Journal of Public Economics
1996, Volume 61, Issue 2
- 193-208 Social protection and political competition
by Gabszewicz, J. J. & van Ypersele, T.
- 209-228 Endogenous fertility and the Henry George Theorem
by Schweizer, Urs
- 229-246 A minimalist model of federal grants and flypaper effects
by Brennan, G. & Pincus, J. J.
- 247-262 Suppes-Sen dominance, generalised Lorenz dominance and the welfare economics of competitive equilibrium: Some examples
by Madden, Paul
- 263-287 Reward structures in public good experiments
by Sefton, Martin & Steinberg, Richard
- 289-305 The marginal welfare cost of public funds: Theory and estimates
by Snow, Arthur & Warren, Ronald Jr.
1996, Volume 61, Issue 1
- 1-20 Unemployment and increasing private returns to human capital
by Saint-Paul, Gilles
- 21-47 The net national product and exhaustible resources: The effects of foreign trade
by Sefton, J. A. & Weale, M. R.
- 49-71 Interest-group politics under majority rule
by Dougan, William R. & Snyder, James Jr.
- 73-86 Technological linkages, market structure, and production policies
by Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Lovely, Mary E.
- 87-106 Production efficiency and the design of temporary investment incentives
by Jack, William & Viard, Alan D.
- 107-118 How to tax a spatial monopolist
by Heywood, John S. & Pal, Debashis
- 119-137 Optimal fiscal and public expenditure policy in a two-class economy
by Nava, Mario & Schroyen, Fred & Marchand, Maurice
- 139-154 International public goods and contribution productivity differentials
by Ihori, Toshihiro
1996, Volume 60, Issue 3
- 303-305 Editorial introduction to "Tax reforms and tax harmonization: Public choice versus public finance"
by Schneider, Friedrich
- 307-334 Designing tax policy in federalist economies: An overview
by Inman, Robert P. & Rubinfeld, Daniel L.
- 335-349 To harmonize or to compete? That's not the question
by Frey, Bruno S. & Eichenberger, Reiner
- 351-371 Tax harmonization and tax competition in the European Union: Lessons from Switzerland
by Kirchgassner, Gebhard & Pommerehne, Werner W.
- 373-399 Optimality properties of alternative systems of taxation of foreign capital income
by Mintz, Jack & Tulkens, Henry
- 401-422 Transfer pricing rules and corporate tax competition
by Elitzur, Ramy & Mintz, Jack
- 423-445 Foreign direct investment under oligopoly: Profit shifting or profit capturing?
by Janeba, Eckhard
1996, Volume 60, Issue 2
- 153-175 The role of social security in an economy with asymmetric information and financial intermediaries
by Reichlin, Pietro & Siconolfi, Paolo
- 177-198 Imperfect mobility and local government behaviour in an overlapping-generations model
by Wildasin, David E. & Wilson, John Douglas
- 199-219 Labour supply, household production and intra-family welfare distribution
by Apps, P. F. & Rees, R.
- 221-233 Fundamental irreversibilities in stock externalities
by Kolstad, Charles D.
- 235-249 Tax evasion and the optimum general income tax
by Cremer, Helmuth & Gahvari, Firouz
- 251-265 Cutting environmental penalties to protect the environment
by Heyes, Anthony G.
- 267-282 Budgetary deficits and Ricardian equivalence: The case of India, 1950-1986
by Ghatak, Anita & Ghatak, Subrata
- 283-294 Social security in a non-altruistic model with uncertainty and endogenous fertility
by Rosati, Furio Camillo
- 295-301 Exclusion and moral hazard: A further analysis
by Fraser, Clive D.
1996, Volume 60, Issue 1
- 1-19 Trade-offs in the spatial model of resource allocation
by Campbell, Donald E. & Kelly, Jerry S.
- 21-44 Optimal tax, debt, and expenditure policies in a growing economy
by Turnovsky, Stephen J.
