warneryd, Karl
- 451-463 Foreign profits and domestic investment
by Weichenrieder, Alfons J.
June 1998, Volume 69, Issue 2
- 153-153 Editorial introduction
by Author, A.
- 155-193 Wealth and portfolio composition: Theory and evidence
by King, Mervyn A. & Leape, Jonathan I.
- 195-210 Effort levels in a Cournot Nash contest with asymmetric information
by Hurley, Terrance M. & Shogren, Jason F.
- 211-228 Educational vouchers, welfare effects, and voting
by Hoyt, William H. & Lee, Kangoh
- 229-247 Risky local tax bases: risk-pooling vs. rent-capture
by Wildasin, David E. & Wilson, John Douglas
- 249-261 Economy of specialization and diseconomy of externalities
by Chu, C. Y. Cyrus & Wang, C.
- 263-279 Corruption and the composition of government expenditure
by Mauro, Paolo
- 281-304 Private government
by Helsley, Robert W. & Strange, William C.
July 1998, Volume 69, Issue 1
- 1-16 Political internalization of economic externalities and environmental policy
by Aidt, Toke S.
- 17-48 Tax policy uncertainty and corporate investment: A theory of tax-induced investment spurts
by Alvarez, Luis H. R. & Kanniainen, Vesa & Sodersten, Jan
- 49-65 The impossibility of a progressive tax structure
by Moyes, Patrick & Shorrocks, Anthony
- 67-82 The effect of minimum-wage laws on the distribution of employment: theory and evidence
by Lang, Kevin & Kahn, Shulamit
- 83-102 The value of automobile travel time: implications for congestion policy
by Calfee, John & Winston, Clifford
- 103-121 Social evaluation functions, economic isolation and the Suits index of progressivity
by Duclos, Jean-Yves
- 123-141 Burglary and income inequality
by Chiu, W. Henry & Madden, Paul
- 143-152 Taxes, organizational form, and the deadweight loss of the corporate income tax
by Goolsbee, Austan
June 1998, Volume 68, Issue 3
- 307-308 Editorial Introduction
by Introduction, E.
- 309-334 Short-term and long-term government debt and nonresident interest withholding taxes
by Eijffinger, Sylvester C. W. & Huizinga, Harry P. & Lemmen, Jan J. G.
- 335-367 Taxes and the location of production: evidence from a panel of US multinationals
by Devereux, Michael P. & Griffith, Rachel
- 369-396 Can state taxes redistribute income?
by Feldstein, Martin & Wrobel, Marian Vaillant
- 397-420 Social insurance, majority voting and labor mobility
by Cremer, Helmuth & Pestieau, Pierre
- 421-452 The decline of welfare benefits in the U.S.: the role of wage inequality
by Moffitt, Robert & Ribar, David & Wilhelm, Mark
- 453-478 The consequences of overlapping tax bases for redistribution and public spending in a federation
by Boadway, Robin & Marchand, Maurice & Vigneault, Marianne
May 1998, Volume 68, Issue 2
- 153-180 Fiscal federalism and redistributive politics
by Dixit, Avinash & Londregan, John
- 181-206 The effect of means-tested income support for the elderly on pre-retirement saving: evidence from the SSI program in the U.S
by Neumark, David & Powers, Elizabeth
- 207-221 Information and strategyproofness in joint project selection
by Rosenthal, Edward C.
- 223-249 Annual versus lifetime income redistribution by social security
by Nelissen, Jan H. M.
- 251-268 Externalities vs internalities: a model of political integration
by Ellingsen, Tore
- 269-290 Taxes and the division of foreign operating income among royalties, interest, dividends and retained earnings
by Grubert, Harry
- 291-302 Labor income taxation and human capital accumulation
by Lin, Shuanglin
- 303-306 Tax and non-tax distortions
by Kaplow, Louis
April 1998, Volume 68, Issue 1
- 1-32 Gender discrimination without gender difference: theory and policy responses
by Francois, Patrick
- 33-53 Does means-testing welfare discourage saving? evidence from a change in AFDC policy in the United States
by Powers, Elizabeth T.
- 55-90 Capital income taxation and risk-taking in a small open economy
by Asea, Patrick K. & Turnovsky, Stephen J.
- 91-112 A Tiebout theory of public vs private provision of collective goods
by Glomm, Gerhard & Lagunoff, Roger
- 113-135 Local property taxation with external land ownership
by Kim, Junghun
- 137-151 Price-cap regulation and technical change
by Heyes, Anthony G. & Liston-Heyes, Catherine
March 1998, Volume 67, Issue 3
- 301-328 Federalism, equalization and risk aversion
by Bucovetsky, Sam
- 329-348 Post-secondary fees and the decision to attend a university or a community college
by Hilmer, Michael J.
- 349-367 Discriminatory public procurement policy and cost reduction incentives
by Naegelen, Florence & Mougeot, Michel
- 369-397 School heterogeneity, human capital accumulation, and standards
by Somanathan, Rohini
- 399-419 Capital gains taxation and residential mobility in Sweden
by Lundborg, Per & Skedinger, Per
- 421-436 Fiscal consequences of budget baselines
by Crain, W. Mark & Crain, Nicole Verrier
- 437-454 Global behaviour of a system with imperfect private-public substitutability
by Zhang, J.
February 1998, Volume 67, Issue 2
- 151-165 A framework for analyzing the political support for active labor market policy
by Saint-Paul, Gilles
- 167-193 Tax incentives for import-substituting foreign investment:: Does signaling play a role?
by Raff, Horst & Srinivasan, Krishna
- 195-220 Alternative rebate rules in the provision of a threshold public good: An experimental investigation
by Marks, Melanie & Croson, Rachel
- 221-240 Fiscal decentralization, public spending, and economic growth in China
by Zhang, Tao & Zou, Heng-fu
- 241-252 The inefficiency of the poll tax
by Peck, Richard M.
- 253-267 Public good provision and the welfare effects of indirect tax harmonisation
by Lahiri, Sajal & Raimondos-Moller, Pascalis
- 269-284 What do donations buy?: A model of philanthropy based on prestige and warm glow
by Harbaugh, William T.
- 285-300 Income taxation, uncertainty and stability
by Marhuenda, Francisco & Ortuno-Ortin, Ignacio
January 1998, Volume 67, Issue 1
- 1-24 Environmental tax policy and intergenerational distribution
by Bovenberg, A. Lans & Heijdra, Ben J.
- 25-43 Riding free on the signals of others
by Alexander-Cook, Kim & Bernhardt, Dan & Roberts, Joanne
- 45-64 When are anonymous congestion charges consistent with marginal cost pricing?
by Arnott, Richard & Kraus, Marvin
- 65-85 Are there dynamic gains from a poor-area development program?
by Jalan, Jyotsna & Ravallion, Martin
- 87-103 The value of explicit randomization in the tax code
by Pestieau, Pierre & Possen, Uri M. & Slutsky, Steven M.
- 105-122 Progressive taxation and the social marginal cost of public funds
by Dahlby, Bev
- 123-134 Tax evasion and orders of risk aversion
by Bernasconi, Michele
- 135-144 Asymmetric commodity tax competition -- comment on de Crombrugghe and Tulkens
by Haufler, Andreas
- 145-150 Welfare-consistent inequality indices in changing populations:: The marginal population replication axiomA Note
by Salas, Rafael