- 45-71 Import tariffs and growth in a small open economy
by Osang, Thomas & Pereira, Alfredo
- 73-93 The provision of local public goods and factors in the presence of firm and household mobility
by Richter, Wolfram F. & Wellisch, Dietmar
- 95-110 Environmental consciousness and moral hazard in international agreements to protect the environment
by Petrakis, Emmanuel & Xepapadeas, Anastasios
- 111-130 On the provision of excludable public goods
by Fraser, Clive D.
- 131-146 Transition from a pay-as-you-go to a fully funded pension system: The case of differing individuals and intragenerational fairness
by Brunner, Johann K.
- 147-151 Should capital income be taxed in the steady state?
by Correia, Isabel H.
1996, Volume 59, Issue 3
- 313-334 Unemployment duration, unemployment benefits, and labor market programs in Sweden
by Carling, Kenneth & Edin, Per-Anders & Harkman, Anders & Holmlund, Bertil
- 335-364 The Groves-Ledyard mechanism: An experimental study of institutional design
by Chen, Yan & Plott, Charles R.
- 365-395 Reward patterns of fair solutions
by Fleurbaey, Marc
- 397-417 The dynamic efficiency cost of not taxing housing
by Skinner, Jonathan
- 419-434 Capital gains and net national product in open economies
by Asheim, Geir B.
- 435-451 The incidence of interest withholding taxes: Evidence from the LDC loan market
by Huizinga, Harry
1996, Volume 59, Issue 2
- 157-175 Do pensions increase the labor supply of older men?
by Ruhm, Christopher J.
- 177-193 Sentencing policy, implied demographic welfare weights, and the theory of sentencing reform
by Waldfogel, Joel
- 195-218 Do economic incentives affect work absence? Empirical evidence using Swedish micro data
by Johansson, Per & Palme, Marten
- 219-237 Majority voting with single-crossing preferences
by Gans, Joshua S. & Smart, Michael
- 239-263 Capital income taxation and long-run growth: New perspectives
by Razin, Assaf & Yuen, Chi-Wa
- 265-276 The Kaldor compensation test and rational choice
by Bossert, Walter
- 277-298 Income taxation and job-market signaling
by Andersson, Fredrik
- 299-308 Toilet cleaning and department chairing: Volunteering a public service
by Bilodeau, Marc & Slivinski, Al
- 309-311 The gains from agricultural research under distorted trade: Comments
by Voon, Thomas J.
1996, Volume 59, Issue 1
- 1-15 Competition and regulation in the taxi industry
by Cairns, Robert D. & Liston-Heyes, Catherine
- 17-32 Should a carbon tax be differentiated across sectors?
by Hoel, Michael
- 33-53 Regulation of multinational firms with two active governments: A common agency approach
by Bond, Eric W. & Gresik, Thomas A.
- 55-68 Charitable contributions and intergenerational transfers
by Auten, Gerald & Joulfaian, David
- 69-93 Dynamic income taxation, redistribution, and the ratchet effect
by Dillen, Mats & Lundholm, Michael
- 95-116 Non-point-source pollution regulation as a multi-task principal-agent problem
by Chambers, Robert G. & Quiggin, John
- 117-136 A prisoner's dilemma model of collusion deterrence
by Kofman, Fred & Lawarree, Jacques
- 137-152 Generalized Samuelson conditions and welfare theorems for nonsmooth economies
by Conley, John P. & Diamantaras, Dimitrios
1995, Volume 58, Issue 3
- 319-336 Regulation, moral hazard and insurance of environmental risks
by Laffont, Jean-Jacques
- 337-363 Rent seeking and tax competition
by Bucovetsky, S.
- 365-390 Non-leaky buckets: Optimal redistributive taxation and agency costs
by Hoff, Karla & Lyon, Andrew B.
- 391-415 Modelling the take-up of state support
by Duclos, Jean-Yves
- 417-428 From each according to his surplus: Equi-proportionate sharing of commodity tax burdens
by Hines, James Jr. & Hlinko, John C. & Lubke, Theodore J. F.
- 429-451 Lifetime income redistribution by the old-age state pension in The Netherlands
by Nelissen, Jan H. M.
- 453-467 On the principle of equal sacrifice in income taxation
by Ok, Efe A.
- 469-477 A note on subsidizing gifts
by Kaplow, Louis
1995, Volume 58, Issue 2
- 159-184 Market failure with moral hazard and side trading
by Kahn, Charles M. & Mookherjee, Dilip
- 185-213 Social security and endogenous growth
by Zhang, Jie
- 215-234 Optimal regulation of MNEs and government revenues
by Dasgupta, Sudipto & Sengupta, Kunal
- 235-256 Coordinated action in local public goods models: The case of secession without exclusion
by Austin, D. Andrew
- 257-265 Taxation, uncertainty and the choice of a consumption tax base
by Zodrow, George R.
- 267-282 Corrective tax and subsidy policies in economies with Bertrand competition
by Dillen, Mats
- 283-307 Promoting fair competition in public procurement
by Vagstad, Steinar
- 309-317 Observable preferences for public goods: A note on the incentive compatibility of inferring demand for public goods from private goods demand
by O'Reilly, Terrance
1995, Volume 58, Issue 1
- 1-32 Do 401(k) contributions crowd out other personal saving?
by Poterba, James M. & Venti, Steven F. & Wise, David A.
- 33-55 Nonlinear pricing and price cap regulation
by Amrstong, Mark & Cowan, Simon & Vickers, John
- 57-71 On the design of a neutral business tax under uncertainty
by Bonds, Stephen R. & Devereux, Michael P.
- 73-84 Uniform taxation and consumer preferences
by Besley, Timothy & Jewitt, Ian
- 85-105 Leaving some stones unturned: A reassessment of iterative planning theory
by Spagat, M.
- 107-126 The private provision of public goods: Altruism and voluntary giving
by Smith, Vincent H. & Kehoe, Michael R. & Cremer, Mary E.
- 127-141 Short-lived agents and the long-lived environment
by John, A. & Pecchenino, R. & Schimmelpfennig, D. & Schreft, S.
- 143-158 Equivalence scales in a rank-3 demand system
by Pashardes, Panos
1995, Volume 57, Issue 3
- 337-367 Demand for health insurance and precautionary motives for savings among the elderly
by Levin, Laurence
- 369-391 Environmental quality and pollution-augmenting technological change in a two-sector endogenous growth model
by Lans Bovenberg, A. & Smulders, Sjak
- 393-416 Strategic control of growth in a system of cities
by Brueckner, Jan K.
- 417-430 The importance of reporting conventions for the theory of corporate taxation
by Kanniainen, Vesa & Sodersten, Jan
- 431-455 Using markets to allocate pollution permits and other scarce resource rights under limited information
by Lewis, Tracy R. & Sappington, David E. M.
- 457-470 Oligopoly structure and the incidence of cigarette excise taxes
by Barnett, Paul G. & Keeler, Theodore E. & Hu, Teh-wei
- 471-488 Unnatural monopoly
by Estrin, Saul & de Meza, David
- 489-505 Strategic transfers and private provision of public goods
by Buchholz, Wolfgang & Konrad, Kai A.
- 507-507 Editorial announcement
by Atkinson, Tony & Stern, Nick
1995, Volume 57, Issue 2
- 175-199 Testing a social safety net
by Ravallion, Martin & van de Walle, Dominique & Gautam, Madhur
- 201-217 Energy tax credits and residential conservation investment: Evidence from panel data
by Hassett, Kevin A. & Metcalf, Gilbert E.
- 219-234 Government markets and the theory of the Nth best
by Hahn, Robert W.
- 235-247 The social cost of rent seeking under countervailing opposition to distortionary transfers
by Fabella, Raul V.
- 249-276 A rational expectations model for tax policy analysis: An evaluation of tax incentives for the textile, chemical and pharmaceutical industries of Pakistan
by Rajagopal, Dagmar & Shah, Anwar
- 277-296 Fiscal stress and the production of public safety: A distance function approach
by Grosskopf, S. & Hayes, K. & Hirschberg, J.
- 297-316 The taxation of mobile capital by central cities
by Noiset, Luc & Oakland, William
- 317-335 The incidence of agricultural policies
by Chambers, Robert G.
1995, Volume 57, Issue 1
- 1-23 Economic aspects of optimal disability benefits
by Diamond, Peter & Sheshinski, Eytan
- 25-43 A model of monopoly with strategic government intervention
by Anant, T. C. A. & Basu, Kaushik & Mukherji, Badal
- 45-65 Solvency of counter-cyclical policy rules
by van der Ploeg, Frederick
- 67-83 Why voters vote for incumbents but against incumbency: A rational choice explanation
by Friedman, Daniel & Wittman, Donald
- 85-101 Stoking the fires? CO2 emissions and economic growth
by Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Selden, Thomas M.
- 103-127 Heterogeneity of preferences for local public goods: The case of private expenditure on public education
by Gross, John
- 129-167 The connection between public transfers and private interfamily transfers
by Cox, Donald & Jakubson, George
- 169-173 Public pensions with endogenous fertility: Comment on Nishimura and Zhang
by Cigno, Alessandro
1995, Volume 56, Issue 3
- 329-353 The political economy of inaction
by Howitt, Peter & Wintrobe, Ronald
- 355-375 Double inefficiency in optimally organized firms
by Bos, Dieter & Peters, Wolfgang
- 377-411 Testing the impact of taxation on capacity choice: A 'putty clay' approach
by Harchaoui, Tarek M. & Lasserre, Pierre
- 413-446 A Pareto-improving commodity tax reform under a smooth nonlinear income tax
by Konishi, Hideo
- 447-460 Productivity in multiple output public service: A quadratic frontier function and Malmquist index approach
by Bjurek, Hans & Hjalmarsson, Lennart
- 461-474 Evaluating effective income tax progression
by Hayes, Kathy J. & Lambert, Peter J. & Slottje, Daniel J.
- 475-484 Regulatory errors, optimal fines and the level of compliance
by Bose, Pinaki
- 485-498 Observability and choice of instrument mix in the control of externalities
by Xepapadeas, A. P.
1995, Volume 56, Issue 2
- 165-187 Capital budgets, borrowing rules, and state capital spending
by Poterba, James M.
- 189-223 Randomization in optimal income tax schedules
by Brito, Dagobert L. & Hamilton, Jonathan H. & Slutsky, Steven M. & Stiglitz, Joseph E.
- 225-244 Simulation of indirect tax reforms using pooled micro and macro French data
by Nichele, Veronique & Robin, Jean-Marc
- 245-255 The consequences of minimum wage laws Some new theoretical ideas
by Rebitzer, James B. & Taylor, Lowell J.
- 257-272 Charity donations in the UK: New evidence based on panel data
by Khanna, Jyoti & Posnett, John & Sandler, Todd
- 273-289 Equivalence scales and the costs of disability
by Jones, Andrew & O'Donnell, Owen
- 291-310 Uncertainty and optimal taxation: In defense of commodity taxes
by Cremer, Helmuth & Gahvari, Firouz
- 311-325 Corporate income tax competition, double taxation treaties, and foreign direct investment
by Janeba, Eckhard
- 327-328 Qalys: A comment
by Johannesson, Magnus
1995, Volume 56, Issue 1
- 1-30 A utility-consistent, combined discrete choice and count data model Assessing recreational use losses due to natural resource damage
by Hausman, Jerry A. & Leonard, Gregory K. & McFadden, Daniel
- 31-53 Multi-firm regulation without lump-sum taxes
by Lockwood, Ben
- 55-77 Competition in regional environmental policies when plant locations are endogenous
by Markusen, James R. & Morey, Edward R. & Olewiler, Nancy
- 79-96 Which tax rate do people use: Average or marginal?
by de Bartolome, Charles A. M.
- 97-123 Misperceived job hazards and welfare
by Fraser, Clive D.
- 125-141 Incomplete information and optimal market structure public purchases from private providers
by McGuire, Thomas G. & Riordan, Michael H.
- 143-161 Dynamic public goods provision with coalitional manipulation
by Chakravorti, Bhaskar
1994, Volume 55, Issue 3
- 349-390 Environmental policy, public finance and the labour market in a second-best world
by Bovenberg, A. L. & van der Ploeg, F.
- 391-405 Existence of fair allocations in economies with production
by Piketty, Thomas
- 407-431 Labour supply, tax evasion and the marginal cost of public funds an empirical investigation
by Fortin, Bernard & Lacroix, Guy
- 433-464 State-mandated benefits and employer-provided health insurance
by Gruber, Jonathan
- 465-493 Privatization and changes in welfare costs of inflation the case of ENTel Argentina
by Abdala, Manuel Angel
- 495-504 In-kind transfers, cash grants and labor supply
by Gahvari, Firouz
1994, Volume 55, Issue 2
- 167-184 Interregional spillovers in the presence of perfect and imperfect household mobility
by Wellisch, Dietmar
- 185-201 Mass migration, unions, and government intervention
by Schmidt, Christoph M. & Stilz, Anette & Zimmermann, Klaus F.
- 203-231 Privatization, risk-taking, and the communist firm
by Demougin, Dominique & Sinn, Hans-Werner
- 233-255 The effectiveness of corporate tax incentives for foreign investment in the presence of tax crediting
by Mintz, Jack M. & Tsiopoulos, Thomas
- 257-278 Tax evasion and the allocation of capital
by Fullerton, Don & Karayannis, Marios
- 279-306 Tax distortions to the choice of organizational form
by Gordon, Roger H. & MacKie-Mason, Jeffrey K.
- 307-321 Costs of monitoring and corporate taxation
by Kanniainen, Vesa & Sodersten, Jan
- 323-347 Credit and deferral as international investment incentives
by Hines, James Jr.
1994, Volume 55, Issue 1
- 1-18 Report of the IEA Committee on a new School of Economics and Economic Development (SEED) in the Third World
by Dreze, Jacques H. & Arrow, Kenneth & Atkinston, Anthony B. & Basu, Kaushik & Honkapohja, Seppo & Krueger, Anne & Morales, Juan-Antonio & Stern, Nicholas
- 19-40 Pecuniary redistribution through in-kind programs
by Coate, Stephen & Johnson, Stephen & Zeckhauser, Richard
- 41-51 Fixing the leak in Okun's bucket optimal tax progressivity when avoidance can be controlled
by Slemrod, Joel
- 53-70 Representative democracy and capital taxation
by Persson, Torsten & Tabellini, Guido
- 71-88 Towards a theory of the direct-indirect tax mix
by Boadway, Robin & Marchand, Maurice & Pestieau, Pierre
- 89-105 Parental and social valuations of child health information
by Agee, Mark D. & Crocker, Thomas D.
- 107-119 Altruistic voting and campaign contributions
by Helsley, Robert W. & O'Sullivan, Arthur
- 121-140 How cynical can an incumbent be? Strategic policy in a model of government spending
by Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria & Spolaore, Enrico
- 141-162 Incomplete enforcement with endogenous regulatory choice
by Garvie, Devon & Keeler, Andrew
1994, Volume 54, Issue 3
- 325-338 Strategic environmental policy and intrenational trade
by Barrett, Scott
- 339-359 The effects of compulsory schooling on growth, income distribution and welfare
by Eckstein, Zvi & Zilcha, Itzhak
- 361-389 Learning the preferences of governments and voters from proposed spending and aggregated votes
by Rothstein, Paul
- 391-402 Tax evasion and the size of the underground economy
by Jung, Young H. & Snow, Arthur & Trandel, Gregory A.
- 403-421 The comparative static properties of the impure public good model
by Cornes, Richard & Sandler, Todd
- 423-435 Taxation in a two-sided search model
by Smith, Eric
- 437-461 On the effects of investment tax credits on economic efficiency and growth
by Pereira, Alfredo M.
- 463-484 Information expropriation and moral hazard in optimal second-source auctions
by Stole, Lars A.
1994, Volume 54, Issue 2
- 161-183 Privatization in Eastern Europe : Irreversibility and critical mass effects
by Roland, Gerard & Verdier, Thierry
- 185-200 Individual behaviour in a free riding experiment
by Weimann, Joachim
- 201-221 Are efficient linear taxes inequitable?
by de Bartolome, Charles A. M.
- 223-242 The second theorem of the second best
by Hoff, Karla
- 243-266 The impact of U.S. tax reform on foreign direct investment in the United States
by Swenson, Deborah L.
- 267-286 Pigou and Coase : A mathematical reconciliation
by DeSerpa, Allan C.
- 287-307 Public capital and the demand for private inputs
by Seitz, Helmut
- 309-321 The provision of public goods via advertising : Existence of equilibria and welfare analysis
by Luski, Israel & Wettstein, David
1994, Volume 54, Issue 1
- 1-36 Group size and the voluntary provision of public goods : Experimental evidence utilizing large groups
by Isaac, R. Mark & Walker, James M. & Williams, Arlington W.
- 37-49 Tax policy and urban development : Evidence from the Indiana enterprise zone program
by Papke, Leslie E.
- 51-63 Tax-earmarking and separate school financing
by Bilodeau, Marc
- 65-96 An explanation for why senators from the same state vote differently so frequently
by Jung, Gi-Ryong & Kenny, Lawrence W. & Lott, John Jr.
- 97-119 Transitional dynamics and the distribution of wealth in a neoclassical growth model
by Chatterjee, Satyajit
- 121-143 Probability of purchase, amount of purchase, and the demographic incidence of the lottery tax
by Scott, Frank & Garen, John
- 145-160 Managing water supply shortage : Interruption vs. pricing
by Woo, Chi-Keung
1994, Volume 53, Issue 3
- 327-365 How reliable are microsimulation results? : An analysis of the role of sampling error in a U.K. tax-benefit model
by Pudney, Stephen & Sutherland, Holly
- 367-394 How well do static indicators identify the chronically poor?
by Chaudhuri, Shubham & Ravallion, Martin
- 395-418 Corporation tax asymmetries and investment : Evidence from U.K. panel data
by Devereux, Michael P. & Keen, Michael & Schiantarelli, Fabio
- 419-433 The non-tax wedge
by Browning, Edgar K.
- 435-457 Interstate commodity tax differentials and the distribution of residents
by Trandel, Gregory A.
- 459-475 A coasean general equilibrium model of regulation
by Clay, Karen
- 477-495 Government intervention as a bequest substitute
by Strawczynski, Michael
1994, Volume 53, Issue 2
- 165-186 Sequential contributions to public goods
by Varian, Hal R.
- 187-204 Proprietary public finance and economic welfare
by Grossman, Herschel I. & Noh, Suk Jae
- 205-222 Capital income taxation and international portfolio choice
by Werner, Ingrid M.
- 223-244 Taxes, financial decisions and organizational form : Evidence from publicly traded partnerships
by Gentry, William M.
- 245-267 Taxes, housing, and capital accumulation in a two-sector growing economy
by Turnovsky, Stephen J. & Okuyama, Toshiyuki
- 269-290 The optimal two-bracket linear income tax
by Slemrod, Joel & Yitzhaki, Shlomo & Mayshar, Joram & Lundholm, Michael
- 291-308 Exclusion and the private enforcement of property rights
by Helsley, Robert W. & Strange, William C.
- 309-317 The shadow wage rate : Theory and application
by Dinwiddy, Caroline & Teal, Francis
- 319-323 The non-equalization of true gift and estate tax rates
by Kuehlwein, Michael
1994, Volume 53, Issue 1
- 1-29 Unemployment insurance taxes and the cyclical and seasonal properties of unemployment
by Card, David & Levine, Phillip B.
- 31-51 The reasonableness of non-constant discounting
by Harvey, Charles M.
- 53-71 A Pareto comparison of ad valorem and unit taxes in noncompetitive environments
by Skeath, Susan E. & Trandel, Gregory A.
- 73-89 Local fiscal policies, default risk, and municipal borrowing costs
by Capeci, John